Crazy prices on ebay...
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Crazy prices on ebay...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Crazy prices on ebay...

What's the deal with G-shock prices on ebay? It seems this has really started in the past year, maybe even as recent as the past 6 months. Sellers just choosing a random amount to charge for something. You have the same watch being sold for $150 by one seller, $250 by another seller, and $900 by a third. Some of the limited editions are being listed at well over $1000. Now, I can see if you have something truly rare AND collectible that it will be worth a lot, but some sellers seem to make up their numbers off the top of their heads, without any consideration for what the watch is actually likely to sell for on the current market. You can see by auction style listings that these watches do no get bid up THAT high. Do you think this crazy pricing is a temporary thing and sellers will come to their senses, or will they continue to throw out random high numbers when deciding what something is worth?
    derr1ck, Tsip85, anxiety and 1 others like this.

Re: Crazy prices on ebay...

I've been wondering the same. I saw an "older" 6900 on there the other day, nothing really special about it and not extremely rare. Just one that was released in 2004 or something, and the seller was asking $320 for it!! I have the same 6900 that I picked off Yahoo Japan for about $60.

Case in point: Mint G Shock Casio DW 6900 Limited Edition Metalic Light Blue Mens Maziora | eBay

But it's the collabs and limited editions that get me. People start listing them at outrageous prices sometimes before the watch is even released. Then they get snatched up by a few and become difficult to find...until the next "limited" piece drops. i got a really good laugh at those that over paid for four or five Maharishi's so they could turn around and sell them for $500 a piece...and now they're stuck with them. Can't even sell that one BELOW retail!!
    Last edited by Tsip85; November 21st, 2012 at 14:27.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

As long as there are buyers who are willing to pay for the asking price, this trend will continue. But eventually, those sellers will come to realize that the demand is shrinking due to more supplies from Casio at its full production capacity. Sure, the limited collaboration models are still limited. But now there are so many collabs coming out each month, buyers will just move on to grab other models that fit their budgets.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

The highest price for a GW-5000 is actually 800$ with shipping.

Almost 10x times the price of a regular 5600.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I think it'll stay the same because there are some people out there willing to pay these insane prices and enable these sellers to keep their asking prices sky high. I bought from 2 of the above members and you guys price your watches fair on the bay!

I see those quite worrying prices too. Also a lot of new Japanese sellers pop up and start selling brand new models for 150%+ of the retail prices in Japan, while the prices are actually 10% under retail price in the big Electronics shops. Looks like the G-Shocks are the new Twinkies, though I hope the bubble will burst soon or later. Just saw a Hikari Rail Star for $290. That's a crazy unreal price. I paid less than $140 for it, which would probably a much more reasonable price for it. Luckily I buy for about 10 years from trusted Japanese sellers, so I pay a fair price. I think the biggest problem is the enormous bunch of so G-Shock collectors shouting everywhere on internet "I need this, I need that". Well, I'm a collector, and there are models I want, but really, I don't die if I don't have it in my collection. These people draw the attention of people who want to make a fast "Twinkie" buck, buy up all stock they can find and and pull out your arm or leg. Seriously, these are just plastic watches and most limited editions can hardly be called limited. Simply, you should most of the time not pay more or much more than retail . If you do, you won't break that circle, but only increase the price of your next purchase. I hope the prices go up that high soon, that most "wannabe collectors" find another collecting hobby and the prices will be more normal/near or under retail.

Name:  Schermafbeelding 2012-11-21 om 15.18.14.png
Views: 826
Size:  544.0 KB

Just my $0.02

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox View Post
    I think it'll stay the same because there are some people out there willing to pay these insane prices and enable these sellers to keep their asking prices sky high. I bought from 2 of the above members and you guys price your watches fair on the bay!
    NOT ME!!! I wouldn't pay anymore than $110 for a Casio G-Shock. I paid UNDER $50 for all of my G-Shocks. I'm glad that I bought all mine before the flood happened in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox View Post
    +1000
    I,m scouting for a bargain or parts for a project and I am going to give up soon as I dont see the point anymore. Even the prices for modules and bits are ridiculous...
    rocky likes this.
    Casio GA110BR-5
    Casio DW-003-8 Modified
    Casio GWX8900B-7
    Storm Lucre
    Lotus Code 15502/7
    Rolex Daytona (Replica)

Banned

That's because the people who are selling modules are ridiculous. I've also noticed that sellers are asking ridiculous prices for the vintage Seiko LCD's on Ebay.
    Last edited by Tick Toc; November 21st, 2012 at 15:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    I hope the prices go up that high soon, that most "wannabe collectors" find another collecting hobby and the prices will be more normal/near or under retail.

I suppose I'll be one of those wannabe collectors and find a cheaper hobby like maybe twinky collecting...Is that screenshot for real???
    Casio GA110BR-5
    Casio DW-003-8 Modified
    Casio GWX8900B-7
    Storm Lucre
    Lotus Code 15502/7
    Rolex Daytona (Replica)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information