Choosing a G Shock Dw5600 vs G7800
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Choosing a G Shock Dw5600 vs G7800

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Choosing a G Shock Dw5600 vs G7800

Hi guys,

I can get a hold of the G Shock Dw5600 and G7800 for the same price. Which one do you recommend? I had another gshock (G7700) with a rubber/plastic dial around the face, and it just fell off after 8 months of normal wear. Does the G7800 have the metal piece glued on or is it part of the chassis?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Choosing a G Shock Dw5600 vs G7800

I recommend G-7800 to you as it is more functional and better looking (for me). Square metal piece is firm in place so it shouldn't just fall off. :)
    Have a great day!

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Same price? G-7800, no question about it.

The 5600 is super common, in a plethora of cosmetic variations. You'll never have trouble finding one. The G-7800 is a recently discontinued model that has indisputably one of the better modules CASIO has ever made. It's a very unique looking watch and is destined to become a collectible. You can still find them, but new prices seem to be inching up higher these days, although you can periodically get lucky with a great condition used one at a decent price.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your thoughts.

As I haven't seen the 7800 in real life, can anyone tell me if the metal bezel is very shiny and if the 7800 looks much bigger on the wrist than the 5600?

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Same price? G-7800, no question about it.

The 5600 is super common, in a plethora of cosmetic variations. You'll never have trouble finding one. The G-7800 is a recently discontinued model that has indisputably one of the better modules CASIO has ever made. It's a very unique looking watch and is destined to become a collectible. You can still find them, but new prices seem to be inching up higher these days, although you can periodically get lucky with a great condition used one at a decent price.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

The G-7800 is not a lot but still a bit bigger on the wrist. The bezel of the positive display model isn't shiny it is matte. The black bezel of the negative display model is ironically more shiny, it looks a bit like piano lacquer.

The module of the G-7800 is considered a good one because of the highly configurable settings. Though personally I don't consider it great, the lack of showing current time in stw and/or cdt is a little minus for me. The DW-5600 does exactly that and it has a longer illumination too when you hit the light button. (G-7800 only 1.5 second) Both models have not the greates to press button, they are recessed and too small in my opinion (especially for gloves), so the use of fingernails is most often mandatory. The legibilty of the G-7800 is better, the digits are bigger and much clearer than on the DW-5600. All in all a tough choice, but honestly you can't go wrong with either one.

cheers
    G-Shock Absorber likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

Thanks for you advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    The G-7800 is not a lot but still a bit bigger on the wrist. The bezel of the positive display model isn't shiny it is matte. The black bezel of the negative display model is ironically more shiny, it looks a bit like piano lacquer.

The module of the G-7800 is considered a good one because of the highly configurable settings. Though personally I don't consider it great, the lack of showing current time in stw and/or cdt is a little minus for me. The DW-5600 does exactly that and it has a longer illumination too when you hit the light button. (G-7800 only 1.5 second) Both models have not the greates to press button, they are recessed and too small in my opinion (especially for gloves), so the use of fingernails is most often mandatory. The legibilty of the G-7800 is better, the digits are bigger and much clearer than on the DW-5600. All in all a tough choice, but honestly you can't go wrong with either one.

cheers

I prefer the 7800 since I've got one and really love the look of it. 5600 to me is a great watch with a conservative look. cal..45 pointed out their cons and pros very nicely. You may want to take a look at the thread I made when I got my 7800 here. It's all up to you and your needs.
    "There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love."~ Sir Stirling Moss

I had G-7800 and DW-5000SL for a few months. I prefered the first one, but sold both of them, because they were a tad too small for me (7,5 inches wirst). Now I have GX-56 and nearly Protrek SGW-100, but it is a different story...
    Name:  G.jpg
Views: 2705
Size:  346.5 KB

Cheers, Piowa

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    Here's a nice review and comparison of a G-7800 with a DW-5000SL:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-7...ew-316020.html
    I have both - but I have the blacked out version of the 7800. As far as the question of the case construction goes - you should ask member d2mac as he changed bezels on that model and should be able to tell you how the top steel bezel is attached - I suspect it might be glued on with double sided sticky tape. The module is great IMO but I think it lacks slightly in toughness - I only wear it as a "dressy" G-Shock but I'm not really hard on any of my watches. If you want a 5600 with a slightly more advanced module over the DW-5600E (but lacking current time in timer and stopwatch mode - and also lacking auto repeat on the timer) including world time and more alarms - look at the G-5600. One thing I really dislike about the newer 5600 models is however that the buttons are even harder to press than on the old ones as Casio decided to shorten the button stems - they were already shortened when the DW-5600C was replaced with the DW-5600E and then again when changing to the G-5600 and introducing the new GWX-5600 and the Cina-made DW-5600E, IMHO bringing the 5600 on the brink of no longer being very useable at all. Buttons on the 7800 are a bit better but not by much.
    So all in all - squares are not the best choice when it comes to user-friendliness - that's why I only have a select few of them :

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; June 30th, 2012 at 22:22.
    Cheers
    Sedi

I prefer the 5600, the aesthetics of the G7800 do not appeal to me at all.
    Last edited by Fer Guzman; July 1st, 2012 at 00:16.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information