Casio partners with NYY (GO YANKS!)

Thread: Casio partners with NYY (GO YANKS!)

Casio partners with NYY (GO YANKS!)

NOTE: Slightly OT as it is, so PLEASE, let's not turn this into a team vs. team discussion or bashers/supporters excercise! Cool? (Doug, I know you love the Mets so just bear with this or ignore... )

My main point to post this is obviously I'm a fan of both and am interested in discussing what types of products might come out as a result of this.
    http://www.casio.com/news/content/05...-B005966BB976/

Hopefully it'll be something above and beyond slapping a Yankees logo on a G-Shock or Casio product.

I'm more interested in innovation they can bring to the table. So along the lines of atomic synching, it'd be pretty neat if the watch had the capability to receive live updates of other stats not normally displayed regularly (e.g. last pitch type/speed, current pitch count, etc etc). Not sure how much of a battery drain this would cause on the watch though...

If drain would be a issue then maybe a one-time synch of the current players' stats or other data relevant to the game would be cool too.

What say you guys?

Re: Casio partners with NYY (GO YANKS!)

I wouldn't mind seeing a pinstripe G-Shock...
    (however, it'd have to be Royal Blue Pinstripes, maybe with a Cub's logo EL!).

Quote Originally Posted by jiro32 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a pinstripe G-Shock...
    (however, it'd have to be Royal Blue Pinstripes, maybe with a Cub's logo EL!).
    Interesting concept there about MLB logos (or any sports logo for that matter) in the display.

EDIT and OT: BTW Jiro, your avatar kicks @$$! Have always loved Snake Eyes in that iteration with the slitted visor (the one that came with the gray wolf in the 3.5" version). That's a purty cool SD version. I thought I saw a few at Target but didn't see Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow, wheredja pick that up?

It would also be pretty neat if the watch can receive intermittent synchs for updates on scores so it can be a discreet way for one to check in on them. A blackberry (or any other phone) isn't the most discrete option for this...
    Last edited by turboBB; April 3rd, 2009 at 21:07.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by turboBB View Post
    It would also be pretty neat if the watch can receive intermittent synchs for updates on scores so it can be a discreet way for one to check in on them. A blackberry (or any other phone) isn't the most discrete option for this...
    As a Yankee fan and a G-Shock fan, I'm all for it.

The technology certainly exists for getting the kind of updates you refer to -- thought I'm not aware that Casio has ever used it. Casio's current "atomic" watches tune into shortwave transmissions from clocks generally run by governmental agencies.

To get the kind of scores/updates you are referring to, a watch could be built to tune into cellphone/pager frequencies -- as the Timex Beepwear and Internet Explorer series did. The flexibility of that approach would be that, if your watch came with a designated phone/pager ID of some sort, you could simply program Yahoo, Google or any number of other services to email updates to the watch. (I assume that virtually every pager and cellphone these days has an email, internet gateway for sending messages to the device). I note, for what it is worth, that Timex, in partnership with Motorola, *had* watches on the market with these precise capabilities. They were discontinued -- I assume the products were a bust in the marketplace, presumably because the same information can be readilly transmitted to cellphones, Blackberries and other, more versatile two-way devices.

Another approach is to use a portion of the FM radio band to transmit data as Microsoft Direct does. Using this technology, the user buys a watch/receiving device (versions were made by Swatch, Suunto, and Tissot, maybe others) and receives regular updates from Microsoft's proprietary network. These watches were pretty clunky -- though that might not bother many G-Shock fans. I don't know if these products and this service are still available. I don't get the sense that this was a huge commercial success either.
    Last edited by Kronos; April 4th, 2009 at 00:20.

turbo: i got the snake eyes (and storm shadow too!) at toys r us.

i also think it would be cool if they could have a 'take me out to the ballgame' alarm chime.

Wink Re: Casio partners with NYY (GO YANKS!)

Quote Originally Posted by jiro32 View Post
    i also think it would be cool if they could have a 'take me out to the ballgame' alarm chime.
    I'm waiting for a G-Shock that plays "Enter Sandman" just before going into sleep mode, plays "Ride Of The Valkyries" just before coming out of sleep mode and plays "Immigrant Song" every hour on the hour.

"I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan."

Quote Originally Posted by turboBB View Post
    NOTE: Slightly OT as it is, so PLEASE, let's not turn this into a team vs. team discussion or bashers/supporters excercise! Cool? (Doug, I know you love the Mets so just bear with this or ignore... )

Apple Watch Space Black Series 5 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000GD-1JF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman

Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega SeaMaster Pro Ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003
    Omega Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz 2221.80
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002

Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701

Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

I know someone that will be at the game tonight, I will ask if they do any G Shock or Casio advertisements other than the name on the billboard.

I was just a little kid when I walked to the cancer hospital to wave to the Babe when he was ill, then made my mother take me to Yankee Stadium to walk past the Babe's bier when he was laid out in the rotunda for his fans. I never saw him play but it made no difference, I just had to go and pay my respects. It was August 1948.

I guess I'm still a Yankee fan in my heart.

K.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...799100,00.html

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."

-- GK Chesterton

If Casio puts out anything with the Yankees logo I'm buying.

Thread Information