Cheapest STN LCD watches?
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Cheapest STN LCD watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Got an introduction to STN displays when I purchased the PRG-600 for $119 during that recent Casio sale at Amazon. Long story short. I am very happy at how legible the STN is even on a negative display. Now I'm looking for more (sigh).

Name:  IMG_20190604_095447.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  130.2 KB

So... what are the most affordable (cheapest) STN displays out there?
    GaryK30, Dxnnis and kubr1ck like this.

Re: Cheapest STN LCD watches?

What is STN? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I am not familiar. That is one sweet ProTrek by the way!!
    Tsarli likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer16 View Post
    What is STN? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I am not familiar. That is one sweet ProTrek by the way!!
    It's an abbreviation of "super-twisted nematic", a type of LCD tech that makes screen elements much clearer.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Wanderer16 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarli View Post
    Got an introduction to STN displays when I purchased the PRG-600 for $119 during that recent Casio sale at Amazon. Long story short. I am very happy at how legible the STN is even on a negative display. Now I'm looking for more (sigh).

Name:  IMG_20190604_095447.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  130.2 KB

So... what are the most affordable (cheapest) STN displays out there?
    I LOVE STN but to be honest I kinda feel it only matters most if it’s full digital watch such as protrek 3100 or 3510. It makes a huge difference. Ana-digi models have such small display window that you wouldn’t have a good viewing angle anyway, limited by the recessed window, therefore STN is no big deal.

Thanks! Which is why I found that deal just too good to pass up.

I agree that to get the full STN advantage, a full LCD watch would be ideal. BUT, I also find that STN also greatly improves viewing that small negative display on the PRG-600. And given my age, poor eyesight and the fact that it is a small negative display, I'll take any help that come my way.
    Dxnnis likes this.

My experience with negative display watches of any type is very limited and negative. This was my first Gshock. The little round windows were negative display and all but useless to me. They information contained within them was vital to using any other function of the watch other than analog timekeeping minus seconds (also in the windows). What you see in the picture is a very accurate representation of what I saw every time I looked at the watch. It soured me on negative displays. The picture on Amazon when I ordered the watch was VERY misleading to say the least. I have seen some on here that look a lot better but I always wonder if they just photograph better. The new Range beast is the only one I have even considered. My eyes are not what they once were so when for instance I wear my F91w I consider it a daylight only watch though the display is quite good in the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with negative display watches of any type is very limited and negative. My eyes are not what they once were...
    My 1st negative display, a GW2500 was bought a decade ago, and I feel the same. Even my current favourite, my GWG1000 has a negative display which is only a bit better - they are more a fashion statement, than a legible advance on horology. However, even though they can only be read in limited sets of circumstances, there is something addictive about them!
    G-Drive, Slm643 and memento_mori like this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER...

I just sold my gw-m5610bc-1jf negative display about 18 months ago, I'm definitely going to replace it with a updated version of it soon.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

The cheapest ones I can think of are the G-Shock GR-B100 Gravitymaster, Pro Trek PRW-3510 that Amazon sells, and the Pro Trek PRW-3100YB-1 that Amazon also sells. And of course those PRG-600/650 watches. Also the G-Shock G-STEEL GST-B200 has an STN LCD.

Quote Originally Posted by g-addict View Post
    The cheapest ones I can think of are the G-Shock GR-B100 Gravitymaster, Pro Trek PRW-3510 that Amazon sells, and the Pro Trek PRW-3100YB-1 that Amazon also sells. And of course those PRG-600/650 watches. Also the G-Shock G-STEEL GST-B200 has an STN LCD.
    This one looks great
    Name:  Protrek.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  16.7 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information