CDT Rage

Thread: CDT Rage

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CDT Rage

I remembered someone's post a while ago about the G-7900 having the better module compared to the GW-7900, but I didn't have a chance to compare them in person for a while. A couple of days ago a friend of mine who I knew had a GW-7900 met us for dinner and was actually wearing it for once.

My dream watch (or so I thought) was to put the bezel from my bright red 7900 on a GW-7900 and have a high-tech, function-laden watch that looks like something a superhero would wear. Hey, I'm in my twenties and play too many video games, so sue me. I asked my friend for his watch and quickly clicked through the functions. Time, cool. Moon phase, meh... Only one stopwatch, I guess that's okay. Countdown timer - 12:00 in the upper right and it says 12:00 on the main screen and it's not running. Wait, what? I look at my watch and it's neither noon nor midnight. I returned the watch to my friend, my dreams dashed.

I HATE CDTs that show me the time I set them for. What the hell is that for? Why do I care that I have 4:21 remaining of a 6:05 countdown? What could I conceivably do with that information? It would be okay if that were displayed in addition to the time, but no, it's all I get. As much as I love the understated grace of my 5000 I occasionally want to drop it down the nearest storm drain when I see its CDT. Crap.

Worst of all, it makes it a poor tool. Let's say I have to get to work at 3:15 and I'm wearing my G-7900 and I want to set a CDT to watch my last little bit of freedom for the day trickle away. It's 12:47:32. Hm. Time for quick math. So in a few seconds it's going to be 12:48. Okay, so 48 to 60 is 12, plus 15 is 27, so it's 27 minutes to 1:15 and then I have two more hours after that so I have to set the CDT for 2:27. Beep beep beep beep. Here we are. Set. Okay, let's go back to the time. 12:47:53. Beep beep beep beep. Stare at the time, finger on the start/stop button. See movement. Beep. Going.

Or I can try the same thing on my 5000. Set the CDT for 2:27 then back to timekeeping. Push ahead one to WT but it's okay because seconds are the same in NYC as TYO. Count seconds, trying to get the length of a second set in my mind. Oh no, how many functions between timekeeping and CDT? Stupid stiff buttons never work on this thing anyway. Finally! CDT three seconds late. Start. Might as well be looking at the sun like Crocodile Dundee. Oh, and now I have to stare at a little 2:27 in the upper right corner of my display and wonder why Casio thought I needed to remember that.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm absolutely certifiably insane. But I also don't know what the purpose of showing the user the original set duration of a countdown timer forevermore is. Anybody have an idea?

On the upside I'm now going to go out and get all the G-7900s since I won't be wasting money on their more expensive brain-damaging cousin.

Re: CDT Rage

I totally agree - it's one of the things that really gets me about my GW5000 too.

As you say, if you want to start the countdown timer at a specific time, the lack of actual time on the screen is a pain.
    In addition, once the timer is correctly set I have no need to know the original set value (99.99% of the time I can remember it anyway). I often use my CDT for cooking purposes, but also need to know what time it is for various other reasons. Having to flip back and forth with numerous button presses just to find out what time it is is a bit daft - they're watches afterall, and what's their main purpose: To tell the time.

Oh well - it's good to know that I'm not the only certifiable one around here .
    Last edited by Pelican; September 1st, 2010 at 17:08.

Inactive

I second this

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hear, hear!

Show me the current time, not the length of time that I set the timer for .

The 1545 module is great - current time in CDT and Stopwatch screens. Just make it atomic solar .

Get the GW-M5600 then! It tells the time during countdown timer and alarms.
    Last edited by Txemizo; September 2nd, 2010 at 01:25. Reason: typo
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

I think I'm interested in a Riseman I played with today. Time visible in CDT to the second. Fantastic!

Totally agreeing with this - one of the most useless features Casio ever came up with. The whole point about a countdown is that you can set it, start it, and forget about it - the 'beep' reminds you that time is up - what in #### do I need to know the start time?
    So far the Riseman is still the only Multiband-6 model that shows time in almost every mode. Except for the ana-digis but they only got 60min timers on the solar/atomic ones .

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Txemizo View Post
    Get the GW-M5600 then! It tells the time during countdown timer and alarms.
    I have a GW-M5600. It does not show the current time in the stopwatch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by steve andrews View Post
    I have a GW-M5600. It does not show the current time in the stopwatch screen.
    Neither does mine, in my post I said countdown timer.
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    So far the Riseman is still the only Multiband-6 model that shows time in almost every mode.
    My G-3011 does that too. On CDT as well. To the second. All modes except DATA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information