CLB2016
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Watch_Geekmaster
  • 1 Post By Joakim Agren

Thread: CLB2016

CLB2016

CLB2016 is the rechargeable battery used in Casio's GPW-1000, OCW-G1000 and MRG-G1000 solar GPS watches. Because all these are out of my price range to buy, at first I was paying very little attention to them. But a recent thread stirred up my interests to research a bit more into them, to my surprise there's no mention of the battery type used in Casio websites and manuals. Aside from one mention here in the forum by a member happened to look up parts in Pacparts and a few references in the web tying this battery type to the watches, there's nothing else as I could find either.

The CLB2016 and bigger versions CLB2032/3032 turned out to be relatively new product developed by Maxell. CLB simply stands for Coin Lithium-ion Battery. Maxell also provides its charge control circuits, to make sure the battery's charging safely and optimally. The table below is a comparison to another rechargeable of same size ML2016, its non-rechargeable counterpart CR2016, and the usual rechargeable battery CTL1616 used in older G's.

You can see the new battery can generate a lot of current at discharge, more so than the others. But the optimal charging temperature is only a small range from 0 to 45 degrees C. Meaning it won't charge in a very hot summer day, or in winter when it drops just below freezing. There are some data I couldn't find for the other battery, if you can find them feel free to post.

CLB2016
    ML2016
    CR2016
    CTL1616
    Diameter (mm)
    20 20 20 16
    Thickness (mm) 2.0 1.6 1.6 1.6
    Weight (g) 2.1 1.8 1.7 1.1
    Operating Temperature (deg. C)
    -20 to +60 -20 to +60 -20 to +85 -10 to +60
    Chemicals
    Lithium-ion Lithium Manganese
    Dioxide
    Lithium Manganese
    Dioxide
    Lithium Cobalt Oxide /
    Lithium Titanium Oxide
    Nominal Capacity (mAh) 30 25 90 18
    Nominal Voltage (V) 3.7 3.0 3 2.3
    Nominal Discharge Current (mA) - 0.2 0.1 1.0
    Max Discharge Current (mA) 60 Continuous: 8
    Pulse: 20
    Continuous: 5
    Pulse: 17
    -
    Charging Voltage (V)
    4.2 3.1 N/A 2.6
    Charging Current (mA)
    15 - N/A 3.0
    Charging Temp (deg. C) 0 to +45 - N/A -
    Charging Cycles
    500+ 500+ N/A 100+
    JohnQFord, RHJones and Queen6 like this.

Re: CLB2016

charging cycles 100+ or 500+ wonder what that means? Might as well put 1+

500+ means >= 500. 500 charging cycles meaning 500 full cycles from no charge (or close to) to full charge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Great post!

Love to see that capacity and charging cycles are improving on modern Gs!

Still the capacity of rechargeable cells is much lower then the capacity of a non-rechargeable.

The battery temp is monitored by charing electronics at laptop and cellphone batteries too.
    I guess the same safety margins are used there.
    Last edited by d2mac; October 5th, 2015 at 23:05.

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    Great post!
    Love to see that capacity and charging cycles are improving on modern Gs!
    Thanks. May be this new battery is only for these 3 current G's and any future GPS G's, due to the high energy draw of the GPS chip.

Still the capacity of rechargeable cells is much lower then the capacity of a non-rechargeable.
    Well the argument is that while CLB2016's only 30 mAh compare to 90 mAh of the CR2016, it's a able to replenish that many times. In fact, you look at Maxell's product page, it's multiplied by 500 times (cycles) to get the final capacity. Coin Type Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery (CLB) - Maxell You can find all sort of tech docs from this link.

The battery temp is monitored by charing electronics at laptop and cellphone batteries too.
    I guess the same safety margins are used there.
    True. Especially the higher temp limit, you don't want your watch to blow up on you!

Great find, I really enjoy reading these technical details that aren't published in normal press information. One thing I noticed which I thought is odd is that they've named it CLB2016, which should mean 20mm diameter and 1.6mm thickness, but the actual dimension is 20mm diameter with 2.0mm thickness

I suspect that these newer batteries are probably used to complement the higher power draw of the GPS chip

When I first found out about a solar GPS G-Shock I immediately thought something must be different since the tiny capacity cells used in other solar Casio's can not possibly work for that. So I knew it had to be a different accumulator in it. But I just forgot about it later so never looked it up. But now I see you did watch_geek2014 so now I do not have to so a nice Goldstar beer for you:

Name:  2004-07-05-rejected-goldstar-ad-toulouse-has-his-beer.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  21.2 KB

One of the positive side effects of this new power source is the much brighter LED light normally LED's from solar G's are rather dim and weak!

Name:  MR Bean.Hulk.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  115.9 KB

watch_geek2014 likes this.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

If Bean becomes the Hulk, do you think his calculator watch will look fine on his wrist? May be a little hard to use the watch keyboard, too.

Here's my thread about Bean watches in the Digital/ABC forum.

so this means that ctl 1616 has 100 charge cycles?ok.ad lb 2016 has 500 plus.amazing.so it may never hav to be changed for life of watch ,say if we need 3 or 4 full chargings per year.
    but it seems the clb 2016 is being used in only the most expansive solars.and 1616 will be used in most other solars.

mudmaster has ctl 1616 battery i think?

The mighty ML-2020 used in the Raysman had a voltage of 3v and a huge capacity of 45 mAh. It take an absolute age to charge to full capacity even in full summer sun.

It operated at-20 to +60 and could do upto 1000 cycles.

Mitch

Thread Information