Charging your solar watches during the dark winter months.
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Charging your solar watches during the dark winter months.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Charging your solar watches during the dark winter months.

This year I purchased a GW5600J-1 and an MTG-910DA (both of which are solar powered), and in recent weeks both were down to a medium charge.

I placed them on my brightest window sill, but after a few days their charge level hadn't changed; with the onset of winter, days have been short and cloudy.

After reading the user manuals for the watches, and discovering the lighting requirements and the terminology for such things, I searched online for a suitable lamp.

I proceeded to discover a series of lamps/lights intended for people who suffer from seasonal affective disorder (aka SAD). Most models of such lamps produce 10,000 lux, which Casio's manuals refer to as "sunlight through a window".

I took the plunge on one relatively compact model: Philips goLITE BLU HF3332.

It can only stay on for an hour at a time. However, after approximately five 60-minute "sessions", both watches are now reporting a high charge level. The lamp does not get hot, so I don't have to worry about the watches getting heat damage.

Anyway, I was wondering how others with solar watches keep their rechargeable batteries topped up during darker months of the year.

Re: Charging your solar watches during the dark winter months.

Considering that most Casio solar watches can run between 5-11 months on one full charge in absolute darkness with daily use (use varies according to manual) I don't do anything to charge them. Should one really ever drop to "LOW" or start flashing "CHG" - there's plenty more watches in my collection to choose from.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

I only have one solar, and I have trouble with it here in winter. We just don't get many hours of sunlight, and it seems to permeate everything. It's dark inside, outside, and all around. Very good for vampires though.
    xevious, Sedi, capt_RENGT and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dmc-01 View Post
    This year I purchased a GW5600J-1 and an MTG-910DA (both of which are solar powered), and in recent weeks both were down to a medium charge.

I placed them on my brightest window sill, but after a few days their charge level hadn't changed; with the onset of winter, days have been short and cloudy.

After reading the user manuals for the watches, and discovering the lighting requirements and the terminology for such things, I searched online for a suitable lamp.

I proceeded to discover a series of lamps/lights intended for people who suffer from seasonal affective disorder (aka SAD). Most models of such lamps produce 10,000 lux, which Casio's manuals refer to as "sunlight through a window".

I took the plunge on one relatively compact model: Philips goLITE BLU HF3332.

It can only stay on for an hour at a time. However, after approximately five 60-minute "sessions", both watches are now reporting a high charge level. The lamp does not get hot, so I don't have to worry about the watches getting heat damage.

Anyway, I was wondering how others with solar watches keep their rechargeable batteries topped up during darker months of the year.
    I do something very similar, using one of these lamps: Amazon.com: Uplift Technologies DL930 Day-Light 10,000 Lux SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) Lamp: Health & Personal Care

The lamp is on a timer so that it stays on for 15 minutres at a time, 4 times a day - total of 60 minutes of 10,000 Lux light/day. Keeps all my solar watches at High charge.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I do something very similar, using one of these lamps: Amazon.com: Uplift Technologies DL930 Day-Light 10,000 Lux SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) Lamp: Health & Personal Care

The lamp is on a timer so that it stays on for 15 minutres at a time, 4 times a day - total of 60 minutes of 10,000 Lux light/day. Keeps all my solar watches at High charge.

HTH
    Sounds like a plan!
    Although not cheap....

Alex

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

HTH
    My fkin god .... please shoot me ... twice ....

Quote Originally Posted by ddrroonnee View Post
    My fkin god .... please shoot me ... twice ....
    You live in California - how would you know what winter 'sunshine' is like for us lesser mortals!!

I've been to where you are, I still have a tan after 5 years!!
    ThomAsio, xevious and Rocat like this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Inactive

And not only do we have few daylight hours (less than 8 where I am), it's often cludy and the sun is in a low angel, so even when the sun is shining, it's weak.

You should all move to Georgia. Plenty of sun year round. And then we could have some REALLY cool G Shock meets! :)

I made this little stand out of PVC for window sill maximization. :)

Last edited by Jeff_C; December 12th, 2011 at 15:04.
    StephenWatch, xevious and ThomAsio like this.
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

If they are fully charged (not just on high, but fully charged) at the end of summer, they should be able to last all winter (and longer) in complete darkness. I've considered getting one of these lamps for use year round (I start to get depressed if it is cloudy for a few days) but I feel like any mood enhancement I might get from the light would be dragged down by the inevitable depression I would experience when I see my electric bill. I am lucky I live in southern california, where I can walk around in a t-shirt most days in December... I don't think I'd be able to live somewhere that gets months of darkness.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information