Casio question (non-G-shock)

Thread: Casio question (non-G-shock)

Casio question (non-G-shock)

I know this forum is about Casio G-shocks, but I have a Casio question that is not G-shock related. I don't want to waste anyone's time, but I think you would be the best people to answer my query.

Do the corner LEDs in Casio digital watches illuminate the face so that they can be easily read? As I understand it, most cheaper Casios use LEDs as opposed to electro-luminescent backgrounds. I have tried to do due diligence and I found an image of the illumination provided here: casio w-800 - Watchuseek . To my mind, although the photo makes the display appear illegible, it must surely be readable, or it would be pointless. Can anyone clarify this please?

Also, what is the difference between these two models? There appears to be a difference in the colour of the line around the face. Also there appears to be a difference in the colour of the LCD background - is this just an effect of the photo or is it real?

Casio W-800H-1AVEF - amazon.co.uk

Casio W-800HG-9AVEF - amazon.co.uk

This thread makes me believe the second one is indeed a coloured LCD Colo[u]red Casio LCDs - Why?

And in the very unlikely possibility that someone has both the models mentioned could they say which one they prefer and why - or anyone with the relevant knowledge, really (Also, gold vs. blue - who wins?)

Thanks for your time - I hope I'm not wasting it

Re: Casio question (non-G-shock)

The '9' in the second model number means 'gold' and the 'G' indicates a tinted display - so yes, they are different. Personally, I prefer the clarity of the standard model.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Yes, Casio has been making different color LCD's for a long time - the earliest were either silver or gold. As for the illumination Casio used a tiny light bulb, usually a yellow one but sometimes green later on, to one side of the LCD display. The bulb didn't always light up the full expanse of the display, and they get weaker with age and diminished battery life, but that's what every digital watchmaker used. When Timex came out with the Indiglo everybody else, including Casio, rushed out their own version of it and the little bulbs are pretty much gone these days. Even Casios cheapest models are Electro-Luminescent.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

my experience with that watch: the w-800 is surprisingly good for a that price, big buttons, big display and numbers, 100m WR, SNZ alarm, dual time, and more, BUT sad it has no cdt... the light is not a real illuminator, its a kind of big ligh bulb that sits in one corner.
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

great watch. I prefer this for gym than my G-shocks (lightweight, 100 m WR , big numbers )

Thanks for all the help, it's really good. In the end, I got a different watch for it EL display (this watch is really only for night-time use). I suppose the one I got was a little nostalgic - it looks a bit like my first watch (a Casio W-93, IIRC) , that I got in the late 90s. I got Casio LW-22 - amazon.co.uk. I know it says ladies but I have fairly small wrists and I just like the design so it doesn't really bother me. Anyway, during the day I'll probably wear my other watch, a Vostok Amphibia.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Thread Information