Casio MTG-930DU-8VER G-Shock Watch not functioning

Thread: Casio MTG-930DU-8VER G-Shock Watch not functioning

Casio MTG-930DU-8VER G-Shock Watch not functioning

Hello,

I have just received my new Casio MTG-930DU-8VER G-Shock Watch. This the second one I've owned as I lost my previous one while working on my car last year, I missed i so much I brought it again.
    I have a few issues with the new one and hopefully somebody can tell me whether I have brought a dud or do I need to be patient.
    The watch came early this morning, on opening the box and taking the watch out the screen was completely dead. After a hour on the window seal in dull light the watch finally came to life but many of the functions do not work and the watch will not move off time keeping mode although I have been able to manually set the watch up the light will not work and I can not get it to do a manual receive.
    It is obvious that the battery was completely flat on arrival and needed to be charged up (which it has been doing in dull light for around 4 /5 hours now) but surly the functions should still work.
    Could someone please tell me if this is normal for this type of watch until the battery has more charge or whether it is fault and I need to seek a replacement. I never had this trouble with my last watch. It worked straight out the box and when the battery got low I would just place it by the window and within a couple of hours it was back on wrist with no issues.

Thanks Lee

Re: Casio MTG-930DU-8VER G-Shock Watch not functioning

I had the same thing happen to me when my brand new GWM500A arrived. The screen was dead, but after a couple of hours in the sun, it had limited functionality. Leave it in the brightest light you can find for a few hours and it should come back to life fully. Mine took a really long time to finally get to "high" but hasn't been off of that level since.

If it is a used watch, your battery may have gotten old.

Thanks for the reply.

When you say the brightest light you can find, would a normal bulb light charge it up as well as sunlight? I only ask because living in England this time of year natural sunlight is very hard to come across so could take months to fully charge up but putting near a bulb light doesn't seen to be doing much either.

Thanks
    Lee

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by leemh99 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

When you say the brightest light you can find, would a normal bulb light charge it up as well as sunlight? I only ask because living in England this time of year natural sunlight is very hard to come across so could take months to fully charge up but putting near a bulb light doesn't seen to be doing much either.

Thanks
    Lee
    He means natural light, even if it's cloudy outside. Natural light will recharge it fastest. The manual should have some estimates as to how long it will take it to charge up depending on the light source it is exposed to. The light bulb would take a very, very, and I mean VERY long time to recharge it...

There's nothing wrong with your watch, this limited functionality behaviour is perfectly normal - you should be able to see a comprehensive description of it in the manual if you want to check it online.

If it's just come back from being flat, it will take a good amount of sun to bring it back to full again, any other artificial lightsource is going to take much longer... ideally you'll want to expose your watch to some outdoor sun (I know this isn't going to be easy in the UK!) but try your garden or patio on a sunny weekend :) For reference, it once took about two and a half weeks of sunny weather -in British summer :) - on a bright windowsill for one of my Gs to get to 'high' from being flat one arrival.

Anyway, main thing is I think your watch sounds fine, and the worst case scenario is you'll have to change the rechargeable battery (CTL1616) which isn't difficult either!

Ditto. Outside in the bright sun is the best. When I let my watches charge under a lamp at home, I question whether I will live long enough for them to charge fully. It is a bit of a downer because it is a new watch but a few hours in the sunshine and you will be good to go.

Thank you everybody for your quick responses.

I didn't want to start using the watch and adjust the strap if there was something wrong with it and it had to sent back. I'll keep my fingers crossed for some sunny days.

Thanks
    Lee

Everybody's right so far -- even cloudy daylight through a window will recharge your watch faster than any sort of normal indoor lighting, and limited functionality is (somewhat) normal if the battery is not fully charged.

Here are the two charts in question from the manual at MTG930DA-8V - G-Shock - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

Name:  mtg-930 recharge times.JPG
Views: 2692
Size:  85.6 KB

That being said, I've purchased several brand-new solar/atomic G's in the past two years, and they've all arrived with the battery level at "High." I'm wondering if yours might not have been in "Power Saving" mode from the factory as all of mine have been, or if yours had the "Auto EL" illumination mode turned on while it got jostled in shipping.

The MTG-930 IS an older model, though, and yours could have been sitting in a warehouse for a few years. I'll hope for sunny days there as well, but if your watch doesn't start to return to life in a week, it might need to be exchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Everybody's right so far -- even cloudy daylight through a window will recharge your watch faster than any sort of normal indoor lighting, and limited functionality is (somewhat) normal if the battery is not fully charged.

Here are the two charts in question from the manual at MTG930DA-8V - G-Shock - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

Name:  mtg-930 recharge times.JPG
Views: 2692
Size:  85.6 KB

That being said, I've purchased several brand-new solar/atomic G's in the past two years, and they've all arrived with the battery level at "High." I'm wondering if yours might not have been in "Power Saving" mode from the factory as all of mine have been, or if yours had the "Auto EL" illumination mode turned on while it got jostled in shipping.

The MTG-930 IS an older model, though, and yours could have been sitting in a warehouse for a few years. I'll hope for sunny days there as well, but if your watch doesn't start to return to life in a week, it might need to be exchanged.

That is why I was questioning whether it was faulty or not. The last one i had come with full battery and I never had an issue. I think the most likely problem was that it wasn't in power saving mode and the battery had just gone flat. We had a hour of sun earlier and the indicator is now on medium and all functions are working, so all is good.

Thanks again
    Lee

Thread Information