Custom pieced together G-Shock?? Is this a possibility?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By XxMACCAxX

Thread: Custom pieced together G-Shock?? Is this a possibility?

Lightbulb Custom pieced together G-Shock?? Is this a possibility?

Hello guys-
    I have decided that I would like to create...well, build a custom watch with a few different g-shocks together. However, before I jump into attempting this I'd like to get sound feedback as to if this could really work.

My goal is to build a purely military oriented watch that I believe is absolutely essential to have with the features from several watches. My goal is to create a custom piece, test it out in the field (i.e. SERE, swim and airborne). Here is what I've comprised of to meet these demanding scenarios and would like to know if this "build" could really work.

1. Frogman Titanium shell/casing - titanium preferred due to some weight savings and 200m water resistance
    2. Mudman 9300- the "brain"/features. compass, temp, moon graph, etc...
    3. Backlight color- Red or Red/orange back illumination
    4. Standard display, no reversed/negative display features.

So could I get a particular Frogman casing and incorporate the Mudman 9300 features inside? Thanks all in advance and I really hope to start this build asap.

SlowTwitch
    -Army Strong-

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Re: Custom pieced together G-Shock?? Is this a possibility?

Unfortunately, modules are seldom compatible across multiple models of different designations. For instance, you can't easily fit a Mudman module into a Frogman. One key reason why: The illumination button. The Mudman has a 5th button below the dial to activate the EL backlight, but the Frogman uses a side button.

There are some models that use the same module (for example the 1545 is used with dozens of DW-56xx variants). Some modules have three versions: regular, solar, and solar/atomic; these are usually interchangeable, such as with the G-2300/G-2310/GW-2310. That's because they all use the same casing design.

CASIO seems to intentionally introduce incompatibility between very different models, perhaps to discourage this kind of swapping.

Still... you might be able to shimmy a Mudman module into a Frogman (if it's loose, fabricate some rubberized bracers on the sides and front, to help get button positions). To solve the illumination problem, you could rig up a special spring loaded wire similar to a remote corded camera shutter control, so that when you press a button it depresses the hidden 5th button for the light. But that may be more trouble than it is worth.

Until they make a titanium Mudman (which probably won't happen until they retire the Gulfman), your choices really come down to two models: A Frogman or a Mudman.

I'd say go with the Mudman. The titanium casing is really not essential. And you can modify the LCD so that you can achieve a reddish backlight. Plus, there's plenty of muted/stealth bezels/bands to choose from to make it as stealthy as you wish.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Just buy a new 9300 mudman, has 200m water resistance and compass etc. The stainless/titanium case would be nice but isn't absolutely necessary, And the 9300 men in military colours is about as close to my perfect military watch that anyone makes at the moment, I used one of the old mudman when I was in the military and it took everything I threw at it and them some and the 9300 would be my choice if I was going back in again. Get one and test it out in every way possible i'm sure you'll be more than happy.

Name:  DSC_1591.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  256.7 KB
    xevious and ggyy1276 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I currently have a 9300GY-1JF and love it. Just want to bulk it up some more and make a custom. I already want to take the negative display and swap it with a traditional display but I cant fathom cracking open a nearly $500 watch. And I assume MACCA you will be supporting Macca at this years Iron Man World Championship Hawaii? He pushes me all the time in my PT sessions

Love watching the Kona championship although it's not televised here in Aus all the time so normally have to watch it live on their website. As for supporting Macca I do but i'm a bit of a craig alexander fan too he's been so dominant over the last few years. I met him at the Noosa Triathlon a while back, he's a machine.

As much as i like modding (and modded) watches, i say this mod is biting more than one can chew unless you have the machine work and knowledge to work on Titanium of such a small size and high precision and microelectronics on the other hand. YouŽd need a sensor opening for the Mudmans sensors and relocate buttons at least.
    All this might be possible, but the benefit over a standard Mudman is so small that it will be not worth the trouble fro a user - if you want to do something the like to prove it can be done, have a go, we eill support wherever we can.

My approach would be (as machining is necessary anyways) to recreate the Mudmans resin case in titanium on a CAD mill and use ascrewback design. Should be easier than modifying the Frogman case. You could use a Casio replacement screwback to save the hassle of producing it. The TI case could be done via 3D scanning of the Resin case, having the Computer built a wireframe model out of it, check and modify it to your needs and have it milled then.
    As for milling: Medical or dental Laboratories can sometimes do amazing millwork in small quantities on their machines.

If you decide to go an easier route: Changing the backlight colour is not that hard.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/dw-...od-406353.html

You could do that with nearly any digital Module.

And for field use, IŽd use a simple, basic G-Shock. the A/B/C sensor functions may be nice, but youŽll get proper equipment for those tasks. And on those courses, i read, you are not allowed to take a compass, are you? If you are allowed, IŽd take a DW 9052 (basic functions and a 5th light button) or a DW 5600, if you are a big guy maybe a 6900, more bulk that that will get in the way sooner or later and use a slide on or clip on wristband compass as a backup.

those watches will do anything you need and everything else is just icing on the cake.

EDIT: But, please do a frog/mudman hybrid or something along those lines with many pics!

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    titanium Mudman
    Mmmm... Just seeing those two words together...

Thread Information