As Close As I'm Going To Get To a GW-5000 (pic heavy)
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By JoseCanseco

Thread: As Close As I'm Going To Get To a GW-5000 (pic heavy)

As Close As I'm Going To Get To a GW-5000 (pic heavy)

Last week I found this GWM5600 on eBay:

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-06-22 at 10.34.48 PM.png
Views: 586
Size:  234.0 KB

The band and bezel were pretty beaten-up but I didn't buy it for that - I just wanted its guts. I've got one of these on the way:

Name:  G-5500TS-8.jpeg
Views: 588
Size:  28.6 KB

and I wanted to put the GWM5600's module into the 5500TS to upgrade it to both solar and atomic as opposed to simply solar. I still may do this mod in the future but I'll need to pick up another 3063 module. I'm assuming the mod will be possible, being that the 5500TS contains the 3160 module, the same contained in the 5600GK. I've successfully swapped those modules so I don't see why I couldn't do it again.

The first thing I noticed about the white GWM5600 was that the crystal differed from the black version of the same watch, having a white ring below the solar panel as opposed to a red one. Liking the more subtle look, and disliking both bands that came with my DWM5600s (for different reasons), I created another Frankenstein:

Name:  IMG_7629.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  216.6 KB

This one goes a bit further than my previous mod, having an original module/module case of a white DWM5600, the bezel of a black DWM5600, and the straps from a DW5600E. Initially, I tried using the DW5600E's bezel but it was too small, something I was not expecting.

Here, you can see the white on the module case (or whatever it's called):
    Name:  IMG_7627.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  211.3 KB

Obligatory wrist shots:
    Name:  IMG_7617.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  308.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_7618.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  303.6 KB

So, not quite a GW5000 but it's about as close as I'm going to get unless my financial situation changes I didn't realize the bands between the two DWM5600s were different prior to seeing it in person; the black version has a similar band to the majority of the 5600 line, whereas the white version is the same, thicker band as found on the 5600KG. Had it not arrived in such poor condition I would have attempted to dye it black or something.

The next obvious step would be to buy the GW5000 band and put it on this watch, something I may do. If you have a good source, please post it blow. Anyway, thanks for looking!
    Last edited by JoseCanseco; June 23rd, 2012 at 06:17.

Re: As Close As I'm Going To Get To a GW-5000 (pic heavy)

pacparts will be cheaper but they are not in stock so it takes a while they are 16 bucks there plus shipping. if you want it now you can get it on ebay for 24 or 25 shipped, I bought it from a guy in los angeles and service was fast, I checked and he has them listed. I also bought one from tiktox.com but they dont always have them in stock and they are shipped from the UK and I cant remember how much it was but I did get the shipment in like 6-10 days regular shipping.

I noticed the difference, its as wide as the dw5600e strap but softer and more comfortable.

Nice mod.
    Last edited by Fer Guzman; June 23rd, 2012 at 06:32.

Should be able to source band & bezel here :-www.tiktox.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Coler View Post
    Should be able to source band & bezel here :-www.tiktox.com
    Thanks! I was able to source one on eBay thanks to Fer Guzman. Hopefully it'll be here soon!

My new GW-5000 strap arrived today. Wow. I noticed it was more comfortable when I first put it on but the difference in the material became INSANELY obvious just now. I've been wearing the mutant watch (above) with the band that originally came with my DW5600E, as it was my most comfortable band. I put the old band back on the DW5600E when the new strap arrived and put the watch in the drawer.

I just popped the mutant off to allow for the atomic sync so I put the DW5600E back on my wrist - it feels like I'm wearing my GX56. This harder material is so much more noticeable on my wrist now. I fear I'm going to have to replace all of my 5600 straps.

Quote Originally Posted by JoseCanseco View Post
    My new GW-5000 strap arrived today. Wow. I noticed it was more comfortable when I first put it on but the difference in the material became INSANELY obvious just now. I've been wearing the mutant watch (above) with the band that originally came with my DW5600E, as it was my most comfortable band. I put the old band back on the DW5600E when the new strap arrived and put the watch in the drawer.

I just popped the mutant off to allow for the atomic sync so I put the DW5600E back on my wrist - it feels like I'm wearing my GX56. This harder material is so much more noticeable on my wrist now. I fear I'm going to have to replace all of my 5600 straps.
    YES you will haha

Thread Information