Casio sticking it to the small business: Rant, not happy with them right now....
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Casio sticking it to the small business: Rant, not happy with them right now....

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Unhappy Casio sticking it to the small business: Rant, not happy with them right now....

Let me just begin by clarifying, I have been doing YouTube reviews on Casio G-Shocks for a good few years now. Total uploads, 56. Total views, 2,966,456. Total subscribers, 2,305. I've mixed in a few other brands, but the bulk of it has been Casio G-Shock. I have taken my time and put them into reviewing on this site, taking photos, and really concentrating on the content I put out there.

A few years ago, I got a message from a company Casio used for PR asking f they could use my Riseman video as an instruction manual for magazines and media they sent watches to. I gave her the video, in return they sent me a Mudman, GW-9010. They sent me the King, and a Baby G after that, unfortunately the woman has since left, and I no longer receive samples to review. I appreciate the event invites, it has given me great opportunity to meet Casio executives, and after the conversation I had with a friend who happened to be a great resource for G-Shocks for me, I lost a lot of respect for a brand I have been loyal to since I first began collecting watches from since before G-Shocks.

As you can tell from my videos, I review a lot of the higher end models, I spend a lot of money on them, and spent good money on equipment and software because I enjoyed being a resource for those seeking the rarer harder to find G's. As a result, Casio gets a lot of free publicity off my hobby, these reviews have sold them a lot of higher end watches, I have paid good money, and spent my free time marketing their product for them, and I was happy to do it.

Besides this forum, one of the resources I enjoyed dealing with is an Authorized Casio G-Shock Dealer and owns a Mall Kiosk. He happens to sell, fix, and service watches, he is very knowledgeable, and a great guy, he recently welcomed a new addition to his family, and this Kiosk is his livelihood. He was telling me a few weeks ago he placed a large order, and never received that order. Instead this morning he received a letter from Casio stating they are choosing to no longer do business with Mall Kiosks and they will not distribute to him any longer. He almost exclusively sold Casio G-Shocks, and even tried selling Pathfinders and Edifices, they didn't sell well, but he sold a lot of G-Shocks. He made sure to order harder to find pieces that you wouldn't tend to find in major retailers, he always wanted to offer what you couldn't find in most places, and now he is forced to sell off his remaining stock and find another brand to fill that now empty space in his display case.

This sickens me on varying levels. First of all, I am a big supporter of small business. I regularly watch small businesses get crushed because one corporate person behind a desk that makes decisions doesn't look at the human element and effect of that decision, they just see the dollar sign or image behind their decision, they push a button, a letter is sent, and another business closes as a result of that decision.

As an example, we had a Flea market that supported a lot of small businesses. They were in the same building as a furniture store, and a SAMs Club. SAMs decided they wanted to expand, so they worked something out with the owner of the building to shut down the furniture store and flea market, and a year later both buildings were shut down. SAMs changed their minds and moved to a separate location in another town altogether. Damage was done at that point and now the entire thing is tore down detained to become a parking lot.

Now in this case thank God this guy has a thriving business in service, repair, and various other brands he does sell, but this is definitely going to hurt him. We had a good long chat trying to figure out the business decision justification and he felt Casio is trying to market themselves as a higher end brand. Regardless of the why, it's not like Casio is paying him anything to carry their merchandise, he met their terms and conditions, met their pricing and marketing guidelines, sold their product well, made them money, and then pulled out.

As a result, I am reconsidering my loyalty, following, and free publicity of the brand. Without G-Shock, they are a cheap calculator company. I don't know if they are trying to market themselves to be something they are not, or what the business is behind this. The result is now me considering where I want to spend my hard earned dollars. Thank you for reading my rant. I am curious how other members feel about this.
    lvt, vegasvince, tjah and 28 others like this.
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 5 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GPR-B1000 Rangeman
    Casio G-Shock GW-B5600BC-1BJF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 Black Dial

Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701

Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

Re: Casio sticking it to the small business: Rant, not happy with them right now....

I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm sure you know that nearly every larger size company does this. Its about the bottom line, plain and simple.

Good luck to your friend and his business.
    Jeff_C likes this.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Re: Casio sticking it to the small business: Rant, not happy with them right now....

It might be because of the problem with fakes. I remember people reporting seeing fake G-shocks at mall kiosks. It happens even at retail stores like Macy's but that is much more rare. It seems to be more of a problem with the kiosks from the posts I've seen.

Another reason could be that they want to appear as more of an upscale brand. If that's the case, they still have quite a ways to go before they are perceived as such. And I think if they do that they will lose a lot of fans of the brand.
    isezumi, MountainMike and xevious like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i always support A MAN who finds a good cause to stand for !!! few members in here have already voiced their displeases about the way Casio's business heading ... and I agree with them

Banned

Rolex did the same thing many years ago and now all of their watches are unaffordable.

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    It might be because of the problem with fakes. I remember people reporting seeing fake G-shocks at mall kiosks. It happens even at retail stores like Macy's but that is much more rare. It seems to be more of a problem with the kiosks from the posts I've seen.

Another reason could be that they want to appear as more of an upscale brand. If that's the case, they still have quite a ways to go before they are perceived as such. And I think if they do that they will lose a lot of fans of the brand.
    You want to end stores intentionally selling fakes, you make a very public and expensive example of all the ones you catch, doesn't sound right holding the many innocent accountable for the guilty few. I think however it is more towards your second point which is very short sighted thinking. If they are looking to market and place themselves as purely a fashion brand, fashions come and go as fads, not catering to their base could hurt them long term. This guy tended to order more for the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Drop of a Hat View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm sure you know that nearly every larger size company does this. Its about the bottom line, plain and simple.

Good luck to your friend and his business.
    i can appreciate the bottom line when it comes to losing money. In this case, these businesses don't get money unless they sell the product, it costs nothing and creates exposure and recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    i always support A MAN who finds a good cause to stand for !!! few members in here have already voiced their displeases about the way Casio's business heading ... and I agree with them
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by paul338 View Post
    Rolex did the same thing many years ago and now all of their watches are unaffordable.
    Big difference between a high end very exclusive $5-$10K watch and a $90 resin digital watch.
    MountainMike likes this.
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 5 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GPR-B1000 Rangeman
    Casio G-Shock GW-B5600BC-1BJF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 Black Dial

Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701

Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    Big difference between a high end very exclusive $5-$10K watch and a $90 resin digital watch.
    Once upon a time, Rolex watches weren't as expensive as they are now.

Sure, they started as an upscale brand. But they weren't quite in the same league as IWC or Girard-Perregeux, who had their own boutiques.

Then, due to marketing and advertising decisions, they stopped supplying to small-time ADs. They brought out a slurry of advertisements and endorsements.
    Those business decisions got them to where they are now.

Casio is perhaps pursuing the same business model, albeit focusing on fashion than luxury ala Fossil/Diesel.

Can't really blame them for that. They are in the business of making money.
    Last edited by entropy96; August 15th, 2013 at 12:03.
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

I totally agree. If casio is only going to be sold in upscale stores they can count me out,that is not my kind of shopping.
    hiker likes this.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Regarding the small buisiness strategy:

Some years ago i talked to a shop owner (a certified watchmaker).
    He had some real rare older NOS Gs.
    I bought some and he gave a good discount for buying 3 watches he had in stock for ages.

Anyhow, he complained that Casio had fired all the salesman that where visiting small shops all around the country here in Germany.
    Instead Casio wants the shop owner to contact Casio directly and ask for news.
    If G-Shock sales are low in a small shop, the shop owner probably will never ask for news or will push sales.

For me that somewhat sound like snobbery from Casio.
    Maybe to much self confidence?
    MountainMike likes this.

LUW

G-Shocks are cheap watches - that's how the line came to be, that's how 99.999% of the human population on Earth sees them. If Casio is trying to change that they have a very long way to go, but definitively shutting down small business won't help them in that. I find hard to believe that even the marketing officials at Casio (and we all know that these guys usually live in a parallel universe in relation to us) would think that that's the way to "upscale" the brand.

So whatever was the reason for such a move, I doubt it was anything to do with brand positioning.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information