Casio Oceanus (OCW-M7000)
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Casio Oceanus (OCW-M7000)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Casio Oceanus (OCW-M7000)

I've been interested in Oceanus watches for a few months, now - and at some point I'll probably splurge on an OCW-S100P-2AJF or an OCW-T100TD-7AJF - but in the meantime, I managed to bag a used OCW-M7000.

I don't know loads about the model, apart from it being a tough solar, multiband 5, all titanium model with sapphire glass. I know it's practically identical to the OCW-M700 series, just has the non-rotating bezel / tachymeter thing. Not sure if the 7000s didn't use a different case / bracelet material or were treated ti?

Here's a pic I took:-
    Name:  IMG_20140204_214524.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  157.1 KB

For anybody that knows the model well, is there some hardened coating to the ti?

I normally go for the more simplistic models - ie the three hand versions, but when I saw this available I couldn't resist. It was the first 5 motor watch, wasn't it?

Anybody who knows more about the spec, please feel free to chip in.
    Chrisek and vanilla.coffee like this.

Re: Casio Oceanus (OCW-M7000)

Congrats on your purchase. It looks good.

If you have not already seen it, here's a link to its specs..Google Translate
    Wongsky likes this.

I think it has a Ti Carbide coating but I don't know if it works well. You can tell, maybe ;) And it may have a better coating as the M700 but the M700 has a treatment, too, of course. However, older ti treatments (like these from 2006/2007) are not as good as the latest ones, I think.

Tachymeter and clasp are different for sure with respect to the M700, M700 has no tachymeter but also no rotating bezel, just plain.

The first 5 motor watch was the OCW-600 (late 2005), BTW. (don't mix it up with the OCW-T600, late 2008, the last of the classic 5 motor watches with no Smart Access)
    Wongsky likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks to you both for the info - much appreciated.

edit: one thing I like about this model, being the clasp - other watches with metal bracelets often have a rather traditional clasp with a flat-ish, albeit slightly curved metal plate - that tends to get easily marked by coming into contact with surfaces when you wear the watch - but this only has a very small outward clasp, no bigger (probably slightly smaller) than a link in the bracelet.
    Last edited by Wongsky; February 7th, 2014 at 01:18.

Just one other question - what sort of price did the OCW-M7000s sell for when they were current?

94,500 Japan Yen was the Casio price, 66,150 Japan yen the street price (or maybe last sale), about 650-700 US Dollar.

(source カシオ オシアナス・OCW-M7000J-1AJF(販売終了) - G-SHOCK ハミルトン セイコーの正規ショップ タナカ時計店 通販サイト )
    Wongsky likes this.

Hey. I recently found one of these at a local watch store. I'm now in the posession of a brandnew M7000 (albeit it must have been sitting in the store for a few years).
    First impression is really good, it looks much better than on pictures due to some sort of iridescence in the watch face, and the mirror-reflective index markings. Also the glass reflections (blue low-reflective coating and slightly spherical glass) makes for a true pleasure to look at the watch, without seeming overloaded.
    I'm thinking the combination of atomic/titan/sapphire/solar is really a very hard to beat combination.
    The operation is a bit complicated (smart access would be a huge help), but once getting the gist it's not really that hard.
    Given the fact that it's hard to find any other opinions and reviews on the web I'm wondering about how rare is that watch. Or has it just been unpopular?
    I already accidentally hit the watch on a (metal) door handle, without any notable scratch whatsoever. The titan coating seems to be durable enough, and the sapphire anyway.
    What i find a bit irritating is that the second hand doesn't do anything in normal timekeeping mode, there is just the small dial hand working as second hand instead. Why not use the "standard" big hand?
    Any one else with this watch who has some (potentially long term) experience? I'm a bit concerned that the battery may have reduced capacity after sitting in the store for several years, or that the lumibrite has worn down (it doesn't exactly last very long, but that might be a casio specific issue).
    Like I said I have been trying to find more info on the web, but there isn't much. Someone else around with this watch? What's your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by keulator View Post
    Hey. I recently found one of these at a local watch store. I'm now in the posession of a brandnew M7000 (albeit it must have been sitting in the store for a few years).
    First impression is really good, it looks much better than on pictures due to some sort of iridescence in the watch face, and the mirror-reflective index markings. Also the glass reflections (blue low-reflective coating and slightly spherical glass) makes for a true pleasure to look at the watch, without seeming overloaded.
    I'm thinking the combination of atomic/titan/sapphire/solar is really a very hard to beat combination.
    The operation is a bit complicated (smart access would be a huge help), but once getting the gist it's not really that hard.
    Given the fact that it's hard to find any other opinions and reviews on the web I'm wondering about how rare is that watch. Or has it just been unpopular?
    I already accidentally hit the watch on a (metal) door handle, without any notable scratch whatsoever. The titan coating seems to be durable enough, and the sapphire anyway.
    What i find a bit irritating is that the second hand doesn't do anything in normal timekeeping mode, there is just the small dial hand working as second hand instead. Why not use the "standard" big hand?
    Any one else with this watch who has some (potentially long term) experience? I'm a bit concerned that the battery may have reduced capacity after sitting in the store for several years, or that the lumibrite has worn down (it doesn't exactly last very long, but that might be a casio specific issue).
    Like I said I have been trying to find more info on the web, but there isn't much. Someone else around with this watch? What's your opinion?
    Well I wear mine quite a lot so have some current and prolonged experience of it.

Changing modes can be a drag - especially alarm and world time modes - easy to see why the smart access thing has become prevalent in Oceanus models.

As to battery life, if it was getting ambient light in a display case (a reasonable inference for you to have spotted it) I suspect will have maintained decent charge levels. As to the lume, I find it decent enough, given I wear watches 24x7 - not as good as my Seikos, but not far off.

I wear mine quite a lot, as I rather like having the day and date always on display, plus I also like the 24 hour dial.

As far as I've noticed, the crystal has remained unmarked, and the case and bracelet seem well wearing from scratches and marks. The tachymeter bezel is what seems to show some signs of a little use - but only really a bit of subtle aging.
    keulator likes this.

I would like to find a User Manual, I cannot adjust my Oceanus

Quote Originally Posted by JEAN CLAUDE MUNSTER View Post
    I would like to find a User Manual, I cannot adjust my Oceanus
    Just get the 4 digit module code off the back of the watch (I want to think it's 4749) and go to Casio's support site and you should be able to download the manual in pdf format.
    eskerbillion likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information