Cognac Time: Gem of a vintage model! Lucky find~
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Cognac Time: Gem of a vintage model! Lucky find~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cognac Time: Gem of a vintage model! Lucky find~

Hi all. It's been awhile since I posted any threads on unboxing. I mean, most of the watches released nowadays are pretty nice and awesome, but after awhile, it's all pretty much the same. Of course, for example, except for releases like the MNM (and all those delicious MoGs) which had one of the best packaging imho. However, I decided to do this once again to share my joy in nabbing a rare gem. =)

To cut the long story short; during one of my recent trips to Japan, I was sauntering on the streets, pretty much strolling about aimlessly and randomly popped into an old, visually non-enticing watch shop. Wasn't expecting to find anything but suddenly, in the corner of one of the glass cabinet at the most bottom tier, I saw a rare gem. Took it out, realised the condition was 9.5/10, the box when asked to be produced was absoutely 99% mint, and remembered browsing an old thread with this watch sometime back. I liked it instantly, took a small gamble, bought it home and did some research. Problem is, the internet did not pop up much info, until I saw a review of this watch in one of Sjors 50Gs entry. So I shall not go into details as all you pros would probably know about this watch.

Here it is:

DW-9500US-1VT. Box is absolutely in a 99% nice condition.

I love the idea that the whole packaging can transform into a paper-cardboard-turned-display-stand packaging with a few flips of the cardboard flaps.

Watch face/dial is perfect. Jelly condition of bezel is impossibly fantabulous for a watch produced in 1998. Probably only yellowed like 4-5% at the small areas in contact with the metal part? Also, a microscopic scruff each at the "adjust" & "split/reset" button but it's so hard to capture on photos I skipped it. Love the surfboard EL backlight as well.

"US OPEN SURFING" rubber tag on the band is as new as it can be. Strap is also just a tad yellowed towards the loose end but really not noticeable unless you scrutinize it like real hard.

Last huge shot of the watch face.

And I took all these pictures in a dark room, on a red table with a tungsten lamp as the only source of lighting. It looks much "fresher" in real.

I think I have gotten myself a rare gem. =D

Oh yah one more thing. One thing that is awesome and baffles me at the same time:

The temperature sensor is really cool. Unlike models nowadays where you have to get into the temperature mode (GDF-100 for example), it can actually be shown on the time-keeping mode and it will refresh itself every min with a new temperature reading (
    you can switch back and forth between the date and temperature with just one button push). It records a maximum of 100 readings.

Absolutely useless to me, of course.

Very plausibly inaccurate, certainly.

But it's cool. That's all that matters. haha.

But then again, I looked left and right, right and left......

Where the hell is the sensor located..?? lol.

Last edited by Cognac0113; March 1st, 2014 at 15:37.
    fwupow, etejut, le buzz and 9 others like this.
    My Current Beater:
    Casio G-Shock: GW-2310FB-1CR

-=[My Pelican 1495; Home for my Gs]=-

Re: Cognac Time: Gem of a vintage model! Lucky find~

outstanding condition!
    Cognac0113 likes this.

Wow! So that's the actual color of the resin? I saw pics of this posted a while back and it's jelly resin look faded and dull. Yours is in pristine condition. Great find.
    Cognac0113 likes this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice pickup.

It is hard to find these without the jelly having yellowed. Nice module too.

Mine says hello.

Mitch
    Cognac0113 and nigelw like this.

Amazing!! congrats on the great find bro! I don't normally check 2 many vintage threads cause most of the time it's some black square.. haha but i knew yours would be interesting! awesome find! they put a lot of effort into it, looks great.

wish Casio would give us a coloured jelly line this year.
    Cognac0113 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Wow! So that's the actual color of the resin? I saw pics of this posted a while back and it's jelly resin look faded and dull. Yours is in pristine condition. Great find.
    There is another yellow, blue and white one but I'm not too sure are there any more colorways. Yeah, it's a refreshing mint green kinda color. =D

Quote Originally Posted by starscream View Post
    Amazing!! congrats on the great find bro! I don't normally check 2 many vintage threads cause most of the time it's some black square.. haha but i knew yours would be interesting! awesome find! they put a lot of effort into it, looks great.

wish Casio would give us a coloured jelly line this year.
    Haha thanks! And your's so far has my 100% attention too! haha. And I have a love-hate rship with jellies...they look so fantastic new, but they are like the easiest type of resin to get hopelessly weathered..

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    Nice pickup.

It is hard to find these without the jelly having yellowed. Nice module too.

Mine says hello.

Mitch

Thanks mitch! Yeah, the module is pretty awesome. And I like the fact that the stopwatch starts and stops using the "G" button. =D What is the original color of yours? Is it the white one or the yellow one..? It's so seasoned I can't tell lol. anyway, nice little touch with that painted "G" button Sir. =)
    Last edited by Cognac0113; March 1st, 2014 at 17:21.
    starscream and nigelw like this.
    My Current Beater:

That is an excellent rare DW-9500. I have one but it's the regular version with jelly resin strap of the same color. It's not a US Open of Surfing version.

You probably have that cardboard case to thank for the less than usual amount of yellowing.

Many of the jelly resin G-Shocks of the late 90s that were sold in Japan came in clear poly-carbonate cases as you may have seen with many a Raysman. Unfortunately those cases allow light to hit the watch which causes the discoloration (yellowing) of the resin parts. I have a DW-6900S from 1996 but it's the European version which apparently was sold in a cardboard box and somehow mine managed to live a life of concealment/storage inside that box, so that it came to me looking exactly like the CASIO stock photo, with no yellowing at all, but the strap is somewhat stiff.

I think that the US Open of Surfing is the only surfing event that G-Shock has managed to maintain a minor sponsorship status with. Lately I've seen Nixon watches as the "Timepiece Sponsor" at the Triple Crown of Surfing which I would guess prevents CASIO from releasing any TCOS G-Lides like they did until 2005? (can't remember the last one).

(edit)
    Another thing you can be thankful for (at least I would be) is that, judging from the "VT" in the model number this an Export market version (probably explains the cardboard box) and that means you may have switchable units, so you can display temperature in either Celsius or Fahrenheit. My JDM "Xtreme" only does Celsius.

also just looked it up. The last TCOS G-Lides were released in Jun 2004 (GL-250TC) but there was a TCOS Gulfman in Jul 2007 and a TCOS Silencer in May 2006 & TCOS Frogs in 2005.
    Last edited by fwupow; March 1st, 2014 at 18:14.
    Cognac0113 and nigelw like this.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

Quote Originally Posted by fwupow View Post
    That is an excellent rare DW-9500. I have one but it's the regular version with jelly resin strap of the same color. It's not a US Open of Surfing version.

You probably have that cardboard case to thank for the less than usual amount of yellowing.

Many of the jelly resin G-Shocks of the late 90s that were sold in Japan came in clear poly-carbonate cases as you may have seen with many a Raysman. Unfortunately those cases allow light to hit the watch which causes the discoloration (yellowing) of the resin parts. I have a DW-6900S from 1996 but it's the European version which apparently was sold in a cardboard box and somehow mine managed to live a life of concealment/storage inside that box, so that it came to me looking exactly like the CASIO stock photo, with no yellowing at all, but the strap is somewhat stiff.

I think that the US Open of Surfing is the only surfing event that G-Shock has managed to maintain a minor sponsorship status with. Lately I've seen Nixon watches as the "Timepiece Sponsor" at the Triple Crown of Surfing which I would guess prevents CASIO from releasing any TCOS G-Lides like they did until 2005? (can't remember the last one).

That is some nice information! Thanks! Learned something new today. =) Actually it wasn't inside the box at all. I asked for the box and I was surprised they had it stowed away nicely. The watch is somewhere at the lowest level of a display cabinet. I'm pretty sure it's there for years, just that the flourescent lighting probably didn't kill it..? I'm sure it's the UV that kills the jellies. =D
    My Current Beater:

I was just noticing that the CASIO Japan Perfect Search tool doesn't provide to search for "US Open of Surfing" and now that I think about it, it seems like all the US Open of Surfing G-Shocks I've ever seen have been USA releases.

Does anyone know of US Open of Surfing Gs being released in other markets besides USA?

"VT" in the model number is a common USA market code as well.

(edit) BTW I just discovered that an Ebay seller in the UK is offering a TCOS G-Shock he claims was one of just 250 that were made just for the competitors and not offered to the general public. Looks like a DWX-110PS from May 1999
    Last edited by fwupow; March 1st, 2014 at 19:44.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

Quote Originally Posted by fwupow View Post
    I was just noticing that the CASIO Japan Perfect Search tool doesn't provide to search for "US Open of Surfing" and now that I think about it, it seems like all the US Open of Surfing G-Shocks I've ever seen have been USA releases.

Does anyone know of US Open of Surfing Gs being released in other markets besides USA?

"VT" in the model number is a common USA market code as well.

(edit) BTW I just discovered that an Ebay seller in the UK is offering a TCOS G-Shock he claims was one of just 250 that were made just for the competitors and not offered to the general public.

What does TCOS means..?

and also,anybody has any idea what the numbers "B-T-ECO3-5" that looks like model number means..? It's on the cardboard panel where the watch lies on:

Last edited by Cognac0113; March 1st, 2014 at 19:49.
    My Current Beater:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information