Changing fashion on watches over the years - comical photo!
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Changing fashion on watches over the years - comical photo!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Changing fashion on watches over the years - comical photo!

The thing about getting old, is that some of your first watches become 'vintage' by default. I was looking in my 'watch box' last night, and came across one of my first Citizen watches, I'm guessing from the late 70s. At the time, it was a pretty cool watch, with that new fangled quartz movement, and 2 x tone bracelet. But the most obvious give away of it's age, is the size! It has a 32mm width, and is 7mm thick. Compared to the watch I wear now, it looks like a toy. At the time it just felt like a normal man sized timepiece, now, the comparison shot makes it look like a ladies watch.

Now, all you young'uns stop laughing, in those days, we knew no better...

Name:  comparison strip.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  320.2 KB
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Re: Changing fashion on watches over the years - comical photo!

Absolutely agree mate. Everything is getting bigger esp in the UK. I look at cars I remember Dad having in the 70s and thinking they were decent sized, but see them on the road now and boy oh boy.

Likewise my camera gear.

A lens cap from the 80s v one from today. Same rough focal length.

I had a Brietling New Pluton, bought new, my first real watch purchase of note. Sold it a while back as it was just too small to wear happily.

Funny, my waistline is also growing.....

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

Maybe in 40 more years, there will be people looking back at us with our huge watches and laughing at us. Every generation is different, and styles come and go, I expect things will change again one day. I really never cared about what other people think though, and I usually go with basic black on a watch, mainly because I don't want to be noticed. I am the same with clothes, cars, etc....I want to disappear from view in a crowd, and on the road.
    Luminox 1881.BO Field Chrono
    G-Shock GPW-1000T-1A (The BEAST)
    G-Shock GD-350-1BER
    (2) G-Shock GXW-56BB-1JF (The KING - I own 2 because everyone should own at least two...LOL)
    G-Shock GW-9300GB-1JF (Mudman)
    G-Shock GD-350-1C (Custom - Black Bezel)
    G-Shock GWX-5600C-7JF (G-LIDE)
    G-Shock GW-5000-1JF
    G-Shock GD-X6900-1CR
    G-Shock GW-9300DC-1CR (Mudman - Custom - Black Bezel Screws/Strap Screws/Strap keeper/Buckle)
    G-Shock G
    W-M5610-1BJF (I want to enter this one in for a honorary COSC rating, its running about .75 seconds fast per month!)
    G-Shock GB-5600B-1JF
    G-Shock GD-X6900MC-1
    Lum-Tec COMBAT B24 Carbon (Miyota 9015 Japan Automatic Movement)
    Lum-Tec COMBAT B35 Auto (STP 1-11 Swiss Automatic Movement)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ocddave View Post
    Maybe in 40 more years, there will be people looking back at us with our huge watches and laughing at us. Every generation is different, and styles come and go, I expect things will change again one day. I really never cared about what other people think though, and I usually go with basic black on a watch, mainly because I don't want to be noticed. I am the same with clothes, cars, etc....I want to disappear from view in a crowd, and on the road.
    40 years? There are already people laughing at giant watches, and small watches too I suppose.
    There are those that would take the smaller watch over the larger watch because they think the larger watch is needlessly massive.
    There are those that would take the larger watch over the smaller watch because they think the smaller watch is too feminine.
    There are those who think both are disproportionate to human wrists and prefer a size somewhere in between.
    Last edited by Fergfour; September 27th, 2017 at 14:58.
    GaryK30 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ocddave View Post
    .... mainly because I don't want to be noticed. I am the same with clothes, cars, etc....I want to disappear from view in a crowd, and on the road.
    I also own this, I'm not afraid of getting noticed LOL

CanonMan likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

For those of us who remember seeing our first Rolex with a cyclops it was "yeah those old dudes need them."

I bought an 0420 Pro Diver with cyclops and it was "hey I can see the date on this one." Now it's a G Shock and I'm wondering "is there one with an even bigger digital window?"

I think there is a reason why watch dials got larger. I have plenty of older male customers who refuse to wear glasses or a hearing aid despite their obvious need. But they will wear a watch bigger than what dad did.

Granddad had little problem with it - he toted a pocket watch. He could read his. For those who think todays watches are big, not so much. A pocket watch was usually too large to wear on a wrist, and those who first tried it as a trench watch had to pick the smaller sizes.

We are just going full circle back to the sizes we used 100 years ago. It has to do with seeing the dial, and very little about what ratio of wrist to watch is involved, other than larger wrists can more easily accommodate larger watches.

There's no shortage of larger wrists out there.
    MainePorsche and domoon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tirod3 View Post
    There's no shortage of larger wrists out there.
    A great argument, well made, yet totally negated by my own puny 6 3/4 inch wrist! LOL

"It has to do with seeing the dial," -- the largest watches are frequently worn as a fashion statement by "younger" dudes, say in the entertainment or sports industries, or just the average joe who prefers larger watches. People without vision problems, not by older gents whose vision has deteriorated.

", and very little about what ratio of wrist to watch is involved" -- since watches are worn on the wrist in this day and age, it does have more to do with the watch/wrist ratio, where as 100 years ago it did not.

"For those who think todays watches are big, not so much" -- I have a couple pocket watches. Some G's (and other brands) have easily exceeded pocket watch sizes.

Agreed on the part about no shortage of larger wrists these days :)

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    The thing about getting old, is that some of your first watches become 'vintage' by default. I was looking in my 'watch box' last night, and came across one of my first Citizen watches, I'm guessing from the late 70s. At the time, it was a pretty cool watch, with that new fangled quartz movement, and 2 x tone bracelet. But the most obvious give away of it's age, is the size! It has a 32mm width, and is 7mm thick. Compared to the watch I wear now, it looks like a toy. At the time it just felt like a normal man sized timepiece, now, the comparison shot makes it look like a ladies watch.

Now, all you young'uns stop laughing, in those days, we knew no better...

Name:  comparison strip.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  320.2 KB

Wearing your Citizen, would you like to be referred to as Mrs. or Ms.?? And do you wear a sundress with it??

Kidding! I probably have 1-2 similar watches lying around in a drawer somewhere..

To be fair though, to us on f17, the Mudmaster is a cool watch. To most non-G people though, it probably looks like a gigantic, ridiculous monstrosity! But even comparing that Citizen to most dress watches today, it would still look small.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    A great argument, well made, yet totally negated by my own puny 6 3/4 inch wrist! LOL

Nahhhhh... I don't think a 6 3/4" wrist can be considered puny. The average man's wrist is probably around 7". I wouldn't say a wrist is puny until you're in the 5" range or so!
    StephenWatch likes this.

I have thick wrists so I've always preferred bigger watches and quite a few G's fit the bill to a T. But it's also a shame cause there are some 70's divers that are just gorgeous that I can't wear cause they're less than 42mm and would look dainty on me. My GWX-5600-1JF at 42mm is the smallest I have. Everything else is 45mm+ with the majority being over 50mm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information