Cracked LCD from... Sitting on a desk?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By StephenWatch
  • 1 Post By LankyOrangutan

Thread: Cracked LCD from... Sitting on a desk?

Confused Cracked LCD from... Sitting on a desk?

Alright, back-story. I was bored sometime during the weekend, and whilst looking at one of my negatives I had wondered if I could mess around with the polarising filter to mod it to positive. Before jumping in head first and buying the film, I decided to take it apart and reassemble it without going any work, just to make sure that I could actually take it apart and everything without breaking everything.

This went almost perfectly, except for the fact that I had lost a spring, the one that makes the buttons function (I also found out how it does that in the process, but that's a different story). Okay, slight bummer, I'll just open up another one that I don't use as often, and borrow said spring from that one now that I know where it is, and how absolutely minuscule it is. No problem there, the first one now works and the one I probably care least about needs a donor part. Off to everyone's favourite auction site I go, found a cheap donor pretty easily, and it arrived today.

Now firstly, the same part from the donor actually doesn't fit. Apparently these springs either vary in size between solar/non-solar models, or they decided to make them smaller in general at some point. *sigh* "Whatever, no big loss" I think, after putting my still non-functioning Mudman back together. Then when putting the donor back together I hear a tiny click, and see this:

Name:  crackedLcd.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  195.7 KB

I'll let you imagine my reaction.

Name:  crackedLcd_2.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  255.8 KB

And here's a closer look at the damage. Apparently at some point during this reassembly, there must've been something that caused a build-up of pressure on the left side for it to crack. Looking at the module, the side that cracked had popped open compared to the right side, as you can see below...

Name:  crackedLcd_3.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  162.6 KB
    Name:  crackedLcd_4.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  187.7 KB

At this point, it's a write off unless anyone has a spare LCD/module knocking about. I suppose my question to any modders would be, have any of you had such a thing happen after tinkering around with a module? I'm happy to accept it as my fault, but it just seems so strange because I've done it before, several times, with nothing going wrong. I didn't have to force it together in an awkward position before it cracked, it just happened about an hour after I had it all back together.

Re: Cracked LCD from... Sitting on a desk?

It's a brave man that admits his failures in public, I've done it a few times on here. Thank you for your courage. A salutary lesson to us all, and I feel your pain...
    RHJones likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Ya done goofed! :D

It's okay, I've broken a watch or two before, haha.

I've been close to this same predicament before, but during tightening it up, I could feel it wasn't closing properly like it should. So, undid everything and traced my steps. Could be a spring that fell out of place, you misaligned something, etc. I don't actually have this watch in particular so I can't give specifics, as I haven't opened any! :(

Definitely a bummer, but hey, you now have parts! ;)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TRSCP View Post
    Ya done goofed! :D

It's okay, I've broken a watch or two before, haha.

I've been close to this same predicament before, but during tightening it up, I could feel it wasn't closing properly like it should. So, undid everything and traced my steps. Could be a spring that fell out of place, you misaligned something, etc. I don't actually have this watch in particular so I can't give specifics, as I haven't opened any! :(

Definitely a bummer, but hey, you now have parts! ;)
    The module in this one was arranged very similarly to a solar atomic 5500/5600 one, at least as far as the metal frame having 4 clips and not going all the way around, the atomic receiver being in the same place, etc, if that'd help you diagnose it. But yeah, I figure that it must've been a displacement of something, but oh well. It was somewhat of an experimental watch anyways since I bought it used and didn't wear it a whole lot. The experiment may have ended in failure, but at least I learned something!

Quote Originally Posted by LankyOrangutan View Post
    The module in this one was arranged very similarly to a solar atomic 5500/5600 one, at least as far as the metal frame having 4 clips and not going all the way around, the atomic receiver being in the same place, etc, if that'd help you diagnose it. But yeah, I figure that it must've been a displacement of something, but oh well. It was somewhat of an experimental watch anyways since I bought it used and didn't wear it a whole lot. The experiment may have ended in failure, but at least I learned something!
    I'd have to see both XD

At any rate, SCIENCE!

Thread Information