Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By jcombs1
  • 2 Post By gee_im_shocked
  • 4 Post By Ralphee
  • 1 Post By samael_6978
  • 1 Post By trott3r

Thread: Casio Lineage vs Oceanus

Casio Lineage vs Oceanus

I recently stumbled across the Lineage line of watches from Casio. I'm sort of looking for a quartz, analogue everyday watch. I have several automatic watches and several G Shocks and like them all but after breaking the movement in my Seiko SKX007 I've considered replacing it with an analog quartz. This watch would fit somewhere between the the G's and the autos and would get regularly worn in a variety of environments.

The Oceanus line is interesting to me for a lot of reasons but it's fairly expensive, ~$500ish, and its larger than I want at 42mm. I've also read that some models have proprietary lugs and strap changes are not as convenient.

I'm curious if anyone has long term experience with the Lineage watches from Casio, specifically the model I am interested in is the LIW T100TD

Name:  64334487-1D7F-4237-B68F-6B492F17804D-3692-000005E5FAF0159E.jpeg
Views: 1052
Size:  32.8 KB
    This model can be bought for ~250-$300. It has a Titanium case and bracelet, is smaller at ~39mm, Solar/Atomic, tough movement, standard 20mm lugs, 100m WR and looks nice, I think. I travel a bit and it checks a lot of boxes for me.

Some negatives, compared to the Oceanus, are that the Titanium isn't treated and purportedly scratches more easily and the glass is mineral vs. sapphire. These negatives aren't deal breakers they're just, well, negatives in my mind.

I'm not completely sure when these models were released or where they even fit in the Casio hierarchy. The ones available may be old stock or specific to a certain market, I just don't know.

I did find a review from 2013 that speaks favorably of this model but I'm hopeful someone has some more recent or longer term information/experience.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/cas...jf-929703.html

There is also a white dialed version of this watch and several Ana/digi models in the Lineage offering.

Name:  8ECFA385-D224-46F2-AA41-0B166E7A7B58-3692-000005ECE8B724D5.jpeg
Views: 1059
Size:  114.2 KB
    I may just stick with my current selection but this watch has at least gotten me curious to learn more about the Lineage line. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jcombs1; August 20th, 2017 at 00:58.
    flu, MainePorsche and Mrcrooka1 like this.

Re: Casio Lineage vs Oceanus

Those two are both beauts.

I suspect that if you held Lineage and Oceanus in your hand, side by side, the difference in cost would be evident - deeper, luxurious blues, better glass, slightly crisper detailing. But the differences would not be great, as these things tend to the asymptotic. I have been very tempted with some Lineage watches on Amazon, and have given them serious thought.
    idkfa and jcombs1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gee_im_shocked View Post
    Those two are both beauts.

I suspect that if you held Lineage and Oceanus in your hand, side by side, the difference in cost would be evident - deeper, luxurious blues, better glass, slightly crisper detailing. But the differences would not be great, as these things tend to the asymptotic. I have been very tempted with some Lineage watches on Amazon, and have given them serious thought.
    That's probably right, I would think the details are the reason for the difference in price. In this situation I can probably look past them. After all it would be a daily wearer and would see some abuse. I was mostly curious if anyone was familiar with the line as I had never seen it before.

It seems odd that Casio would produce two very similar product lines from a feature standpoint yet price them so differently.
    As as you stated, the difference is likely in the details and that may be reason enough.

I'd love to hear from someone who has owned one of these models or better yet both of them, Oceanus and Lineage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jcombs1 View Post
    I'd love to hear from someone who has owned one of these models or better yet both of them, Oceanus and Lineage.
    I own two Lineage LIW-M610 and three Oceanus OCW-M700 (in different color combinations), and wear them regularly. Of course you do feel the difference in execution and details, and if your budget allows, the Oceanus certainly is the nicer watch to own. But as a daily beater, the Lineage is (and looks) perfectly fine.

The movements are standard Casio construction and thus of similar quality. Detailing and print quality on the dials are similar too, while case design and materials (notably coated sapphire glass and titanium vs. mineral glass and stainless steel) betray the more elaborate Oceanus design.

The hands are set very precisely and exactly hit the markers on all the Oceanus' and Lineages I own, which is something you unfortunately can't take for granted anymore on recent Casios. One gripe is the limited 5 atm (50m) water resistance of the Lineages. Yet, I never had problems, despite regularly swimming with them.

In terms of functionality, I prefer the module of the Lineage LIW-M610: 24h chrono, 24h timer and alarm besides the Multiband 6 reception combine to an unbeatable package for the price. IMO one of the best modules Casio ever produced.

Hope that helps your decision.
    Last edited by Ralphee; August 20th, 2017 at 15:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphee View Post
    I own two Lineage LIW-M610 and three Oceanus OCW-M700 (in different color combinations), and wear them regularly. Of course you do feel the difference in execution and details, and if your budget allows, the Oceanus certainly is the nicer watch to own. But as a daily beater, the Lineage is (and looks) perfectly fine.

The movements are standard Casio construction and thus of similar quality. Detailing and print quality on the dials are similar too, while case design and materials (notably coated sapphire glass and titanium vs. mineral glass and stainless steel) betray the more elaborate Oceanus design.

The hands are set very precisely and exactly hit the markers on all the Oceanus' and Lineages I own, which is something you unfortunately can't take for granted anymore on recent Casios. One gripe is the limited 5 atm (50m) water resistance of the Lineages. Yet, I never had problems, despite regularly swimming with them.

In terms of functionality, I prefer the module of the Lineage LIW-M610: 24h chrono, 24h timer and alarm besides the Multiband 6 reception combine to an unbeatable package for the price. IMO one of the best modules Casio ever produced.

Hope that helps your decision.
    Exactly what I was looking for, thanks. You've confirmed what I thought might be the case, the Oceanus is a slightly nicer watch but the Lineage is not far behind. I have plenty of nicer watches and can excuse the lesser fit and finish of the Lineage for the daily wear and abuse it will see.

The Lineage chrono model you have is very nice. I wonder if the T100TD that I'm looking at might be a little closer in spec to the Oceanus? It is Titanium and 100m WR although not Sapphire. Really it doesn't matter, as I've mentioned it's close enough for its intended usage. The extra WR might come in handy or at least offer some peace of mind and you've not had any issues with the 50m WR.

The Lineage line does seem to offer really good value for money, good features at a solid price point. I'm going to stalk the T100TD and see if I can't find a little better deal.

Thanks again Ralphee for for your reply and input.

Quote Originally Posted by jcombs1 View Post
    I recently stumbled across the Lineage line of watches from Casio. I'm sort of looking for a quartz, analogue everyday watch. I have several automatic watches and several G Shocks and like them all but after breaking the movement in my Seiko SKX007 I've considered replacing it with an analog quartz. This watch would fit somewhere between the the G's and the autos and would get regularly worn in a variety of environments.

The Oceanus line is interesting to me for a lot of reasons but it's fairly expensive, ~$500ish, and its larger than I want at 42mm. I've also read that some models have proprietary lugs and strap changes are not as convenient.

I'm curious if anyone has long term experience with the Lineage watches from Casio, specifically the model I am interested in is the LIW T100TD

Name:  64334487-1D7F-4237-B68F-6B492F17804D-3692-000005E5FAF0159E.jpeg
Views: 1052
Size:  32.8 KB
    This model can be bought for ~250-$300. It has a Titanium case and bracelet, is smaller at ~39mm, Solar/Atomic, tough movement, standard 20mm lugs, 100m WR and looks nice, I think. I travel a bit and it checks a lot of boxes for me.

Some negatives, compared to the Oceanus, are that the Titanium isn't treated and purportedly scratches more easily and the glass is mineral vs. sapphire. These negatives aren't deal breakers they're just, well, negatives in my mind.

I'm not completely sure when these models were released or where they even fit in the Casio hierarchy. The ones available may be old stock or specific to a certain market, I just don't know.

I did find a review from 2013 that speaks favorably of this model but I'm hopeful someone has some more recent or longer term information/experience.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/cas...jf-929703.html

There is also a white dialed version of this watch and several Ana/digi models in the Lineage offering.

Name:  8ECFA385-D224-46F2-AA41-0B166E7A7B58-3692-000005ECE8B724D5.jpeg
Views: 1059
Size:  114.2 KB
    I may just stick with my current selection but this watch has at least gotten me curious to learn more about the Lineage line. Thanks in advance.
    Lineage in this pic has the same movement as this Oceanus, which can be had for under $400.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    jcombs1 likes this.

My casio oceanus does have a slight second hand alignment issue that the routine in the manual doesnt fix. :(
    jcombs1 likes this.
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

Thread Information