The cheapo Casio that beats them all: DB-E30
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The cheapo Casio that beats them all: DB-E30

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The cheapo Casio that beats them all: DB-E30

Hi,
    wanted to do this earlier but didn't have the time. A little review of my latest cheapo Casio databank model - the DB-E30. While researching the DB-36/37 I stumbled across it - I had already ordered the DB-37 however so this one had to wait a bit. But it arrived a few days ago and I couldn't be happier. It really beats every other Casio model I had so far when it comes to the features - and all that for 20€. Which also makes it one of the best "bang-for-the-buck"-models out there. So anybody who's interested in a cheesy looking Databank model with a killer feature set - keep on reading . But first of - a pic:

So it does look cheap but there is something to it that makes it nice on the wrist nonetheless - the curved acrylic crystal in combination with the solar panels and the highly polished bezel (haven't found out yet if it's just chromed plastic) that shimmers and shines when the light hits it - I really like that a lot. The bracelet is functional though nothing special - the links even look massive and not folded:

The clasp holds it safely on the wrist - I had it shortened in such a way that the clasp is moved a little towards the side so that it doesn't dig into my wrist when working on the computer - very comfy and it's no hair-puller either:

The buttons are easy to use but feel a bit wobbly - I wonder how they're fixed to the shafts - certainly not glued on or they wouldn't move. It could happen that you accidentally switch between 12 and 24 hr format - it's switched with the start/stop button - but that doesn't really do any harm after all. On the DB-36 the DST on/off was also changed with that button which is more of a problem - but on the DB-E30 the DST setting was moved to the time-setting sub-menu where it belongs - so this can't happen anymore. One more thing that was changed over the DB-36 is that the DB-E30 has the classic 4-button layout while the DB-36 has 6 buttons and the DB-37 five - the DB-37 therefore lost the ability to scroll upwards and downwards on the setting screens over the DB-36 which made it lose the race for "best module" . The DB-E30 can scroll upwards and downwards.
    Buttons:

You can also see the nicely curved acrylic crystal in that pic - I just love acrylic crystals I have to say - looks just so much nicer. You can also see the plastic bezel around the inner polished bezel - I think that the inner part is steel - but the outer part of the bezel is certainly plastic - as are the connection pieces on the bracelet - the ones that connect the bracelet to the case - still I hope the bracelet will last longer than the resin strap - I've read in reviews that the resin strap on the DB-E30 snaps easily after some time wearing it. Still I'm thinking about getting the resin strap version also.
    The digits are very big - almost as big as on my PRW-1200 - but after all the DB-E30 is 50mm from lug-to-lug - so it's not really a small watch - even though it does certainly wear smaller than a PRW-1200. It's about 37 mm across the case and 13mm thick. Doesn't get caught on sleeves or cuffs.

But now the functions - which is the main reason I bought it in the first place:
    Module 2568
    Watches [ Manuals ] - CASIO WORLDWIDE
    19 languages databank - although I think it's sad that you can't display Japanese weekdays - if you change the language to Japanese it only affects the characters you can put in on the databank but not the weekday - it's not like that on other languages - the watch can display the German names for the weekdays. I wonder why Casio did that.
    But the rest of the features:
    - worldtime (DB-37 and 36 only have dual time)
    - 5 alarms, setable for a certain date - alarm 1 is setable as snooze - each alarm has its own indicator which stays on the display in all modes - a feature I like very much. Alarm is pretty loud too and lasts for 10 sec
    - day counter
    - 24 hr stopwatch
    - 24 hr timer
    But best of all - it shows current time in all modes (except in databank mode) and it also has a quick return feature like on the DW-5600/6900 and many of the older modules.
    It's powered by a ML2016 (many prefer that one over the CTL1616 - but the watch still runs only 6 months on a full charge while modern day solar models run for up to a year with a fully charged CTL1616 - so it's not only size that counts but also energy consumption of the watch). It has one advantage over the standard solar Casios with a CTL1616 - the features all stay fully activated on H, M and L - on all other solar Casios I have - the beeps and illumination gets deactivated when it reaches L. On this one there's like H,M,L - then R (recover) and C (charge). It also has full auto EL of course and power safe (which I turn off when wearing the watch). The EL is a nice blue color similar to the MRG-100 (on the picture it's slightly off - it's bluer in reality):

The display is also very crisp and clear - one of the best - I have to do a comparison shot to the G-8000-1ER which so far is the best display I have (at least on the EL models - the SGW-300 is also very very crisp).
    Some wristshots that show the crispness of the display and the size on the wrist (wrist is about 18cm):

And some comparison shots:
    with the little brother DB-37:

with the Spike Lee:

And last but not least some pictures to show you how nicely the watch "plays" with the light:

So for now I'm really happy with this one - has all the features I want and is dirt cheap. I also like the looks. So far I have found no other Casios (except the DB-36/37) with that kind of feature-set. Now Casio: Please take that module and stuff it into a GX-56 case !
    This is certainly a strong buy in my book. Unbeatable price and so far the best feature set I have ever seen. If you like nerdy looks and cheesy bling and a top-notch module - this is the watch for you! Btw: there's also a nice youtube review of that watch - just look for "DB-E30".

Greetings, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; October 25th, 2011 at 00:06.
    kurzjak likes this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Re: The cheapo Casio that beats them all: DB-E30

Now THOSE are cool!! Albeit only Casio nerds would think so but very cool!
    That blue haze lighting you gave it is nice too, very techy.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao Tzu

Thanks for the compliment on the pics - it's the lighting in our hallway - there are different colored light-bulbs (red and blue) which I use for many of my pictures - depending on which direction I turn the watch it's more blue or red. But on the last pic it's also the short exposure that made it look more blueish. You can also see the reflection of the blue light-bulb in the pic with the books in the background.
    Considering "Nerds" - I think the older I get the "nerdier" I get . When I was younger I was all about sports and stuff - now I spend much of my spare time in front of the computer. I also only started wearing digital watches when I was 20 - with one exception - a Avocet Vertech I bought for skiing.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the excellent write-up Sedi!
    I find the DB-E30 to have a nicely streamlined uncluttered look, the unbroken lines and curves accentuate the look of nice dress watch. At the same time the myriad functions and the solar panels gives it a tough of 'geekiness' too! Cool watch indeed!
    Lee

Hi Sedi- I have one too (from the same dealer you got yours from)

I agree that it is an amazing watch for the money and very comfortable to wear (unlike my metal strap db 37)

The "Tank" shape watch seems to fit perfectly on my wrist.

The only thinh for me (which in a nerdy wat is quite funny) is the "R" function. When I first got it it only had 2 bars showing. After setting it the light wouldn't work and no beeps!

I was cursing the cheap watch and how **** it was and then read about the Recovery mode in the manual.

Regards,

Lotus

ps the price has gone up by quite a bit scine we ordered ours. Still a bargain though!

Never thought I would say this Sedi, but I kinda like that.

You're coming up with some really interesting models lately!

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

I'm quite partial to a bit of geek chic and I must admit I quite like this model, might get myself one :)
    Rolex Submariner 116610LN, Rolex Submariner 14060M, Rolex GMT Master II "Coke" bezel, Hanhart two button chrono WWII, CWC G10, Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch", several Casio G-Shocks.

My cousin loves DB watches, but only those with calculator. He has gone through a few!

I have only one Casio DB watch... the DBA-80 phone dialler watch (not my pic):

I want to put a new battery and strap on mine I think.
    fonklover likes this.
    -=JohnnyBlazE=-

My husband has one of those. He liked it so much, that he bought his best friend one too.

Thanks for a great review Sedi!

I'm not really sure what I think/feel for this one.
    The specs seems to be impressive, but I'm uncertian if I like it or not.
    A unique design that you either love or hate I think.

Glad to read you are so happy with it.
    That's what counts in the end.

Regards
    Peter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information