Cleaning Window with Rubbing Alcohol...
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Cleaning Window with Rubbing Alcohol...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Cleaning Window with Rubbing Alcohol...

Can rubbing alcohol damage the bond between the glass and module?
    CASIO GW-M5610-1 & PULSAR PQ2011

Re: Cleaning Window with Rubbing Alcohol...

It might help if you were speaking the same "watch language" as the rest of us. The title makes it sound like you're cleaning the windows in your house.

The CRYSTAL is the piece of glass attached to the WATCH CASE. The MODULE is the electronics component inside the case.

On G-Shocks, the "bond" between the crystal and case is a thin plastic gasket, as in this picture: IMG_20130829_221246.jpg Photo by Asuncion_Family_Photos | Photobucket (from this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dw5...al-906169.html )

Rubbing alcohol MIGHT interact with the plastic gasket or it might not, so why take a chance? Most of us here just use soap and water to clean all parts of our G-Shocks -- just make sure to rinse it well to get all the soap off, and excessively rubbing the watch while cleaning or drying it may start to make matte resin shiny.
    Pachoe likes this.

I guess I'll just see what happens lol.... If it breaks I'll buy another... it's only $90 ... I just hate configuring all the settings from out of the box....

I used hand sanitizer btw and a q-tip to get deep into the corners.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rostislav Persion View Post
    I guess I'll just see what happens lol.... If it breaks I'll buy another... it's only $90 ... I just hate configuring all the settings from out of the box....

I used hand sanitizer btw and a q-tip to get deep into the corners.
    If you only did it a few times, you should be fine, but you probably don't need to do it every day -- stick with soap and water every once in a while, only when the watch needs it, and you'll be fine!

Which "corners?" If you're talking about the inside corners of the bezel (where the bezel touches the glass) and if you used a gel-type sanitizer, it might not even have reached the gasket.

But seriously -- your watch is water resistant to 200 meters of water pressure, so it can handle the shower. Just wear your watch into the shower once in a while IF it gets dirty, wash it with soap and water, and it should last for years.
    idkfa likes this.

There is no need to use chemicals on your G-Shock.

I do what Mike has mentioned. If I just finished a workout I would be wearing whatever G-Shock I was using at the gym. I take it off and hold it under the bath faucet for a bit before I pull the diverter to the shower head. The high flow rate and warm temperature gets rid of any sweat, dirt, or oils that may be on the watch. I then put the watch in our shower caddy to dry off over night.

I have, however, lost track of watches in the caddy which leads to my significant other joking about there being multiple watches sitting in the shower. Something about me having a problem, or something.
    HoosierTrooper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    It might help if you were speaking the same "watch language" as the rest of us. The title makes it sound like you're cleaning the windows in your house.

The CRYSTAL is the piece of glass attached to the WATCH CASE. The MODULE is the electronics component inside the case.

On G-Shocks, the "bond" between the crystal and case is a thin plastic gasket, as in this picture: IMG_20130829_221246.jpg Photo by Asuncion_Family_Photos | Photobucket (from this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dw5...al-906169.html )

Rubbing alcohol MIGHT interact with the plastic gasket or it might not, so why take a chance? Most of us here just use soap and water to clean all parts of our G-Shocks -- just make sure to rinse it well to get all the soap off, and excessively rubbing the watch while cleaning or drying it may start to make matte resin shiny.
    You are one of the few that still takes this guy's questions seriously. God bless you!!
    HoosierTrooper, Crater and kcohS-G like this.

Duplicate
    Last edited by Subafan; February 12th, 2016 at 22:03.
    HoosierTrooper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Subafan View Post
    You are one of the few that still takes this guy's questions seriously. God bless you!!!
    What's crazy about my post? I was trying to get spots off of my watch crystal and tried rubbing alcohol... I should have stuck with soap and water.... whats wrong with my post?

Quote Originally Posted by Rostislav Persion View Post
    What's crazy about my post? I was trying to get spots off of my watch crystal and tried rubbing alcohol... I should have stuck with soap and water.... whats wrong with my post?
    I think you're wasting your time with alcohol: if the window is dirty, just throw away the watch and buy a new one, it's only $90 and brand new watches have perfectly clean windows and modules ! (well, if you buy online, you may receive a slightly dirty brand new watch, but in this most unlikely case, just order another one, after all it's only $90 !)
    Best regards,
    Your sincere friend lincruste
    Last edited by lincruste; February 12th, 2016 at 21:58.
    Subafan and HoosierTrooper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lincruste View Post
    I think you're wasting your time with alcohol: if the window is dirty, just throw away the watch and buy a new one, it's only $90 and brand new watches have perfectly clean windows and modules ! (well, if you buy online, you may receive a slightly dirty brand watch, but in this most unlikely case, just order another one, after all it's only $90 !)
    Best regards,
    Your sincere friend lincruste
    I was going to get a second one anyways. I'm not rich or anything. Most people here have like 10 watches...

I would only buy a new one if I damaged the water tight seal on the watch...

I was watching a Patek Philippe servicing video and they showed that the crystal was connected using some kind of glue... this is why I got worried...
    Last edited by Rostislav Persion; February 12th, 2016 at 22:05.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information