A couple of questions about the GW-M5610
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Knives and Lint

Thread: A couple of questions about the GW-M5610

Confused A couple of questions about the GW-M5610

Hey WUS,

I have a couple of questions about what is probably my favorite watch.

1. How do I clean the band? I wear this watch pretty much everywhere; when I work, hike, go out at night, and so on. Needless to say, it has various scents, and some of them aren't great. How can I get rid of them?

2. What's the best way to get the RCVD feature to work? Sometimes it syncs at night and sometimes it doesn't. When I try to do it manually, it always fails no matter where I am. Is there a sure fire way to manually sync the watch?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Re: A couple of questions about the GW-M5610

1. For cleaning, your best bet is probably just soap an water. Maybe scrub it with a toothbrush if it needs a little extra. If you want to, you can occasionally remove the bezel and band, and clean off any gunk that may have migrated between the resin and case.

2. As for the sync, a lot of it depends on your location as well as the weather. Syncing manually is always more likely to work at night, but even then it is often difficult for many. One thing that seems to work the best is to wear the watch to bed at night. I personally don't like wearing a watch when I sleep, but my son wears his 24/7 and his syncs almost every night. It seems as if your body acts as a sort of antenna. Other members seem to confirm this theory. I leave mine out and sometimes they sync, sometimes they don't. Again, your mileage may vary depending on your location, I live on the east coast of Florida.

Yes clean your G with warm soap and gentle running water. Don't take the Kitchen faucet spray nozzle and have a go at it. I use an old soft bristle toothbrush on my dirty G's or those that I buy used. You never know where that watch was before you bought it.

Manual syncs, especially during the daytime hours, will typically fail due to atmospheric conditions and too much interference.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kolombo View Post
    1. Needless to say, it has various scents, and some of them aren't great. How can I get rid of them?
    Removing odors from G-Shock resin can be quite the challenge, which is why there are dozens of threads on the subject. https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8 and https://www.google.com/search?q=site...om%2Ff17+smell

Many of those threads suggest the usual "deodorizing tricks" like baking soda, coffee grounds, or activated charcoal, but apparently two of the best suggestions are "fresh air" and "sunshine" and just baking the smell out of the resin by putting it outdoors in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by kolombo View Post
    2. What's the best way to get the RCVD feature to work? Sometimes it syncs at night and sometimes it doesn't. When I try to do it manually, it always fails no matter where I am. Is there a sure fire way to manually sync the watch?
    As others have said, manual synchs during daylight hours usually fail for most people because the signal travels farther at night, which is why Casio designed these things to synch between midnight and 5 AM. All we know about your reception is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't -- have you tried putting it in different places in your home overnight to synch? Approximately where do you live, like "which state or province?" if you're in North America. If you're in Kansas, you should get a solid signal every night. If you're in New Hampshire, "sometimes" might be as good as you're going to get.

It's probably going to come down to "try different locations in your home and/or try wearing it when you sleep, since the body acts as or amplifies the antenna in the watch." There's no guaranteed way to manually synch the watch unless you're willing to move to Ft. Collins, Colorado, where the US transmitter is located.
    Last edited by Mike K; May 20th, 2015 at 06:43.

I found a remedy for a band that doesn't smell all that great: hand sanitizer. I rub some on my hands and wrists when my hands are dirty and it rubs off on the band of the watch and neutralizes any foul odors.

1. Wear it in the shower.
    2. Tin foil.

I've had mine for a couple of week and it has been solid. I place it on the window sill facing north. I live in a condo so I don't have much choice. It syncs at 12am most of the time.

It is also more consistent than my Citizen Radio Controlled watch which has synced 50-75% of the time during that same period. Before getting the g-shock, it almost never synced or I would have to go to extreme lengths (i.e. putting in on my balcony at 2am, or putting it on the window sill facing south at my gf's house in the boonies when I stayed over) that weren't really regular and defeated the purpose of having atomic time bc it would get inaccurate in between syncs.

Thread Information