Casio Smart Access Crown WR Question
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Casio Smart Access Crown WR Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Casio Smart Access Crown WR Question

I have a PRW-7000 with has this crown but I know a lot more have this technology as well. In the manual it states that it must be pushed in and secured to maintain water resistant. Here's my question, has anyone actually taken their watch apart and looked to see if this was open by mistake that water could flood in like normal watches with a open crown?

Re: Casio Smart Access Crown WR Question

I have quite a few watches with a 'crown', not necessarily smart, and the generic instruction to ensure they are pushed in and screwed down. Kinda like a submarine where you wouldn't dream of diving underwater without ensuring the main hatch wasn't tightened down...

Nemo_Sandman likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

My understanding is that the crown shaft area behind the crowns outer seal is sealed not much different than the pushers of any other Casio watch. I bought a spare crown for my Mudmaster and the diameter of the shaft is similar to the diameter of a pusher.

Never the less I asked Casio and I was TOLD that the crown needs to be secured and that it is not unusual for Casio to get in watches for repair from water intrusion due to the user neglecting to close the crown.

I thought about this a lot and the only THEORY that I can come up with is that the problem is not due to an open crown, but rather to securing a crown with moisture under it. I BELIEVE that way some of the moisture can be pushed past the shaft seal into the watch by the pressure created by the outer seal as the crown is tightened.

As a result, I will still make sure not to open the crown in any wet environment as a precaution, BUT should it under such circumstances ever become open e.g. by accident, I'll be sure not to close it right away, but rather wait until it is all dried out.
    Last edited by WES51; October 23rd, 2017 at 16:03.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thx WES, I just asked because on the PRW-7000, the crown is smaller so its harder to turn when it's tightened than the GWG for example. So I was going to leave it screwed in but not very tight so it was easy to access with one hand without taking off.

Also, because of normal movement through time, it could slowly loosen and open especially with what I do for a living.

That was the basis for my question.
    MainePorsche likes this.

I try not to tighten the crown of my Mudmaster overly tight either. So like you said, just so that I can still open it with one hand, but tight enough that it does not come undone by itself.

Unfortunately every time I do this, it takes me a few additional adjustments to get it to what if feels right to me. That specific careful handling that I feel compelled doing, is actually why I personally do rather prefer the quick lock type crowns.

Speaking of quick lock crowns, on those you can clearly feel that the preset closing pressure on the seal isn't probably too high either, since it is an easy turning to begin with and the crown actually moves a bit out as it settles into it's locking position.

"I try not to tighten the crown of my Mudmaster overly tight either. So like you said, just so that I can still open it with one hand, but tight enough that it does not come undone by itself.

Unfortunately every time I do this, it takes me a few additional adjustments to get it to what if feels right to me. That specific careful handling that I feel compelled doing, is actually why I personally do rather prefer the quick lock type crowns.

Speaking of quick lock crowns, on those you can clearly feel that the preset closing pressure on the seal isn't probably too high either, since it is an easy turning to begin with and the crown actually moves a bit out as it settles into it's locking position."

Your post has left me disturbed.

Ok, hopefully that has gotten your attention. 1st off, forgive me for not using the "reply with quote" feature, clicking it just causes a little circle to spin endlessly so I just copied and pasted. And 2nd, I first tried the Private Message feature with no luck. I'm only able to "quick reply" for some reason. Hopefully the anonymity of the internet will afford you the privacy you deserve, while letting me hopefully give you unnecessary info.

As I said, your post has left me disturbed because you describe your actions and thoughts exactly as my own are. Your use of the phrase, "I feel compelled doing." and "specific careful handling" set off tons of red flags for me.

I'll try to keep this as watch related as I can. I purchased the Gulfmaster GWN1000 specifically because of the quick lock crown. There are the colored dots on the bezel and a line on the bezel that tells you precisely where to position the crown to lock it down. And more importantly to me, there is a definite stop point when the crown is secure. It is unlike a traditional screw down crown that doesn't have this definite stop feeling. You seem to always be able to screw it down a smidge more on a traditional screw down crown. Hard to explain, hope that makes sense. I have a feeling you know exactly what I mean, however.

Again, to keep it watch related....I once owned a Marathon SAR. The original one that came out years ago. Beautiful watch, high quality, highly recommended. My problem was with the screw down crown. It was traditional screw down type and unsigned. Long story short, this led me to constantly screwing down and unscrewing the crown until I was finally satisfied that I had "left" the crown in the perfect position. I would then be able to wear the watch for short periods of time until I began to feel that the crown was in the wrong position. I would then have to remove the watch and the whole cycle of screwing and unscrewing the crown would begin again until it just felt right. Ultimately, after doing this to the watch countless times (probably literally 1000's), the threads were shot and the crown would no longer screw down. I was grateful at it finally being destroyed. I threw it in the garbage with relief. Those of you familiar with the SAR know the crown has aggressive "checkering" on it. Perfect for operating it with wet hands as a diving watch may be used with. However, when operated constantly as I was, the checkering turns into a sort of cheese grater for your fingers when it slips through them in an attempt to get the perfect "close." Bloody, torn up fingers don't stop the thoughts in your head, however, and the cycle continues. Signed screw down crowns didn't disturb me as much, for I would screw until relatively tight and then position the logo in the upright "proper" position.

Anyways, as most of you can guess by now I suffer from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. The Disorder is closely related to Tourette Syndrome and Tics. My symptoms range from Moderate to Severe seeming to vary in waves. The Obsessive thoughts seem to change to change to something different every few weeks to months, and the accompanied Compulsive physical behaviors along with them. The most severe physical behaviors result in unintentional self-mutilation.

Sorry to bore you all, this probably isn't the right forum, but as I said the earlier posters choice of words and described behavior really upset me. Hopefully he/she is fine and I blew everything out of proportion, but it is obviously a very dear topic to me, and the medically estimated numbers of people who suffer from some degree of this disorder almost guarantees someone reading this is affected by it or a loved one is. It's odd, it almost seems as it has become to be somewhat of a popular thing to claim to suffer from. "That's just my OCD" people seem to laughingly state when they are told by others they keep a nice clean house, for example.

The medical community states the disorder cannot be cure, but symptoms can be lessened. Treatment from general cognitive therapy to experimental drug therapy can help.

I would encourage anyone feeling they may have this disorder in any degree to please see a professional as symptoms typically begin quite minor and escalate up from there.

Standard disclaimer applies. I'm no physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, nurse, dentist, veterinarian, anything. See a qualified professional, I'm just some guy that loves watches, particularly G-Shocks!!

Best regards.

No worries. Thanks for chiming in with your brief note.

:D

Anyhow, there is nothing wrong with the Mudmaster and I don't have anything against the screw down crown.

I just prefer the quick lock type and that is really just an expression of personal preference.

However I will WARN everybody, that I was also told by Casio to be VERY careful not to yank too hard on the crown as the counter assembly to the crown is part of the case. That is another not unusual repair order at Casio, so apparently there are some Hulks out there.
    MainePorsche likes this.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    I have quite a few watches with a 'crown', not necessarily smart, and the generic instruction to ensure they are pushed in and screwed down. Kinda like a submarine where you wouldn't dream of diving underwater without ensuring the main hatch wasn't tightened down...

Where is the O-ring gasket?

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by WES51 View Post
    My understanding is that the crown shaft area behind the crowns outer seal is sealed not much different than the pushers of any other Casio watch. I bought a spare crown for my Mudmaster and the diameter of the shaft is similar to the diameter of a pusher.

Never the less I asked Casio and I was TOLD that the crown needs to be secured and that it is not unusual for Casio to get in watches for repair from water intrusion due to the user neglecting to close the crown.

I thought about this a lot and the only THEORY that I can come up with is that the problem is not due to an open crown, but rather to securing a crown with moisture under it. I BELIEVE that way some of the moisture can be pushed past the shaft seal into the watch by the pressure created by the outer seal as the crown is tightened.

As a result, I will still make sure not to open the crown in any wet environment as a precaution, BUT should it under such circumstances ever become open e.g. by accident, I'll be sure not to close it right away, but rather wait until it is all dried out.
    definitely this. the crown has the same gaskets as the buttons so its not exactly the same as a hatchless sub :p haha
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Where is the O-ring gasket?

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk
    Currently on order from TikTox LOL
    lvt likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast