Changing time zone info in Casio Atomic watches
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike K

Thread: Changing time zone info in Casio Atomic watches

Changing time zone info in Casio Atomic watches

Hi, my first post here... I have only recently become a bit of a watchaholic and am contemplating an Edifice A1200 or possibly a Protrek PRW3000 as my next purchase - I do a lot of wilderness travel and among other things the idea of having a compass is appealing to me. But I also live part of the year in the US and part of the year overseas in a country where the start of daylight savings time often changes from year to year, which btw is not one of the countries listed for these watches. It is also outside the range of atomic clock signals. So in brief my question is, if i get one of these watches will I have a hassle setting the time correctly or can I just pick a time zone (say, GMT +2) and manually adjust the start of daylight savings time for whichever zone I pick? I am sure that this is in the manuals but i haven't been able to find one online so far. TIA!

Re: Changing time zone info in Casio Atomic watches

fossilpostle,

Welcome to the forum.

I am fairly new as well but a lot of the G Shock Atomic's can have DST turned off if you wish.

This is a great group of people from around the world with vast amounts of G-Knowledge.

If my answer is not correct, they will chime in if only to confirm or correct the answer.

Have a great day and again, Welcome!
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Hi and welcome!
    Yes, DST can be manually switched on and off when you're not in range of the atomic transmitter.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fossilapostle View Post
    So in brief my question is, if i get one of these watches will I have a hassle setting the time correctly or can I just pick a time zone (say, GMT +2) and manually adjust the start of daylight savings time for whichever zone I pick?
    The full answer may be more complicated than you're looking for, but you can manually turn DST on and off for each city the watch has listed.

I'll use my watch for example, a GW-6900. Right now I've got NYC set as my "home city" since it's the same time zone, DST is "on" and it's 6:18 PM.

If I go into World Time mode and scroll east across the Atlantic, my watch will first scroll through "UTC" (aka "GMT") then Lisbon and London (which are both UTC +0 in the winter) and then Madrid, Paris, Rome, Berlin and Stockholm, which are all UTC +1 in the winter. Right now all of those cities are set on the default "DST off" and all show 11:18 PM. I can then turn DST on for any of those cities and my watch will show 12:18 AM at that point FOR THAT CITY, while the other four remain "DST off."

To use your example, I think I'd simply set the watch to the "home city" in the US that corresponded to whichever timezone you're in there (and set DST to "auto" for when you're in the US and CAN get the radio signal) and then use world time mode when you travel, turning DST on or off as needed for one of the three cities that the watch shows as GMT +2.
    MCZK likes this.

Congrats on 2 great watches to pick from!

The last piece to your puzzle: yes you can manually adjust the time regardless if the G-Shock is atomic or not. I do it every day ;)

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Thanks to all of you!!! I admit that I am kinda torn in several directions, being a bit of an engineering freak I am certainly drawn to high-end automatics and mechanicals... but some of the stuff that casio is doing is just so frigging cool, and as I mentioned the compass is definitely something I'd like to have (altimeter/barometer too, though the need is less critical.) I'll probably end up with both... nature of the situation, I guess. :)

Thread Information