Casio Lineage LCW-M170TD
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Casio Lineage LCW-M170TD

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Casio Lineage LCW-M170TD

There's been a few threads about the excellent LCW-M100Ds, and a few mentions of the LCW-M170TD, but I've not yet seen any threads dedicated to it, yet.

Same module as used in the LCW-M100Ds (as well as several other models), so tough solar, multiband 6. The LCW-M170 is available in stainless steel, as well as titanium (as are the LCW-M100s), and in some other colour derivatives not seen (I think) with the LCW-M100Ds (ie all black - not for me, personally, but I know some like them like that).

So ostensibly very similar to the LCW-M100D - visually very similar, same module, so same features, same water resistance rating (50m), also available with sapphire glass. The face is slightly bigger, and in general, it looks slightly more elegant / dressy. They've tried to reduced the impact of the "feature" writing on the face (ie "MULTI BAND 6" and "TOUGH SOLAR" is still there, but they've seemingly reduced the font size, slightly, and move some of it to look more subtle.

My only real bugbear with the LCW-M100Ds was the chapter ring looking rather cheap and plastic-y, they've very much improved the look of that on the LCW-M170.

As to the size, well personally I'm quite comfortable with modestly sized watches - the LCW-M100D was probably on the smaller size that most manly-men feel comfortable to wear, without being all self-conscious over whether it makes them look a bit girly. If you suffer from that affliction, the LCW-M170 is just that bit bigger, so you'll not have to feel you're not a real man, if you choose to wear one.

Here's some pics I took, comparing it to my JDM LCW-M100D (which in comparison, doesn't have sapphire glass). I do have a LCW-M100DSE-2AER with sapphire glass, but has the blue face and isn't on the stock bracelet, so I figured this one with a white face would be a more fitting comparison.

So this is a LCW-M170TD-7AER (titanium, sapphire glass) and a LCW-M100D-2AJF (stainless, not sapphire):-

Name:  IMG_20150928_105121.jpg
Views: 4812
Size:  139.9 KB

I was very interested in this model when I'd first noticed it, although already having two LCW-M100Ds I wasn't that highly motivated to splurge on one. Have to say, though, now I've got one I really like it. I've often championed the LCW-M100D as something of a bargain as well as a sleeper, and I know the 170 is more expensive, but the only thing that irritated me about the 100 was that once you'd noticed how naff the chapter ring looked, it always niggled.

I'm delighted with it, titanium, sapphire, solar, atomic, and perfect second hand alignment.

Re: Casio Lineage LCW-M170TD

I own a WVA-M640, which is a cheaper cousin to the Lineage line but I believe they share the same module, the 5161. I love wearing the 640, but this whole genre of Casio watches get very, very little attention here, they are lost in the shadows of the G-Shocks.

The Lineage line of watches are beautiful!
    Rocat likes this.
    Tom

Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more, than the traveling hands of time.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierTrooper View Post
    I own a WVA-M640, which is a cheaper cousin to the Lineage line but I believe they share the same module, the 5161. I love wearing the 640, but this whole genre of Casio watches get very, very little attention here, they are lost in the shadows of the G-Shocks.

The Lineage line of watches are beautiful!
    There's a 640 in the household - I got it for my son. Like you say, same module, but WR is more highly rated, I think?

I quite like it as a watch, it reminds me of an improved WVA-430.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Very elegant.
    But there are some less cluttered Versions of the LCW-M100 too!

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    Very elegant.
    But there are some less cluttered Versions of the LCW-M100 too!

Yeah, I bought the one you've posted for a family member, and the LCW-M100DSE-7A2ER for somebody else.

And whilst I love the 100 series, I just think they've really refined it perfectly in the 170s.
    FROG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wongsky View Post
    There's a 640 in the household - I got it for my son. Like you say, same module, but WR is more highly rated, I think?

I quite like it as a watch, it reminds me of an improved WVA-430.
    The 640 is rated at 10 bar. The WVA-640 is an updated version of the WVA-470, which I also have, and I guess was an improved version of the 430. It's lighter, multiband 6 and the minute hand moves every 10 seconds as opposed to the 470 which moves every 20 seconds. Here they are, synced to the exact same time.

FROG likes this.
    Tom

Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more, than the traveling hands of time.

The LCW-M170 looks really nice, and I might be tempted...

But I'm NOT buying any more watches...

Well, not for a while...
    FROG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoBear View Post
    The LCW-M170 looks really nice, and I might be tempted...

But I'm NOT buying any more watches...

Well, not for a while...
    I've been saying that for a while - the only watch I really wanted was the OCW-S100P, but when opportunity presented to get an LCW-170TD for a good price, I couldn't resist.
    Rocat and FROG like this.

I wish the LCD was illuminated with an led.
    FROG likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Analogs with black dial is easier to the eyes. White dial is just too bright for me, but of course, for each their own. Also one drawback for the Lineage line is that they use a 4 screws backplate instead of a screw back. For a luxurious looking watch, that's a no no. Don't know why Casio do that, they could have done it with screw back with little or no extra cost.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information