Condensation in Mudmen G9000
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Condensation in Mudmen G9000

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Condensation in Mudmen G9000

In December 2010 I bought a Mudmen G9000-1V.

I wore it as a beater, for running and outdoor activities etc.

I never took it off at night or while showering, or bathing my children or swimming etc. The watch was always fine.

This November I went out running. It was about 5 deg. Celcsius, and foggy with low visibilty (so about 100% humitiy) and I was wearing the G on my wrist, but not under my windproof jacket.

After the run (45 mins up and down mountain forest tracks), on the inside of the watch there was condensation. :(

Name:  IMG_1829-2.JPG
Views: 986
Size:  396.6 KB

After about one hour, where I went home, took a shower (took the watch off this time...) etc, the condensation was gone.

I have since returned the watch to Amazon and got a full refund.

Am I right to assume that this was a dud? This should not normally happen to a G right? I have a more expensive G incoming and righ now I feel a bit hesitant to actually use it.

I'd be grateful for your input.
    Casio G-Shock Mudman "Men in Smoky Gray" GW-9300GY-1JF
    Casio MTD-1054D-1AVEF on Praetorian DiverTec Extrem Nato Strap

My photography blog: http://strongblackcoffee.net

Re: Condensation in Mudmen G9000

It's not supposed to happen, but it's not unheard of. It must have been a leaky seal or had some moisture left inside from when it was manufactured.

I have always wondered how Casio keeps moisture out of the case in the factory. Maybe they just control the humidity of the facility. Or maybe there's some automated part of the process. Maybe your Mudman was just assembled on a really humid day there or something else went wrong. I would be curious if anyone else had more insight on it.

Water/moisture infiltration for sure. Why? dont know. Pretty unusual for G shock. Id be confident on the incoming G shock being OK.

Cheers! Juice
    strongblackcoffee likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It happens. I have had 3-4 G's over the years with this issue. The fix is kind of easy but takes a bit pr patience. Some posit that the moisture is introduced into the case at the time of manufacture. Its not inconceivable.

I know you returned it. But if you ever want to try to "fix the issue" you just have to dry out the case interior. (Realize im talking about vapor in the watch, not a seal breach". Folks have had luck with taking off the case back and laying the open watch in a WARM (not hot) area. Often times on top of a computer or TV. The warm air dries out the watch an bingo, no more fog.

Also, one can open the watch and put it in a ziplock bag with some dry rice, charcoal, or desiccate packs).

I have even very gently warmed a watch with its back off with a hair dryer. be very careful, but again, all we want to do is warm up the watch enough to drive out the tiny bit of moisture in there. Just FYI of course. :)
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

The same thing happened to mine. It was about 2 celsius at the time, and condensation formed in the same way as your photo, but this was about two years ago, and the watch still works fine. The casio specs say it's designed to work at -20c.

I'm not sure how you'd `fix' it permanently, you'd need to somehow remove most of the moisture from the air inside the case. Unless you've got special equipment, If you opened the back I imagine you would just re-introduce air from your current environment, which may or may not be an improvement depending on temperature and humidity. Remember that warm air can hold more moisture than cold air;
    A useful rule of thumb is that the maximum absolute humidity doubles for every 20 F or 10 C increase in temperature. Thus, the relative humidity will drop by a factor of 2 for each 20 F or 10 C increase in temperature, assuming conservation of absolute moisture. For example, in the range of normal temperatures, air at 70 F or 20 C and 50% relative humidity will become saturated if cooled to 50F or 10 C,
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...mportant_facts
    So even at a dry 25% humidity at 20c (70F), the graph on that page says it will condense at 0c (32f).

Maybe put a dehumidifier in a walk-in refrigerator and open the case there? :)

You said you wore the watch in the shower and swimming pool. The soap from your shower and the chemicals in the pool can and will erode your gasket. It could have been faulty from the beginning, or it could have slowly eroded. I don't wear mine in the shower or pool and have never had this problem. Something to consider.

Thank you all for your input!

I won't be able to do anything about any moisture introduced when it was sealed.

@Shocker: I've read about this before and wondered... Maybe the beby bath or the shampoo from the shower got stuck between the resin and the case and worked its way in. No idea.

But I guess I will take the watch off for showering & in the pool :(

Quote Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
    You said you wore the watch in the shower and swimming pool. The soap from your shower and the chemicals in the pool can and will erode your gasket. It could have been faulty from the beginning, or it could have slowly eroded. I don't wear mine in the shower or pool and have never had this problem. Something to consider.
    No offense intended at all.. But I don't buy this. Unless there is a problem with the case back, the likelihood of a daily shower or two, or three damaging or "erroding" the gasket would be very low. Pool chemicals maybe a bit more, but I still wouldn't buy that one. I have G Shocks that have been through HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of showers and hand washings with no issues at all.

As for pool chemicals, as long as the watch is rinsed after it should be fine for years of service. I have a nike that was in a pool almost every day for about 40 minutes for a year. It was then worn in the shower after to clean it up. It looks like new and performs flawlessly to this day.

I just don't buy the whole "soap is a watch killer" argument.

Again, nothing personal... just my .02.

I wouldn't. You have the toughest watch made. Its 200M WR. Baby soap isnt going to hurt it. Ive been doing the G Shock thing for years. I think there are far more likely issues at play than eroded gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    No offense intended at all.. But I don't buy this. Unless there is a problem with the case back, the likelihood of a daily shower or two, or three damaging or "erroding" the gasket would be very low. Pool chemicals maybe a bit more, but I still wouldn't buy that one. I have G Shocks that have been through HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of showers and hand washings with no issues at all.

As for pool chemicals, as long as the watch is rinsed after it should be fine for years of service. I have a nike that was in a pool almost every day for about 40 minutes for a year. It was then worn in the shower after to clean it up. It looks like new and performs flawlessly to this day.

I just don't buy the whole "soap is a watch killer" argument.

Again, nothing personal... just my .02.
    See... I actually feel similar. When the rubber is chosen (we've come a long way since the 80s) for watch gaskets etc they'll test the resistance to the stuff I'd hope?

Pool chemicals.. I can count one one hand how often I've been in the pool with the watch. It was mostly showering (only shampoo) and baby bubble bath.

BUt unles someone comes up with some science either way I'm gonna be careful. I'll ask a watchmaker I know maybr he has a more informed opinion than me :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information