WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Casio for pilot / flying?

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  BenL 
#1 ·
Its easier to ask in here than read every thread result for pilot flying lol.

I have an MTG-520 that has local, GMT and the analog hands can be set to a third time.

But the digital is small, not backlit and the light function doesn't capture it well and digital is quicker to read the 24hr format at a quick glance.

So:
GMT/Zulu/UTC, 24hr format
Local, 24hr format
Chrono for more than 1hr
Timer (more than 1hr would be nice)
Date
Alarm
Good backlight
Numbers large enough for at-a-glance read
Water resist

Nice, but not required:
Dual time display

The 5600 I have is near perfect but no GMT.

I'm tempted just to save up for a nice mechanical (like a Speedmaster) and go with the Sportys Deluxe Flight Timer lol.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

See less See more
#3 ·
The PRW-1300 fits your bill:

GMT/Zulu/UTC, 24hr format
Local, 24hr format
Check. Displays local + one other timezone at the same time.

Chrono for more than 1hr
Timer (more than 1hr would be nice)
Stopwatch and CDT: Check

Date
Alarm
Check & Check, up to 5 alarms available

Good backlight
Numbers large enough for at-a-glance read
Water resist
Check, Check & Check (100m WR)

Nice, but not required:
Dual time display
Check!

#4 ·
1300 GMT display east to read at a glance>

my local time [GMT -8] in lower part of display. Easy digital numeral display for my eyes, positive display is most legible.
K.

#5 ·
This is a good question, and I'm struggling to come up with a really strong recommendation. Large numerals and a more than 60-minute countdown timer are the stumbling blocks.

I wouldn't recommend the GW-9010 - there's far too much going on in that display for at-a-glance legibility in the subdued light of a cockpit. I can't better Konrad's suggestion of a Protrek 1300 with a positive display.

The G-8000 in it's 'plain Jane' version would be another contender, but availability is limited these days.

#8 ·
The negative display model I ordered from the UK, at present it is not available in the USA. The positive display PAW-1300 versions [green strap/black strap/ titanium bracelet] are available in the USA.

#7 ·
I happened to be looking at the 'Pil-Mil' forum a moment ago, and a pilot was saying that G-Shocks are the ideal pilots' watch. Maybe you could ask him which one(s) he has.

#11 ·
How about a Casio SGW100, Twin Sensor - Compass and thermometer? It has all the functions you've outlined except the stopwatch is only 60 minutes. 24 hour countdown timer, world time with current time displayed in world time mode so you can determine the time difference. Large digits. Current time displayed in all modes.I don't know how accurate the compass would be when flying but it's a neat feature.

#15 ·
strange, most obvious choice not recommended yet: GW-9200 riseman.

regards, holger

#18 ·
after further research it seems that the GW5600J or the GWM5600 might be the ideal compromise (60min countdown).

when the World Time is in the main display what shows in the other smaller areas? local time? date? for each watch?

thanks again for all the input

#19 · (Edited)
There is a 5600 comparison thread in one of the other subforums here.

You can probably cross the GW5600 off your list pretty quickly. It is probably the G with the least amount of info on the screen. It doesn't even display the day & date at the same time. It also had a square shape (whilst the other 5600 series watches are more rectangular - and look better to many people).

If you want a watch which displays a large mix of info, then the G7700 is worth checking out.

And of course, the GWM5600 is a great watch which you are considering :) Which GWM5600 series are you considering? The negative display, the glorious gold, the standard model, the black/orange model?

There are a few quick pics here of three of the GWM5600s ... although Seiya's prices will probably not be the cheapest for GWM5600s .. (Seiya is the man for more unique domestic Japan Gs).
http://www.seiyajapan.com/category/4_casio_g_shock/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.