Casio's measurements

Thread: Casio's measurements

Casio's measurements

As I might have already revealed, I am slightly (maybe 17.48%...) obsessional when it comes to the measurements of the watches.

Today, I borrowed some digital calipers and found that the watch I was wearing (a G8000) measures 41.71 x 41.84 x 14.02, whereas Casio gives the measurements 52.5 x 40.4 x 11.2.

This might be a slightly extreme example, because Casio would seem to measure height from band-lug to band-lug, and on the G-8000, the band-lugs are visually part of the band, not the case. On the other hand, they don't measure the buttons when measuring the width.

The depth is quite different though. Casio seem not to include the caseback, which I think most of us would be inclined to include. Also, in the case of the G-8000, they don't measure to the highest point on the face of the watch, which is the flashing light housing.

I must do some more measuring!
    Last edited by tribe125; August 16th, 2006 at 16:07.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Re: Casio's measurements

Wow Tribe!

I feel dizzy already:-D

I'm glad you brought this up, because the size of a watch is very important to me, and it drives me NUTS trying to find this out sometimes! There should be a standard way this is measured. I do NOT like small watch faces...40mm is my absolute minimum!

O|

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello tribe,
    What about the weight? :-D

I don't think manufacuturers of just about anything for Joe Public are ever that accurate in their spec sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Resinbandit
    Hello tribe,

I don't think manufacuturers of just about anything for Joe Public are ever that accurate in their spec sheets.
    Don't give me another focus for my obsessional traits! I measured all my watches (9) last night. Casio do seem to be a bit approximate with their sizes. Some of the given sizes are very precise (1/100mm), and some give the impression of approximation (1/10mm or whole numbers). It's almost as if different employees did the measurements - some as obsessional as me, some with a healthier approach to the tiny things of life!

It's actually quite hard to measure a resin watch - the slightest pressure on the calipers will compress the resin and give a different result. Most Casio measurements relating to height and width seem to be accurate enough, although sometimes the buttons are included, sometimes they're not. Measurements relating to depth are not so reliable, and all my watches are thicker than Casio say. Most of the time, this is because Casio don't include the case back, but sometimes they have under-measured the case too.

The most unreliable measurements seem to be those of models with integrated bands. The Casio measurements for the G-8000 and GW-500 are eccentric, to say the least.

It would seem that Casio generally measure the watches without the band attached. This can give some bizarre results with the newer integrated band watches. I also wondered whether some Casio measurements are taken from the original drawings, and the manufacturing process has resulted in differences in the finished article.

It was interesting to see that I obtained almost identical measurements for some watches, whilst others were significantly different in one or more dimensions. There is, or was, at least one Casio employee who shares my obsessional desire for accuracy!
    Last edited by tribe125; August 17th, 2006 at 11:49.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Hello tribe,

Hi Resin:-X

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    Don't give me another focus for my obsessional traits! I measured all my watches (9) last night. Casio do seem to be a bit approximate with their sizes. Some of the given sizes are very precise (1/100mm), and some give the impression of approximation (1/10mm or whole numbers). It's almost as if different employees did the measurements - some as obsessional as me, some with a healthier approach to the tiny things of life!

It's actually quite hard to measure a resin watch - the slightest pressure on the calipers will compress the resin and give a different result. Most Casio measurements relating to height and width seem to be accurate enough, although sometimes the buttons are included, sometimes they're not. Measurements relating to depth are not so reliable, and all my watches are thicker than Casio say. Most of the time, this is because Casio don't include the case back, but sometimes they have under-measured the case too.

The most unreliable measurements seem to be those of models with integrated bands. The Casio measurements for the G-8000 and GW-500 are eccentric, to say the least.

It would seem that Casio generally measure the watches without the band attached. This can give some bizarre results with the newer integrated band watches. I also wondered whether some Casio measurements are taken from the original drawings, and the manufacturing process has resulted in differences in the finished article.

It was interesting to see that I obtained almost identical measurements for some watches, whilst others were significantly different in one or more dimensions. There is, or was, at least one Casio employee who shares my obsessional desire for accuracy!
    Hello Tribe,
    I think it's an interesting phenom, but I'm still waiting for the weight:-D
    On a serious note, I think it explains why sometimes it's just a case of buying the watch to see what it's like in the flesh. You should spare a thought for the casio employee that has to issue an official measurement based on a average!!

Hello Tribe,
    I think it's an interesting phenom, but I'm still waiting for the weight:-D
    No chance! No, no, no. Mustn't. Won't.

Thread Information