Clarity of G-Shock negative displays?

Thread: Clarity of G-Shock negative displays?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Clarity of G-Shock negative displays?

Anyone out there have a G with negative display and unhappy with the clarity when back light not on or in daylight - so hard to tell from pictures and Casio ads/pics make it look super contrasty? Not sure it's all it's cracked up to be and would appreciate your input before I buy. TNX

Re: Clarity of G-Shock negative displays?

The clarity is diminished, naturally. Whether that is of concern depends on how much you value clarity. For myself, I sold the two negative display models I had because of poor clarity in low light.

Other people are perfectly happy with reverse displays.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Wink Re: Clarity of G-Shock negative displays?

Hi Bfgreen,

I have a lot negative display models and without doubt I dare to say the larity is less than a normal display. I recently wore a DW-003TL and noticed I couldn't read the display without using the backlight, while I normally could read the display sharp on a regular display. The advantage of a negative display is it's looks. A negative display just have a great appeal. Also the amount of less clarity isn't that bad that I would not wear it.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    The clarity is diminished, naturally. Whether that is of concern depends on how much you value clarity. For myself, I sold the two negative display models I had because of poor clarity in low light.

Other people are perfectly happy with reverse displays.
    The GW5600BCJ1 is not that clear, except when the sun hits the display at certain angles...and then it is really quite striking.

Unfortunately it is illegible in low light, which doesn't work for me in the evenings especially since DST ended.

My solution:

Cheers

Jim

I not recomended the inverse displays, only in perfect light coniditions you can read very well...great looking...but only in models with GREAT DIGITS...type GW-300...

They look cool in stores. But once you get them home the clarity is

Colored displays are also less clear than regular displays, though not as bad as negative displays. The worst is when you combine them both.
    SPROING!!!!

(oops! Time for a new watch!)

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

generally spoken a negative display never has the legibility as a positive one does. however, there are poor negative displays and great negative displays. a pretty good example of a very poor negative display is the GW-810BD. I owned this watch for about two weeks and it was the worst to read display I have ever seen on any digital watch. I then traded it for a GW-810BXD and the "x" made all the difference in the world. while the display of the "BD" is yellow/amber on black ground....

the display of the "BXD" is silver/grey on black ground.....

while it doesn't appear so on the pic due to the flashlight of the camera, I assure you the yellow/amber digits are almost invisible in a room during daylight without turning any additional light on, even on a sunny day outside in a shadow (!!). I was forced to push the light button a whole lot more than I usually need to do. the difference in legibility between those two is highly dramatic, I wouldn't believe if I hadn't seen it for myself, the "BXD" is the complete opposite of the "BD" and one of the best to read negative displays I have seen to date. so its all depending on the design, but nevertheless will a negative display never 100% catch up with a positive display, but the "coolness factor" is a lot higher.

regards, holger
    Last edited by cal..45; November 16th, 2007 at 00:16.

I agree with the other comments so far, the inverse display no issues for me outdoors, it takes some effort to view the time when indoors or when driving in the car.

Aesthetically, looks cool, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree too.

I've always enjoyed the 'cool' factor of my G-056 neg display but I ended up buying a positive one too, for the daytime ! Same as jhm3 did.

You can see the vast difference here :

http://www.casiovintage.org/casiog4.html

'bout half way down the page.

The negative display is fine at night when I'd use the EL anyway but so many times during the day I just couldn't see it at all.

Same here... the negative display is more a 'look' factor for me... if I needed clarity, i'd be wearing my other Shocks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information