Crooked Frogman Module

Thread: Crooked Frogman Module

Crooked Frogman Module

Hey, I have noticed a GW-200 frogman I own has a slightly crooked display... and it's a little annoying. It's not terrible, but it can bee seen easily in test mode. Is this normal, maybe it's normal with screwback g-shocks? Can this twist of the module develop if the watch is knocked hard? To my knowledge the watch has never been opened since it left Casi originally. TIA for any input.
    Last edited by rogerlike; March 4th, 2011 at 20:41.

Re: Crooked Frogman Module

I had a master blue frog that was new in box about 3 years ago. It too was crooked. It really bothered me. Flipped it withing a week. I wasn't about to open it and screw with it. Normal? Yes. Common? Don't think so. At least not mathematically. Mike

Common problem with many G's imo - heaps of pictures on here with lopsided modules.
    Current watches:

Casio GW-2000B
    Casio G-7710
    Rolex Explorer

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My MIRB is slightly crooked, too. Now I don't if it came like that or took one too many knocks (I did keep it on a very high window ledge and it fell more than a few times), but it took a while for me to notice it. The thing is, once you see it, you can't unsee it.

At the end of the day, it's designed to have a floating module for the shock resistance, so it's a feature rather than a flaw - it's just annoying to look at...

Quote Originally Posted by rogerlike View Post
    Hey, I have noticed a GW-200 frogman I own has a slightly crooked display... and it's a little annoying. It's not terrible, but it can bee seen easily in test mode. Is this normal, maybe it's normal with screwback g-shocks? Can this twist of the module develop if the watch is knocked hard? To my knowledge the watch has never been opened since it left Casi originally. TIA for any input.
    It's normal, but for some models only.

Certain models of G-Shock has a plastic tab on the module to guide the module when putting in the case, and once it's seated in place it will never turn. I've seen it on some MRGs and Baby-Gs. And I'm referring to modules that are circular in shape only. Modules that are oddly-shaped has less tendency to turn. I've also seen at least one type of module that is 'locked' to the case when installed. That type will never twist.

It depends on many factors actually, like how tightly it is seated in the case (some modules are more loose than others), design of the module, etc.

Bottom line... accept it for what (or how) it is. I'm learning to.
    When the Going Gets Tough... Get a G-Shock!

Here's a little update:

So the Frog got adjusted. The module can freely turn a little inside the case, with reasonable resistance. The module's alignment is not altered by resealing the screwback, it simply needs to be put in straight. I'm a little surprised at Casio's QC here since they take the time to test each Frog individually anyway. Properly locating the module is not time consuming!

Another couple of potentially useful observations from the Frog disassembly:

There are no internal springs to lose; the module has a flat-spring tabs that make contact with the screwback and beeper.

For those interested in tuning the rate, the module does have a capacitor trimmer for altering the crystal's parallel capacitative load: located top-left on the rear of the module. Turning anticlockwise slows the module; clockwise speeds it (increases and decreases capacitance respectively). These directions are probably the same for other unadjusted modules but not necessarily, due to the construction of capacitor trimmers.

Just to clarify, this information regards the 2422 module used in the 200 series Frogmans. Hmm Frogmen or Frogmans? Always more questions...
    Last edited by rogerlike; March 11th, 2011 at 02:17.

Great. Hopefully it won't get tilted when you push the buttons. It happens sometimes.

I had a Frog once and found that it is a well-constructed watch overall. Enjoy.
    When the Going Gets Tough... Get a G-Shock!

Quote Originally Posted by Cockpit View Post
    Great. Hopefully it won't get tilted when you push the buttons. It happens sometimes.

I had a Frog once and found that it is a well-constructed watch overall. Enjoy.
    Thanks :) They are indeed very well constructed. I'm loving this huge chunk of titanium.

Thread Information