Could someone else with a Solar/Atomic Protrek / pathfinder test something for me?

Thread: Could someone else with a Solar/Atomic Protrek / pathfinder test something for me?

Picture Could someone else with a Solar/Atomic Protrek / pathfinder test something for me?

I have a PRW 1200 and I noticed something last night while stargazing. I noticed that the compass is VERY slow when the light is activated. I just confirmed it in a dark room. If im not using the light and I activate the compass the pointer will turn as I turn. But, when the light is on it doesn't move as smoothly...

can anyone else confirm this? If this is the case its a pretty major weakness in the design for night time use.
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Re: Could someone else with a Solar/Atomic Protrek / pathfinder test something for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    I have a PRW 1200 and I noticed something last night while stargazing. I noticed that the compass is VERY slow when the light is activated. I just confirmed it in a dark room. If im not using the light and I activate the compass the pointer will turn as I turn. But, when the light is on it doesn't move as smoothly...

can anyone else confirm this? If this is the case its a pretty major weakness in the design for night time use.
    Just tried it on my PRG90T, and yep, it's sluggish with the EL light on.

daniel
    Singapore

Re: Could someone else with a Solar/Atomic Protrek / pathfinder test something for me?

Thank you Daniel... I was hoping it wasnt just mine! Ive asked on a few of the forums.

I wonder if its just an issue with the solar models.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

That's a major bugger.

Cool Re: Could someone else with a Solar/Atomic Protrek / pathfinder test something for me?

From the 3043 Operation Guide: "Any ongoing direction measurement operation is paused temporarily while the watch is performing an alert operation (daily alarm, Hourly Time Signal, countdown timer alarm) or while illumination is turned on (by pressing L (light)). The measurement operation resumes for its remaining duration after the operation that caused it to pause is finished."

Sounds reasonable to me.
    Last edited by trozau; September 3rd, 2007 at 20:38.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    http://forums.collectors.com/attachments//trozau_ani.gif
    gold - the barbarous relic!

Does anybody really know what time it is?
    Robert Lamm of the group Chicago, 1969

Sure does make compass use REALLY hard at night.. Yeah, it resumes... jsut as the light goes out LOL...

Hi Jeff, you found an interesting thing that Casio does not state in the manual. I tested with my PAW-1200 and it happened the same.

My opinion are:
    1. Electromagnetic effect (light emits magnetic field)
    2. Casio does it by purpose to ensure the compass accuracy.

My 1300 does the same.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

yep, my pag80 is the same way.

Could make a night owl hike kinda interesting.

I have confirmed that but, I just use the compass to get the direction and after around 10 seconds it fixes the direction so the reading no longer moves with the movement of the watch. I just wait ten seconds and then switch the light on to see the reading. Yes, a little inefficient way to use it but, it still works fine.

Have you tried it? What are your observations?

Thread Information