Casio?s G-shocks your first and your grail
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Casio?s G-shocks your first and your grail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Casio’s G-shocks your first and your grail

Ok I have been intrigued by the G-shocks and I have noticed that they have A large following . Now that being said I want to pickup A couple and add them to my collection of time pieces but have no idea where to start. Now what was your first Casio keeper and what would you consider the Grail of G-shocks? Is there A trinity of Casio made watches that are A must have when starting A Casio collection?
    I know in Rolex it has been for me the Submariner,Gmt2,and Gold Presidential as A holy trinity of sorts..now what would be Casio’s lineup or at least in your mind the best three to have ..any input is appreciated.
    Roger

Re: Casio’s G-shocks your first and your grail

It's all a matter of taste, but if you had to represent formally, you at least need a Square and a Frog. Preferably a 5000 and a Final Frogman I would say.

are these dive watches?which is best dive watch in g-shock?
    Last edited by ROGERWILCO357; December 11th, 2012 at 21:27. Reason: watch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The holy trinity depends on your tastes.

In Rolex, it has a lot to do with looks, specific feature, and variety.

For example:

- gold President = dress watch with day/date
    - Submariner = pressure resistant with timing bezel
    - GMTII = travel watch

With G-Shocks, there is some of that, but you can take for granted that any G-Shock is going to blow away any Rolex in the feature department. They're all 200m water resistant. They all have day, date, perpetual calendar, stopwatch, and alarm.

If I were to suggest a holy trinity of G-Shocks, here's what I'd pick for you:

• Original-style G-Shock, Model DW5600E. The original DW5000 had a threaded-in back, as Rolexes do, but a crappy light. This E model has a great light, and a screwed-on back (as opposed to screwed-in) Same WR rating, so the screwed-in back just makes battery changes harder. This model is thin (for a G-Shock) and can actually fit under a shirt sleeve. It has all the basic features, and a few great details not found in most modern G-Shocks: multi-function alarm (means you can program it to go off only on a certain date, etc.) and the time of day is visible when in the stopwatch and timer modes. Also, it has the auto-return to home screen feature, in which if you do anything in any of the other screens, the next press of the MODE button takes you right back home. These usually run $40-50. IMO, the GX5600 series and 5600J updated models lose some of these basic features in exchange for 5 alarms and atomic/solar sync. Skip these, get the 5600E. Consider this equivalent to maybe a recent production Submariner.
      http://www.casio.com/resource/images...-1v_xlarge.jpg
    • The second one can be any modern model with solar charging, atomic clock sync, and large time digits. Pick one with the features you like. I like the brand new, unreleased MTGM900 model on Casio's site.
      http://www.casio.com/resource/images...a-8_xlarge.jpg
    • The third one should (IMO) be a Pathfinder or Pro Trek, and not a G-Shock. Either a PAW-2000 or PRG-2500. Get the titanium bracelet, it is worth the money. These models both have the whiz-bang outdoorsy features, and big enough display that the time of day is always there. The compass' work great too. It's just a matter of whether you want moon phase and tide graph and a compass bezel, or sunrise/sunset data and a thinner profile. Both of these models are solar/atomic, so you could skip that altogether on the 2nd G-Shock.

2500:
      http://www.casio.com/resource/images...t-7_xlarge.jpg

2000:
      http://www.casio.com/resource/images...t-7_xlarge.jpg
    Last edited by Smaug; December 11th, 2012 at 22:29.
    lvt and Chrisek like this.
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

I think my first keeper was this one (I sold all the others I bought before - started collecting in 2006):

These two are grails (at least in that condition):

And a square would always be good - I prefer the G-5500 over most other squares (except for the G-8000):

cheers, Sedi
    Chrisek likes this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

My first was the original and very first G-Shock - the DW5000. I got this back in the mid-80's (I know, I'm showing my age... ).

My grail is probably always going to be changing as long as Casio keeps pumping out new models. But right now it would probably be the GWA1000. No Frogs for me. I just don't have any interest in them. :shrugs:

Quote Originally Posted by Coolio* View Post
    My first was the original and very first G-Shock - the DW5000. I got this back in the mid-80's (I know, I'm showing my age... ).

My grail is probably always going to be changing as long as Casio keeps pumping out new models. But right now it would probably be the GWA1000. No Frogs for me. I just don't have any interest in them. :shrugs:
    Ya know, I thought I needed a Frogman until I got one. It was huge and really it's features did nothing for me and I dive. I flipped it for a GW-A1030A and couldn't be happier. Have parted with all my other Gs except for the GWM5630A I just ordered (my first rectangle). I hope to survive solely on those two for a good while. ;)

My first keeper was my 2nd G-Shock: a king.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1355269643103.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  54.2 KB

GX56

I think others have said it well, grail is definitely personal, especially within G-Shocks as their is soo much indiviaduality Casio caters to. So I'd recommend a "must own" and you have to decide whether or not you keep it and look for an eccentric version or not.

1. A square. (5000/5600/5610). Any version will do. Here's my first one (up to two now).

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1355269837381.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  41.1 KB

It happens to be solar and non-atomic. G5600KG-3

2. A 6900. Probably the highest volume body, though you can get as rare a version as you like. I only have one of these.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1355269942850.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  34.0 KB

Again, this one happens to be solar and non-atomic. G6900KG-3.

3. A frogman. Any frogman (i still have not gotten around to one yet).

4. The current flagship is the GW-A1000's. I have one and looking to get a couple more.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1355270112057.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  45.8 KB

These are solar and atomic. This one is the GW-A1000RAF.

Unfortunately, once you delve into G-Shocks you start to see Casio has made quite a few super cool watches. Some will ring truer to you than others. Thus starts your quest. ;)
    Last edited by Chrisek; December 12th, 2012 at 00:57.
    TheloniousFox, Kawei, lvt and 2 others like this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

It depends on what type of a buyer you are. Vintage, modern, small, big. Personally, a GW-5000 which has an all stainless steel body; an MRG-8100B which has no plastic on it; and down the line a DW-5000C, the first G-Shock.

GW-5000

Name:  704808d1336646346-what-kind-g-shock-do-you-like-most-gw-5000-1jf.jpg
Views: 2140
Size:  143.9 KB

Name:  741988d1340213738-what-gw-5000-case-made-gw-5000-1jf_5.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  127.8 KB

MRG-8100B (titanium)

Name:  840012d1349488184-new-pick-up-mrg-8100b-ot-kindle-paperwhite-pic-heavy-img_0255.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  189.1 KB

The first gshock dw-5000c

Name:  DW-5000C-1A.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  35.3 KB

For divers: definitely get a frogman. If you like a smaller size get a dw-9900; atomic/solar GWF-1000.

The difference with gshocks is there are way more models and a lot of limited editions. If I could have a vintage one I would get a DW-5000C Honda F1 or a WW-5100C, but for sure a DW-5000C.
    lvt, Feisar, Chrisek and 2 others like this.

any MASTER OF G .... pick the colors you like
    TheloniousFox likes this.
    -Coi- instagram @kandyredcoi / Facebook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information