Casio PRW-6100Y-1B and PRW-6000SC-7 or any other Protrek in this line
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Casio PRW-6100Y-1B and PRW-6000SC-7 or any other Protrek in this line

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Close to the Southernmost Point continental USA

Casio PRW-6100Y-1B and PRW-6000SC-7 or any other Protrek in this line

I have been off and on with my Casio watches for the last three years or so. But I always come back to them. I have owned in the last while a G Lide Tide watch, Mudmaster (GWG), two Rangemans, a Gulfman 9110-1JF, a Mudman 9300, and ended up whittled down to just one rangeman. I liked all of them but for one reason or another parted with the others, or am in the process of parting with them. The Mudmaster GWG was just too hard to adjust on the fly and far less capable than the much cheaper Rangeman, the gulfman's titanium buckle dug into my wrist, the mudman is great, but kind of redundant with the rangeman, and the G Lide's tide function too complicated to be useful.

Then my impulsive behavior brought me into the Mudmaster GG-1000, which scratched the big watch urge of the GWG, but while more limited in function, allowed for a quick changing of settings without taking the watch off. Of course, on to the topic as started, and while looking for a GG, I found the protreks. I don't know how I missed these, maybe because there are too many other protreks out there, but these are gems. I picked up two of them, a Black PRW-6100Y-1B and a White camo PRW-6000SC-7. There are minor differences between the two but they run the same underlying module and for the money they scratch so many itches.

So the real question is why there is little to no love out there on the WUS forums for this line, but I guess different strokes for different folks. In the end, they are still not as capable as the much cheaper Rangeman (about $120 less), but not as expensive as the GWG (which has incidentally an almost identical module for functions). They are super comfy, IMHO amazingly good looking, and slim fitting to boot. The black even has a carbon insert on the resin strap for a nice added touch to the finish. Also the digital crown I find easier to use while wearing them (over the GWG) so they are more functional for my needs since I can actually change the settings relatively easily on the fly. I guess the be all end all is that I highly recommend them for people looking to add a unique and functional watch to the collection.

Both were picked up for around $300 bucks new give or take some change.

Since all threads are worthless without photos, please see the following...

Name:  FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views: 706
Size:  1.40 MB
    PRW-6000SC-7

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  1.38 MB
    PRW-6100Y-1B
    kubr1ck, GaryK30, Monzer and 5 others like this.

Re: Casio PRW-6100Y-1B and PRW-6000SC-7 or any other Protrek in this line

Agreed. Espeically for those bellyaching about g-shocks moving towards analog, the Pro Trek line is worth taking a look at. Large, durable A-B-C watches with MultiBand6, Tough Solar, great legibility and wonderfully comfortable titanium options. I own two 3500s with Ti bracelets and they are both so damn comfortable, not to mention interesting to look at and have far superior LED lighting compared to my much more expensive GPW and GWG g-shocks.

PRW-3500T-7

Name:  IMAG4158.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  2.09 MB

PRW-3500SYT

Name:  IMAG4122.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  1.87 MB
    "When the shadow of the sash appeared in the curtains it was between seven and eight o'clock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire.... I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it."
    --William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury (1929)

Agreed on all levels. Came so close to ordering one of those too. Just stellar watches. Not to mention the custom strap options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kubr1ck likes this.
    Rolex: Explorer I Mk II 214270; Submariner Ceramic 116610LN
    Ball: Fireman Glory Black Ref. NM2188C-S1-BK
    Garmin: MARQ Expedition
    Tag Heuer: Carrera WV211A
    Squale: 30 ATMOS Ceramica GMT 40mm
    Suunto: D6i
    Casio: GG-B100-1A3JF (Khaki); GG-B100-1AJF (Blackout); GWF-D1000-1JF Frogman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I still like my Pro Trek PRW-S6000Y-1. The "S" means it has a sapphire crystal. I got it for $283 on an Amazon Black Friday deal last November.

The case diameter is big, but not huge. The case is quite thin, much thinner than the Gulfmaster for example.

Name:  ProTrek PRW-S6000Y-1 (PB290198).JPG
Views: 673
Size:  1.55 MB

Recently I changed the wings from forest green to black.

Name:  PRW-S6000Y-1 black wings (P6300470).JPG
Views: 639
Size:  1,011.9 KB

I have no idea either why the PRW6000 or PRW6100 series is not more popular. I sure love mine.

The only issue I can think of is the lack of a replaceable bezel on the ProTrek line. As a result my fear of scratches is constant.

Also it looks like the sharp edges of my PRW6000 have started to wear rounded over time. Same goes for the bezel finish, it has lost it's matte characteristics at some spots and at other spots I fear the finish might even wear through. Although I have to add that I wear it almost daily and with long sleeves.
    GaryK30 and Colderamstel like this.

I like the look of the Pro Trek line. Wondering too why they have not 'taken off'. They are thinner and don't have the G Shock 'gel'. Have there been reports on durability issues in the field ?
    Colderamstel likes this.

Timepieces

2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN 1000H 9AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000NV 2AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000MB 1AJF
    ​2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000K 7AJR ICERC
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWG 1000DC 1A5JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWF D1000NV 2JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GW 9300DC
    2017 CASIO EDIFICE EF 305 1AV
    1990 ROLEX GMT II M16713LN STAINLESS/GOLD

Quote Originally Posted by WES51 View Post
    I have no idea either why the PRW6000 or PRW6100 series is not more popular. I sure love mine.

The only issue I can think of is the lack of a replaceable bezel on the ProTrek line. As a result my fear of scratches is constant.

Also it looks like the sharp edges of my PRW6000 have started to wear rounded over time. Same goes for the bezel finish, it has lost it's matte characteristics at some spots and at other spots I fear the finish might even wear through. Although I have to add that I wear it almost daily and with long sleeves.
    It's interesting that PacParts sells the metal bezel for the PRW-3000 and PRW-3100, but apparently not for the PRW-6000 and PRW-6100.

Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    Agreed. Espeically for those bellyaching about g-shocks moving towards analog, the Pro Trek line is worth taking a look at. Large, durable A-B-C watches with MultiBand6, Tough Solar, great legibility and wonderfully comfortable titanium options. I own two 3500s with Ti bracelets and they are both so damn comfortable, not to mention interesting to look at and have far superior LED lighting compared to my much more expensive GPW and GWG g-shocks.

PRW-3500T-7

Name:  IMAG4158.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  2.09 MB

PRW-3500SYT

Name:  IMAG4122.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  1.87 MB
    Both are beautiful. I especially like that they are digital. May I ask how the titanium straps are holding up in terms of residue? A while back I sold my Citizen titanium watch because after three years it left my wrist with grayish discoloration every time I wore it, especially if it was a humid environment (sweat or rain), even if I cleaned it thoroughly everyday.
    kubr1ck likes this.

I've been on the hunt for one for a couple months
    Colderamstel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WES51 View Post

I think they call that "patina" its desired ; )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information