Clear jelly/plastic - anyone ever try de-yellowing?
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Clear jelly/plastic - anyone ever try de-yellowing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Clear jelly/plastic - anyone ever try de-yellowing?

Not sure if online ideas of bleach/peroxide soltutions are harmful or even work. Or ultra file sandpaper.??
    Steve in Florida, USA

Re: Clear jelly/plastic - anyone ever try de-yellowing?

i don't think much could be done to refresh discolored transparent jelly resin, I think the discoloration is a chemical transformation that happens from inside out as it were and is not a surface thing that could be cleaned off.

On the bright side, this kind of resin aging will not happen to newer, current G-Shocks. if I'm not mistaken, Casio has found a way to prevent it.

But, this is all the kindsa stuff that I really don't need to be thinking about personally, because this has yet again got me thinking about getting the GA400SK-1A9. This on and off urge of some three months running is on again.

memento_mori and Dxnnis like this.

I don’t think it’s just a surface discolouration but an ageing process that results in discolouration that is more than skin deep.
    Dxnnis likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello DP, I’ve not seen you for a while - just thought you’d let me know you were in the area did you?

Yellowing is a chemical reaction that cannot be reversed. Not sure is the formula has changed, but on older models, I consider it patina and normal.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    memento_mori and Dxnnis like this.
    Call sign: Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

thanks all, the orphan I just picked up isnt bad at all.

Name:  nexaxx.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  112.0 KB
    Steve in Florida, USA

Rock it as is.

I would not try to fix Mrs Wit's baby frog

i would def. not try anything on that dw003, id even be worried about using soapy water. 003's were one of the few unlucky models to be prone to rot, not all but far more than other models. i used to have many 003s, huge fan of the retro look and variety of diff. band styles but after more than a few "thanos finger snap" moments with them ive pretty much sold all of them cos i couldnt bare to see more of them die )-,:

the new crystal resin has only been around for about a year so no one can say for certain if it discolours as its never been available before.

in the sneaker world, ppl have used products like "sea glow" to reverse the oxidisation on "icy" soles to reasonable effect but i have no idea what the ingredients will do to resin since it uses peroxide. i guess its worth a try if you have an old beater to sacrifice.

its def. not a surface thing, which is why most ppl tend to just go the dye route to cover up the yellowing (if it bothers them). again, not something id recommend for the 003 tho.
    GaryK30 and Dxnnis like this.
    One struck by lightning is not the same as by a baseball or cabbage.

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu Tekubi View Post
    i would def. not try anything on that dw003, id even be worried about using soapy water. 003's were one of the few unlucky models to be prone to rot, not all but far more than other models. i used to have many 003s, huge fan of the retro look and variety of diff. band styles but after more than a few "thanos finger snap" moments with them ive pretty much sold all of them cos i couldnt bare to see more of them die )-,:

the new crystal resin has only been around for about a year so no one can say for certain if it discolours as its never been available before.

in the sneaker world, ppl have used products like "sea glow" to reverse the oxidisation on "icy" soles to reasonable effect but i have no idea what the ingredients will do to resin since it uses peroxide. i guess its worth a try if you have an old beater to sacrifice.

its def. not a surface thing, which is why most ppl tend to just go the dye route to cover up the yellowing (if it bothers them). again, not something id recommend for the 003 tho.
    Yes, I think Mitch dyed yellowed jelly resin to a nice blue on one of his watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information