Casio Oceanus

Thread: Casio Oceanus

Casio Oceanus

Hi Guys,
    I'm thinking of treating myself to the Casio Oceanus OCW-S1050J-1AJF.
    Does anyone know if this has the tough movement??
    It does not say so on the face, however, i've seen it being advertised as having it.
    If not, is the OCW-S1200-1AJF the newer version of that model, WITH the tough movement??
    I'm getting confused!
    Thanks,
    Ade

Re: Casio Oceanus

it is an older model and has no Tough Movement and was limited and could be sold out already

the current line up in production ???????-?OCEANUS | ?????

and here you can get an idea what could be sold out (at least at this shop)

http://watch-tanaka.shop-pro.jp/?mod...ceanus&x=0&y=0

edit: and yes, the OCW-S1200-1AJF has Tough Movement and it is newer and has a 24 hour stop watch instead of 60 minutes and is Multiband 6 instead 5
    Last edited by Sibe; September 10th, 2010 at 15:42.

Sorry if this sounds silly but started looking into the Oceanus range, what is the "Tough Movement" ? Stronger than the previous one? Apparently it adds a longer chrono range.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just Googled 'casio tough movement explanation' and the first hit has an OK, if short, description.

Tough Movement is a relatively new feature Casio has been trickling down its line of analog watches. The feature uses an LED to read and compare against the internal time the position of the hands, once every hour. If a hand has become ajar, it is automatically aligned at 55 minutes past the hour.

"It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

I think, and i could be wrong, that it ensures the hands hit the minute and
    hour markers correctly.
    If this is right, it's a great idea.
    There is nothing worse than the hands not aligning up correctly.
    It makes me feel as though little care has been made setting up and adjusting the watch.

The main purpose of the tough movement is to recorrect the placement of the hands should they become misaligned during a violent shock.

For example, if you hit your watch so hard in a way that at 12:00, the hour hand might be at the 3 minute after position even though the minute hand would be at the 12:00 marker.

I guess the alignment of the hands must be correct from the beginning or it never will because the hands cannot "move" without the cogwheels or something seriously is wrong

Only big impacts could do something to the hands and the underlying cogwheels.

YouTube - G-SHOCK

Quote Originally Posted by Sibe View Post
    I guess the alignment of the hands must be correct from the beginning or it never will because the hands cannot "move" without the cogwheels or something seriously is wrong
    That's right. The hand alignment feature won't correct those 'doesn't hit the markers' issues.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

The hands can slip on the pinions. They are probably just friction fit so they certainly can move without the gears being affected.

It's just like the problem people have with mechanical chronographs when the chrono hand doesn't reset to zero. It's because the hand has slipped not because a gear has moved.

Sorry to revive an old thread. Also since these are actually digital watches with analog faces controlled with step motors, digital glitches can occur from all sort of weird sources causing magnetic or static inferences (monitor, tv, computer, laptop, etc.)... Once I've had a Seiko 6m15 (another digital watch with an analog face) behaving all weird which got fixed once I opened, took out the crown, the movement and put it all back together. I guess I just grounded some static electricity along the way...

Thread Information