Changing a battery
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Changing a battery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Changing a battery

This is an old DW6900B 'Fox Fire' made in Japan.
    The LCD was fading when I hit the illuminator button, so time for a new battery.

I bought this watch cheaply ( about $10 from China ) I put new resin on it.
    Seems to have a cheap China battery inside, replacing it with some JDM Mitsubishi brand.

I bought a lot of these batteries when I saw them at a discount store. They still have this brand but it seems
    Mitsibuishi have moved production to Indonesia now ( I notice Energizer also have done the same thing a few years ago too)
    Hard to find Japan made batteries nowadays. ( I think Maxell is still made in Japan)
    PS I like Japan made watches and batteries!
    I use plastic tweezers to stop short-circuit out and avoid touching the batteries with your fingers .

AC reset with a unfolded paperclip

I use some silicon spray to relube the oring- this spray is supposed to be for rubber seals on airsoft gas guns. I assume it is fine.

Time to adjust the time.
    Last edited by Davidro; May 9th, 2015 at 05:21.
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

Re: Changing a battery

Whenever I service my watches I always find it satisfying. Job well done., Davidro.

I rather do a battery change myself too, very gratifying to know
    it been done right!
    Izzy_Does_It likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

somebody will doubtless correct me if i am wrong but i think grease would be a lot better than any spray. if you are going to be doing serious underwater activity you should probably get a good o ring grease and not rely on a thin film of spray silicone to hold up. spray silicone seems to be used mostly for moving plastic and rubber parts not environmental protection or waterproofing etc.nice looking g by the way.
    Izzy_Does_It likes this.
    wristbiter 9100 gulfman and mellow yellow g100-9cm

Silicone grease probably WOULD be better than silicone oil or silicone spray -- but either of those is better than nothing if the O-ring doesn't have any lube left on it from the factory or the last battery change.

I used dielectric silicone grease before (the one used in car tune-up) to re-grease my watches' o-rings. But I managed to have a silicone grease specifically for watch (Anchor is the brand) when a local jewelry and watch store had a close-out sale. By then, I realized that the silicone grease for watch is much thicker than the dielectric silicone grease. It is easier on my part to put the o-ring with the much thicker grease. Since then I've been using the silicone grease specifically for watch.
    I had a bad experienced with Silicone spray specifically the WD-40 Silicone Lubricant. I disassembled my DW5200's buttons (springs and micro o-rings) and dipped them with Silicone lubricant. After 30 minutes, the micro o-rings expanded and became bigger. They just returned to their original dimension after they dried. I still used the silicone spray just for cleaning stainless steel as well as screws but not for o-rings anymore.
    No offense to anybody, I am just sharing my experienced.
    Izzy_Does_It likes this.

Thanks for tips, I should invest and get some proper grease by the sounds of it.🏻

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse.IT View Post
    I used dielectric silicone grease before (the one used in car tune-up) to re-grease my watches' o-rings. But I managed to have a silicone grease specifically for watch (Anchor is the brand) when a local jewelry and watch store had a close-out sale. By then, I realized that the silicone grease for watch is much thicker than the dielectric silicone grease. It is easier on my part to put the o-ring with the much thicker grease. Since then I've been using the silicone grease specifically for watch. I had a bad experienced with Silicone spray specifically the WD-40 Silicone Lubricant. I disassembled my DW5200's buttons (springs and micro o-rings) and dipped them with Silicone lubricant. After 30 minutes, the micro o-rings expanded and became bigger. They just returned to their original dimension after they dried. I still used the silicone spray just for cleaning stainless steel as well as screws but not for o-rings anymore.No offense to anybody, I am just sharing my experienced.
    yeah thats one thing i asked about on the candlepower flashlight forum why is silicone lube bad for silicone o rings and they said it causes silicone o rings to swell up or possibly degrade. apparently you are not supposed to use silicone lube on silicone o rings believe it or not. they also told me silicone o rings arent used in flashlights so that isnt something you have to watch for. but silicone o rings are used in non moving applications like watches apparently so you have to use the right grease.

i just know from other stuff that silicone spray is meant to be a lubricant not a sealant and if you need something sealed you need to use grease.
    wristbiter 9100 gulfman and mellow yellow g100-9cm

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrohr View Post
    yeah thats one thing i asked about on the candlepower flashlight forum why is silicone lube bad for silicone o rings and they said it causes silicone o rings to swell up or possibly degrade. apparently you are not supposed to use silicone lube on silicone o rings believe it or not. they also told me silicone o rings arent used in flashlights so that isnt something you have to watch for. but silicone o rings are used in non moving applications like watches apparently so you have to use the right grease.
    According to Esslinger.com, watch gaskets are usually made of "specialty rubber" (probably nitrile rubber) or neoprene, not silicone. Silicone o-rings exhibit all sorts of physical properties that watch gaskets DON'T, such as "excellent resistance to ozone, weathering and aging," and they're also extremely expensive compared to "normal" o-rings: Watch Gaskets | Watch Parts | Esslinger.com

Since most watch gaskets aren't made of silicone, we should probably use the same sort of silicone grease Esslinger recommends: Watch Oil Lubricators | Watchmaker Oils | Esslinger.com

Nice, great to see you again working on them, it's been a while since your last topic Good work with changing battery, I was never able to do AC reset, tried it twice on two g-shocks, had to take it to my watchsmith, embarressed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information