Casio J-51W-ISO help on how to change the battery

Thread: Casio J-51W-ISO help on how to change the battery

Casio J-51W-ISO help on how to change the battery

I'm new to this board, which I found via a Google search on trying to figure out how to change the battery on this watch. I have one of these Casio J-51w watches that I haven't used for a long time. I'm trying to change the battery. I popped open the back, but there's a silver metal cover clasp that I can't figure out how to release, which holds the battery in place. I can't remove the battery without figuring out how to open that silver metal clasp. I tried lifting it, but there's a trick to it that I can't figure out. I can't find the manual for module 208 and a Google search, Youtube search, and a search of Watchuseek, doesn't give any answers. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: Casio J-51W-ISO help on how to change the battery

Hi,

You should post a picture of the battery clip.

Re: Advice on old quartz watches

Welcome aboard, Casioj51w! Let me know if this doesn't help you out: How to Replace a Lithium Battery - YouTube

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You probably need a small needle - the metal clasp attaches under a little plastic piece - put the needle in there and carefully open it.

edit: I moved some posts from another thread with the same question. Starting a new one was the better idea .

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; April 14th, 2014 at 00:30.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Sedi-Thanks for removing the other posts. I searched the archives first and posted from there, then thought noone may check the older threads. My apologies as a newbie.

d2mac-I didn't know I could post a photo, so here it is. I tried to upload 2 photos, but it apparently goes over the file size maximum so I'll post another post. Airwatch & Sedi-I had seen that video, but I can't figure out which hole the needle goes to open the latch. I ain't that old, but seeing inside (with my glasses on) is not easy. The video makes it look easier than it apparently is.

In any event, thanks for your ideas and suggestions.
    Name:  IMG-20140413-00755.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  84.5 KB

Never mind--I kept at it and finally sunk the battleship! The clasp opened! Thanks again for your help.

OP solved his problem -- but for others who might find this thread via Google or another search engine -- here's how to properly remove the cell.

I own a Casio J-50 which is the 1st generation of this watch with the same 208 quartz module. I believe the differences are minor case design changes. Cell is a Lithium CR2016 (versus the CR1616 some sites incorrectly state). The very thin metal strap over the cell is spring steel and clips into place. If you look carefully at the upper right you'll see the slot is a bit wider and down inside a tab juts out on the right edge of the clip. Using a very tiny screwdriver or perhaps the end of a paper clip, push that tab in a direction away from the cell (toward the upper right in this photo). It will release that end of the clip. Wood toothpicks discouraged as they can leave wood debris behind (not good). The other end of the clip should come out on its own. Unless someone has tweaked it, the clip will have a curvature to it. Replacing it is easy. Put one end in and hold it down while pushing the other end in. Don't pull upward on the clip much or you'll likely pull the entirel movement out of the watch. There's nothing holding it in other than a little friction around the sides.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Casioj51w View Post
    Sedi-Thanks for removing the other posts. I searched the archives first and posted from there, then thought noone may check the older threads. My apologies as a newbie.

d2mac-I didn't know I could post a photo, so here it is. I tried to upload 2 photos, but it apparently goes over the file size maximum so I'll post another post. Airwatch & Sedi-I had seen that video, but I can't figure out which hole the needle goes to open the latch. I ain't that old, but seeing inside (with my glasses on) is not easy. The video makes it look easier than it apparently is.

In any event, thanks for your ideas and suggestions.
    Name:  IMG-20140413-00755.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  84.5 KB

Thread Information