caveat emptor
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: caveat emptor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

caveat emptor

My daughter is enjoying a few G's that I've gotten her. She absolutely loves an older Seaman she has and wears it constantly.
    I decided for her b-day I would do something fun for her. There is a seller on the bay who will remain anonymous.
    He sells a lot of fancy G's that have lightning patterns, tiger stripes etc…. He was offering a red and black tiger striped DW-6900 bezel (bezel only, no watch).
    I bid on it and won it for a great price (he wasn't happy it went so low and made sure to mention it to me.)
    I wanted to have him make a band to match the bezel and that was when he let me know how unhappy he was that it went for the price it did.
    I emailed a second time with my request and this time there was no reply. I was simply asking for a quote to do a band.
    It obviously wasn't going to happen so I bought a set of strap adapters from WCT (great service as usual) and a red Zulu band.
    It didn't match too closely, but my daughter liked it.
    I scored a used DW6900 and went to work. Here was the result:

My daughter received it and all was well….for a week.
    I noticed she wasn't wearing it and asked her about it. She replied that it didn't look as good as it did. I asked her what she meant and she showed it to me.
    Keep in mind she'd had it a week.
    The 6900 I bought had a fairly chewed up band/bezel so it took a bit to find a nice set (band/bezel) and I put it back to black stock tonight and took some pics right before I did.

I guess my caveat emptor warning is that there's quite a bit of an upcharge for these watches on the bay, but they might not be as durable as one would think. In hindsight I'm glad I got it for the price I did as I had bid 4X as much as I won it for, and I'm glad I didn't commission and matching band set. If my 11 y/o daughter can wear it for a week and it looks like this….
    Best regards all and be careful out there!!!!!!
    A Møøse once bit my sister...
    Aragon - 2 bigass divers
    Artego - Caribbean + 300M
    Casio - (too many G's)
    CREPAS - Loggerhead
    Dagaz - Zero I
    Omega - 2254.50 SMP, PW conversion
    Seiko - 1G mod Monster, mod 6309
    Vanguard - Special (classic)
    Follow my G-Shock on its' world tour​.... https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-...-a-705360.html
    Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

Re: caveat emptor

You should post the sellers name so others can be aware.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Drop of a Hat View Post
    You should post the sellers name so others can be aware.
    I hate to do that because I don't want to defame him. Even though he was a tad rude after the sale, I don't believe he was intentionally selling a faulty product or junk.
    He had to have spent a lot of time painting it….
    I would encourage people to be leery of bezels that look painted.
    I'm sure when others see his styles, there will be copycats doing the same thing.
    I thought the bezel was really cool, just didn't realize how easily it would chip….
    He usually gets >$150 for a painted dw6900.
    Cheers,
    Chris
    A Møøse once bit my sister...
    Aragon - 2 bigass divers
    Artego - Caribbean + 300M
    Casio - (too many G's)
    CREPAS - Loggerhead
    Dagaz - Zero I
    Omega - 2254.50 SMP, PW conversion
    Seiko - 1G mod Monster, mod 6309
    Vanguard - Special (classic)
    Follow my G-Shock on its' world tour​.... https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-...-a-705360.html
    Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've seen this guy's listings before. I could have told you that would happen. I don't think his painting skills are remarkable, but they aren't bad. It probably takes a while to do, but he should know they won't stand up to wear, and state that they are just meant as art pieces.

Either this is the same guy, or the copycats are at it already....

RARE Tiger Red Custom Camo DW6900HM 1 Only 1 Made | eBay

ZOMG!!! ONLY 1 MADE!

Strange...that picture looks a LOT like your daughter's watch. Guess it's not as "only 1 made!!" as the ad makes it sound.

Sorry to hear/see the paint job chipping off your daughter's watch, though -- at least the guy who was (still is?) painting G Shock bezels and straps with some wild rainforest frog-inspired paint jobs warned would-be bidders that the paint might wear off.

I wonder, is there a way to "seal in" these designs? Lacquer maybe?

LUW

You simply CAN'T paint a whole bezel, it won't work .
    lowtech likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    You simply CAN'T paint a whole bezel, it won't work .
    Why not? Or, can you clarify that a bit?

Obviously, people can and have painted bezels, but they don't work well for "daily wear" as shown above. When the paint dries and is rigid, and the bezel underneath is flexible, paint chips off.

The automotive industry successfully paints flexible plastic parts such as bumpers with paint that DOES bend and flex, by adding chemicals called "plasticizers" to the paint, which keeps them flexible after they have dried. Large automotive parts stores like NAPA will add a plasticizing agent to their paints (including their custom mixed-in-the-store aerosol cans!) or for small jobs like one I was planning, will simply sell a spray can of plasticizer.

"Just give it a light coat of the factory color, then while it's still wet, give it a light coat of the other. Let them dry, and do it again."

For better paint adherence, it might be a good idea to start with some sort of primer coat as well, but obviously, putting much paint at all on a bezel will start to alter the already-small tolerances between the four or five buttons and the bezel, at worst resulting in hard-to-press buttons or buttons that squeak when you press them. It's probably possible to mask off the inside edges of those buttons with tape beforehand, or sand any excess paint off them afterwards, but that's just one more step and the unmasked parts may be visible when the bezel is installed.

As mentioned in another thread a few months ago, there's the new trend of using PlastiDip for automotive uses! Years ago, PlastiDip came in pint- and quart-sized cans and people dipped tool handles in it for a better grip. Now, it comes in spray cans and gallon-sized cans, and people are using it to paint car wheels and even entire CARS!

Of course, even if someone goes through all these extra steps to produce a painted bezel that resists chipping, the paint job will still be susceptible to being scratched or gouged, and will never be as durable as a stock bezel that's dyed at the factory, and probably won't be as durable for daily wear as a dyed-at-home bezel. If someone scrapes a factory bezel against a cinder-block wall, the color at the bottom of the gouge will still be the same color as the surface -- not so with a dyed-at-home bezel or a painted one.

Quote Originally Posted by onrypt View Post
    (he wasn't happy it went so low and made sure to mention it to me.)
    lol what a jerk. He's mad at you because... nobody else bid on it?

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    When the paint dries and is rigid, and the bezel underneath is flexible, paint chips off.
    That's why. If the watch will never be worn, you can go to town and even glue stuff on the bezel. But if you're going to wear it, in 5 minutes the paint will flake off.
    You can paint car bumpers and the material flex without the paint cracking or flaking off because the paint is applied pretty thick. On something smaller and more delicate (in terms of details) like a bezel you just can't make the bezel look good with sharp corners and ridges.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information