Was checking out the PAW1500 today and noticed...

Thread: Was checking out the PAW1500 today and noticed...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Was checking out the PAW1500 today and noticed...

...just how cheap and loose the rotating bezels were.

They had a SPF40 (iirc) in the shop too which also has a rotating bezel, but that one is much more solid, robust and tough in look and feel with decent clicks. The PAW1500 bezel by comparison felt like it could snap or fall off at any moment.

Anyone else notice this?

I basically liked everything else about the PAW1500. The strap and Ti version were a very comfy fit and the size was fine. I quite like the display too. I would have preferred Casio didn't even bother with a rotating bezel. Oh well, nothings perfect.

Re: Was checking out the PAW1500 today and noticed...

Well, the whole idea of the rotating bezel is to make the compass as effective as possible (rotates, so you can track more than one direction)

The bezel on some of the older PAW's simply rotates, with no clicking at all. The PAW1500t version does actually have a clicking mechanism, albeit a very 'soft' click.

I just impulse bought the Ti version the other day from JC Pennys. Couldn't resist!!! It's a great watch thus far. Very comfy given the size of the face.
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

just wait for the PAW-1700 and everything will be great I'm sure

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dtmartin46 View Post
    Well, the whole idea of the rotating bezel is to make the compass as effective as possible (rotates, so you can track more than one direction)

The bezel on some of the older PAW's simply rotates, with no clicking at all. The PAW1500t version does actually have a clicking mechanism, albeit a very 'soft' click.
    Yes, I realised the intended use of the rotating compass bezel. I also barely noticed the clicking on the 1500; it seemed very flimsy and loose, and I'd suspect it would easily break off given a mild bump out in the wilds.

The SPF40 as I mentioned, has a much more robust metal rotating bezel with much more heavy clicking mechanism more akin to a serious diver.

I really like the PAW1500 as a module, but am now rather put off by its lack of apparent toughness compared to some of the older Pathys.

@Holger, yes, may be the 1700 will have been given a dose of roids.

I briefly considered the 1500 for the additional utility of the rotating bezel, moonphase and tidegraph but the apparent lack of quality in the bezel really turned me off. I went with the PAW1300T which just arrived in the mail---I opened the box and it took my breath away. I have never been so impressed by a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelmachine View Post
    I briefly considered the 1500 for the additional utility of the rotating bezel, moonphase and tidegraph but the apparent lack of quality in the bezel really turned me off. I went with the PAW1300T which just arrived in the mail---I opened the box and it took my breath away. I have never been so impressed by a watch.
    Yeah, I'm now leaning more towards the PRG80 despite preferring the 1500's module.

I also haven't seen much serious feedback on the accuracy on the 1500's ABC. Alas, the 1300 appears not to be very accurate based on threads posted here.

I haven't scrutinized the accuracy of my 1300. Though I see how potential inaccuracy can be very disconcerting if one is an outdoorsy type. For me the watch's extraneous features are analogous to a Bugatti Veyron. If I had a Veyron I wouldn't actually drive 200+ miles per hours but it's nice to know I could.

I've worn my 1500 for two weeks now and agree that the bezel moves a bit too easily. My SPF-70 bezel moves with much more reassuring clicks. However, my 1500 bezel hasn't moved accidently yet.

I certainly don't think the bezel is cheap, as it's stainless steel.

I've owned 9 Pro-Treks/Pathfinders in my time and I'll say the 1500 is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilsbury View Post
    I've worn my 1500 for two weeks now and agree that the bezel moves a bit too easily. My SPF-70 bezel moves with much more reassuring clicks. However, my 1500 bezel hasn't moved accidently yet.

I've owned 9 Pro-Treks/Pathfinders in my time and I'll say the 1500 is the best.
    Good to know...

...I would've preferred Casio to use the SPF style bezel though, even if it made it more bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilsbury View Post
    One word of note,

The PAW1500 with the titanium bracelet has a plastic bezel (black) whereas the PAW1500 with the regular rubber strap has the metal bezel.

When you look at pics for both watches, it's easy to see this, but i thought i'd point it out. Also, I have the titanium bacelet version, and I actually like the feel of the plastic bezel, although it has moved 'on it's own' a little. If i had something bad to say about the watch it'd be that the bezel movement should be a little stiffer.

Still love it overall tho!
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information