Coating coming off?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Coating coming off?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Coating coming off?

Looked at my five or six month old G8900-1 this morning and I thought there was some sort of discoloration around the bezel. Usually i see these things and I am able to wipe them off with my hand but this time it wouldn't come off. After closer inspection, it seems to be the coating coming off at the corner. Don't know what could have caused this, I don't misuse this watch at all or toss it around like my older G's. I do sometimes put it down face down but the part where the coating is coming off doesn't make contact with any surface I put it on at all.

I lost my last G-shock, a 9052 which I kept for over two years and it was in pristine condition. I don't know if this is a common occurrence or specific to some models, maybe a quality control thing?

Here are some pics, I don't know if this is something I can have taken back to the service center to have re-coated. It's a small thing but it annoys the crap out of me especially considering how careful i've been with it.

Name:  IMG_6327 1.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  170.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6329 1.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  186.5 KB

Re: Coating coming off?

That is a rub mark whick has caused the mattt surface to go shiny.

It has happened to mine as well. I don't think you can do much about it. Some people say you can minimise it by rubbing it with a pencil rubber but that didn't work for me.

Mitch

I think you may have misunderstood how G-Shocks are designed. The bezel is merely a protective cover to protect the case and internals, it may wear down, lose it's surface patina, gain some scratches and gouges and that is what it is designed to do. The bezel is designed to take the beating so the case and workings keep on going fully protected.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i think you moved you hand while wearing the G, and accidentally scratched it ...

That does suck - kinda like babying your new car and then suffering that first parking lot door ding. But you get over it and it sorta sets you free from worry from that point on. The cool thing about G-Shocks is that they're not some expensive piece of mechanical art - if it really bugs enough you can decide to buy another one and use this one as the stunt double :).
    Sjors and Nightshift like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbi Laurenson View Post
    That does suck - kinda like babying your new car and then suffering that first parking lot door ding. But you get over it and it sorta sets you free from worry from that point on. The cool thing about G-Shocks is that they're not some expensive piece of mechanical art - if it really bugs enough you can decide to buy another one and use this one as the stunt double :).
    That's the spirit!

Cheers,

Sjors

PS: Damage and dust looks always much worse with macro's
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

I agree with you, it kind of sucks to get that first ding in a new car. But, I also agree that G's are made to be worn and be worn down. Wear it with pride! when it gets too dinged up then its time to get a new one and mod this one!

EDIT: if you are dead set on "repairing" this I would buy one of those cans of rubberized spray paint (black of course)... you may just find that you can touch it up with a toothpick or small brush that you load up with paint. Just an idea, IDK. it would take time/money to find the right match but if it means that much I think that's what I would do to try to fix it.
    Last edited by Nightshift; September 7th, 2012 at 19:47.

LUW

Painting a bezel will work for only a few hours of use at the most before it comes off.
    Last edited by LUW; September 7th, 2012 at 21:37.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

It's just a war wound, which on a G is perfectly fine!

All you need is a precision philips screwdriver and a new G-8900-1 replacement bezel.
    Wearing a different G-SHOCK ​everyday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information