Change of pace: LEAST favorite G-Shock?
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Change of pace: LEAST favorite G-Shock?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Laughing Change of pace: LEAST favorite G-Shock?

Everyone has his own favorite, and the one you hate someone else will love, so it's all good. That said, I would like to submit the lowly G-100 as the worst-designed G. Ever. I think Cal .45 commiserated with me way back when I bought this, is anyone else unfortunate enough to own one?

I bought this horrible thing because I liked the snow camouflage pattern on its band and face, and the "Resist Since 1983" patch hearkens back to the anniversary editions of 2003. Beyond that, there isn't anything else to like about this creature. Let me count the ways it will make you hate it:

-Thickness: the watch stands fully NINE-TENTHS OF AN INCH off your wrist when you wear it (which luckily won't be often, because it's a wretched watch). You can't so much as walk through a doorway without snagging it and scuffing your poor doorway.

-Mechanism: The analog hands can only be advanced FORWARDS (and as slowly as you can imagine). Think about this a second. Daylight Savings Time? Module running a bit fast? Too bad. Either pull the battery out and wait an hour (what I do) or else sit through 15 minutes of misery and handcramps while you wait for the watch to glacially advance 12 hours. And hope you're paying attention when it finally gets there so you don't go over and start again :)

-Backlight: the anemic, tiny backlight BARELY lights the microscopic digi screen at the bottom. And the lume on the hands, although it's there in quantity, is practically invisible at night. Hopefully there's a full moon glaring off your white analog face when you need it!

-Digi Module 2327: terrible. Every mode switch first shows you what mode you're arrived at for around 2 seconds. You have to wait before you can enter or do anything. Only plus side: when the alarm is turned off the screen reads "OFFAL", which is the correct label for this terrible, terrible instrument :)

Yes, yes you are!

So, what's your least favorite? Have a ball!
    Last edited by mhammer8; April 3rd, 2012 at 18:56.
    Grungever, LUW and GTR83 like this.

Re: Change of pace: LEAST favorite G-Shock?

All 6900's - so shoot me.
    mhammer8, xevious, Feisar and 2 others like this.

I had an ICERC G-100 once upon a time, I didn't like it all so I 'ebayed' it............and made 100% profit on the deal, so I've kinda got a fond memory from the whole G-100 ownership thang (I wouldn't buy another one though!)

Current least favourite G-Shock (in ownership, rather than in general)?

Well, loosely speaking, a cousin of the G-100 - the GA-100 - why oh why did I ever buy it...........

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm........MRG-1100 Frogman. Price was high. It looks nothing like the Frogman. If not made of Ti or named Frogman, as the watch itself it is rather plain. Doesn't really look like a G-Shock. Design is really generic. MRG-100/200 was so much better. Something is really off on this one.

Name:  355161d1291004693-sold-g-shock-mrg-1100-2-titanium-frogman-g-shock-mrg-1200t-titanium-revman-mrg.jpg
Views: 1801
Size:  83.9 KB

the 9010 mudman, the five eyes at the top just get on my nerves every time i see it.

the 6900 and the 5600 for NEVER GOING AWAY EVER. if those were erased off the face of the earth, maybe we could get more than 1 in 30 collabs as some other model.

also, the 6600, i think? it has a bunch of little triangles on the display and it looks like a cheap knockoff of a cheap knockoff.
    johnny.bravus likes this.

If this is generalised, rather than in ownership, I would also give 'thumbs down' to:

9000 series Mudman (although the 9300 is a MASSIVE improvement)
    GX/GWX 56 'kings' - or 'electronic tags'!
    Gulfman - is 'rust resist' really an additional feature to what is basically a resin / stainless steel watch

Of the watches I've owned, the non-atomic gulfman G-9100 was my least favorite. Display was too small, tide graph was pointless, and the watch felt tiny and cheap. If you are thinking about getting one, you'd better have good eyes and be easily impressed. I am a huge fan of the atomic version of the 9100, though. Bigger display, better looking, and atomic is a major plus.

Garrapata: the "rust resist" is due to the titanium backplate of the gulfman. Which I suppose makes it more resistant to rust than stainless steel, although stainless steel is pretty rust resistant on its own. The BUCKLE of the Gulfman is stainless steel though, which is kind of pointless. At least the Fisherman had a titanium backplate AND titanium buckle.
    Last edited by kung-fusion; April 3rd, 2012 at 21:50.

Has to be currently own!?.....hmm.....MRG-1100 is long gone~
    Hmm.....then I don't have one. My collection now its perfect. I sold all unwanted Gs.

Mine isn't really a model per se, it's any velcro strap on the older models.

I admit they do the job but to me they seem to make the watch rise way too high from your wrist. Most g-shocks are pretty large height wise to start off with, they don't need any help in that department.
    ggyy1276 likes this.

Of the one's I own?? Probably the GW600, it looked promising but way too much wasted space in the LCD and it wears very small.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information