Casio offered me 38% discount - turns out to be worthless!
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Casio offered me 38% discount - turns out to be worthless!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Casio offered me 38% discount - turns out to be worthless!

My beloved ProTrek PRG-60YT recently displayed a fault. The 'beep' on pressing the buttons became erratic, and the mode button didn't work properly, picking modes at random. So, off to Casio UK she went. Got an email response saying that because of the age of the watch , they couldn't repair it, but offered me a 38% discount of any watch on their UK web site. Now, my PRG-60YT is absolutely mint, not even a scratch on the bracelet as it was rarely worn, maybe only a dozen times since new! So obviously a manufacturing fault rather than user abuse.

Anyway, I initially thought 38% was quite generous, till I started to research some models that caught my interest. Every single one of them could be bought cheaper from other online sources even including the 'Casio discount'!

Very disappointed in 2 x things, firstly they can't repair a decade old watch. Last year I had my late dad's pocket watch repaired, it's over 100 years old (!), and I don't subscribe to a throw away society. Secondly, that Casio's 38% discount offer to me to try and maintain my brand loyalty, is worthless.

Just thought I'd vent - feel much better now LOL
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Re: Casio offered me 38% discount - turns out to be worthless!

That's not the first time I read on this forum about that useless 38% discount from Casio UK.
    I would look for a used PRG-60YT and try to fix yours.

I feel your pain, but I actually still view this offer as generous.

Sure it may not compare with the offers of the online world, but I believe that shall be seen as a separate issue.

Casio reached out to you in good faith and you have their best offer to you now. This is the offer that you have and you must decide how you will feel about it.

If you ask me, I think this issue is too close to call and given the alternative, I would encourage you to feel good about it. For your own sake.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    Now, my PRG-60YT is absolutely mint, not even a scratch on the bracelet as it was rarely worn, maybe only a dozen times since new! So obviously a manufacturing fault rather than user abuse.

Anyway, I initially thought 38% was quite generous, till I started to research some models that caught my interest. Every single one of them could be bought cheaper from other online sources even including the 'Casio discount'!

Very disappointed in 2 x things, firstly they can't repair a decade old watch. Last year I had my late dad's pocket watch repaired, it's over 100 years old (!), and I don't subscribe to a throw away society. Secondly, that Casio's 38% discount offer to me to try and maintain my brand loyalty, is worthless.
    It MIGHT be worth another e-mail to Casio, pointing out these three things. The 38% discount might be a "first offer" from a first-line customer service representative, which might increase if the "ticket is escalated" to someone higher up the chain of command. If the discount is not significant enough for you to maintain your brand loyalty and make anther purchase, they (a) risk losing a customer for life who then (b) might tell their tale to even more prospective customers and prevent even more sales.

The fact that your PRG-60YT is in mint condition and is NOT a "daily wearer" covered with nicks and scrapes SHOULD mean something as well! 38% might be enough to "buy" brand loyalty from someone whose watch has enjoyed a long and useful "service life" but it's not much considering your watch's condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    It MIGHT be worth another e-mail to Casio, pointing out these three things. The 38% discount might be a "first offer" from a first-line customer service representative, which might increase if the "ticket is escalated" to someone higher up the chain of command. If the discount is not significant enough for you to maintain your brand loyalty and make anther purchase, they (a) risk losing a customer for life who then (b) might tell their tale to even more prospective customers and prevent even more sales.

The fact that your PRG-60YT is in mint condition and is NOT a "daily wearer" covered with nicks and scrapes SHOULD mean something as well! 38% might be enough to "buy" brand loyalty from someone whose watch has enjoyed a long and useful "service life" but it's not much considering your watch's condition.
    Have already tried the 2nd email approach - this is the response...

Dear Stephen,
    Thank you for your reply, and I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the discount offered.

The preferred option scheme of a 38% discount off the RRP is offered to customers if we are unable to repair your Casio watch for whatever reason.
    I do understand that there are retailers who sell our Casio watches for a lower price than the RRP. As Casio are the manufacture we can only sell products at the RRP price set, whereas retailer have the option to sell at a price to which they see fit. You do find retailers who primary sales are based online do offer more discounts as they don't have costs on shop rent for example.

I am sorry but this offer is only available from Casio, and it set at the 38% discount off the RRP.

I understand your concern and all I can offer is that I will feed back your comments to our head office for their consideration.

Kind Regards

Polite, but pretty final
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    Polite, but pretty final
    It sounds like you're in the limbo between "Casio UK, Service Department" and "Casio's various Customer Service Departments."

I would point out to them that "As Casio are the manufacture we can only sell products at the RRP price set...." is inherently WRONG.

"You ARE Casio; your other divisions sell products at wholesale costs every single day. 'Recommended' retail price is just that -- a RECOMMENDATION."

While we don't know what Casio's wholesale rates are, most retailers -- online or not -- won't be able to sell too many products below their own costs and still stay in business. So unless some retailer is using every Casio they sell as a "loss leader" (which is highly improbable) their wholesale cost was even less than their "sale price." While we already know that, it might help to point out to Casio THAT we know it!

Since you appear to be going down the official "Service and Repair" rabbit-hole, it might be worth trying an alternate route through Casio's Support page, such as the Customer Service option at https://support.casio.co.uk/default.aspx

With huge corporations it's sometimes nice to be able to use their sheer size against them, by contacting different departments and/or by contacting them through different means such as e-mail or telephone, which offer their own distinct advantages and disadvantages!
    HerrNano likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post

Since you appear to be going down the official "Service and Repair" rabbit-hole, it might be worth trying an alternate route through Casio's Support page, such as the Customer Service option at https://support.casio.co.uk/default.aspx

With huge corporations it's sometimes nice to be able to use their sheer size against them, by contacting different departments and/or by contacting them through different means such as e-mail or telephone, which offer their own distinct advantages and disadvantages!
    LOL, I have already been down that route, and the same lady that responded to my 'repair' query also answered the email I sent via the 'support' mechanism. How very fiendish of them! By the way, your comments on RRP are 100% and they're purely an arbitrary number which of course should Casio choose, they can alter to sell at whatever they want.

Get the Maharishi Mudmaster with 38% off at 465 pounds and u have urself a bargain

In 5 years wait until you see the people trying to fix the iWatch. Yes, we are paying a lot for disposable items. Did you say your watch was a decade old and mint? When we baby stuff by not using/wearing it and it eventually fails we think some new item failed when the reality is something 10 years old failed. I feel Casio was being nice to offer you anything. Not to be rude but if you don't want to live in a disposable society don't buy disposable things.
    Last edited by mharris660; December 1st, 2016 at 20:32.

Quote Originally Posted by mharris660 View Post
    I feel Casio was being nice to offer you anything. Not to be rude but if you don't want to live in a disposable society don't buy disposable things.
    With respect, I never classed the PYG60YT as 'disposable' in the first place. (It's made from titanium for goodness sake!) I drive a 22 year old car, and use a 10 year old Nokia phone! I'm not in the habit of buying utility things to throw them out. Even the razor I use daily is a 54 year old Gillette FatBoy! (OK, I do use blades I throw out LOL). Of course you're right, Casio didn't have to offer me anything. But seeing as it is their policy to compensate for their stuff failing, they may as well offer a gesture that actually is meaningful...
    Last edited by StephenWatch; December 1st, 2016 at 21:24.
    nigelw and khbk like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information