Charging or capacitor issues???
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By sticky
  • 3 Post By sodamonkey
  • 3 Post By judg69
  • 3 Post By yankeexpress

Thread: Charging or capacitor issues???

Charging or capacitor issues???

Over the years I gave my father 3 casios, frogman GW200MS-1a, a GX56-4DR, and a GWM5610 . He stopped wearing them and placed them in their respective tins, and they have been sitting for 2 and 3 years. He needed to wear one the other day and all 3 were dead, so he asked me what to do with them. I took all three of them and placed them in a south facing window and left them for a week. Upon remembering they were there, and checking on them I found the following:

GW200MS-1: completely dead, and did not revive.

GX56-4DR: display shows, but I cannot set the watch as the adjust button does nothing. Battery indicator does not show battery level.

GWM5610: I was able to adjust the time and date, but the battery indicator does not work, and the mode button does nothing, nor does the EL button. Battery indicator does not show battery level.

What are the proper steps to get these 3 back up and running properly? I have never had issues with solars before as I keep all mine charged.

Thank you

Re: Charging or capacitor issues???

Let them sunbathe for a lot longer and take it from there.
    blondygirl69 and yankeexpress like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Let them sunbathe for a lot longer and take it from there.
    As above. If they have been away for that long then they will likely need a few WEEKS to properly revive.

Don't give up, they all sound like they've already taken some sort of charge so should, with patience, come fully back to life.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For one of the G-Steels I bought used , it got to “M” in a week or 10 days, but took another couple weeks to get to “H” and then I gave it another week or so to get it well into the “H” zone. Give it plenty of time in full sun/full daylight. Good Luck.
    Life is short. Enjoy the ride!

mine was a g-7301 which died out 3 years ago after a battery change done wrongly .. (gasket was seated properly) .. took it out recently and used a 900+ lumen flashlight (nitecore srt7) to sit on the bezel and left it like that for 10 mins each time.. after 20-30 mins, the watch came back with a flashing recharge .. further 2 days at the window and it seems to be up to medium or high.. (glass is a bit discolored, probably due to the water)

G-Shock - G-7900 Rescue, G-9100 Gulfman, G-9300 Mudman, GW-9400 Rangeman
    Seiko : SRP608 (4R36-03T0), SKA567 (5M62-0DB0)
    Tag Heuer : 2000 Professional WK1112-1

Have a bunch of Tough Solar G-Shocks from the original release in 1998, all running at H on original 21 years old cells.

Have Never had to replace any solar cell in my dozens of solar Seiko, Citizen, Timex, Casio, G-Shock.

Given enough time in the Sun, they always recover....eventually.

A fun exercise is by dead solars off eBay cheap that the seller thinks are goners and revive them. They always revive....eventually, given enough time in the Sun.

Dead on Arrival G-2300, seller thought it was T.U.

After 4 days of (admittedly weak northern Sun) and it is up to M, on the way to H eventually:

tdinut, CollectorS and Guarionex like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Keep trying but note that sometimes the cells just won't take a charge any more. Particularly if they have been discharged too low, which can happen during years of storage.

Quote Originally Posted by canonite View Post
    mine was a g-7301 which died out 3 years ago after a battery change done wrongly .. (gasket was seated properly) .. took it out recently and used a 900+ lumen flashlight (nitecore srt7) to sit on the bezel and left it like that for 10 mins each time.. after 20-30 mins, the watch came back with a flashing recharge .. further 2 days at the window and it seems to be up to medium or high.. (glass is a bit discolored, probably due to the water)
    Oops.. gasket not seated properly I mean.. anyway.. I just did a check.. think the cell is damaged from deep discharge.. has dropped to flashing recharge in a matter of 2 -3 days. I kept the module face down after charging...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

G-Shock - G-7900 Rescue, G-9100 Gulfman, G-9300 Mudman, GW-9400 Rangeman
    Seiko : SRP608 (4R36-03T0), SKA567 (5M62-0DB0)
    Tag Heuer : 2000 Professional WK1112-1

Thread Information