Customs when buying from Chino

Thread: Customs when buying from Chino

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Customs when buying from Chino

Hi all,

I am considering buying a watch from Chino to be delivered where I live (UK) and wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what customs should I expect to pay.

At the moment the UK taxes for items purchased outside the EU are based on a 17.5% (as far as I know), but I wondered if, with a watch, they will apply customs to bring the price up to the watch MSRP price in the UK?

Is there any way of avoiding this i.e. asking Chino to send me the watch by EMS instead of Fedex/USPS?

Could you share your experiences? :thanks
    Last edited by Txemizo; August 28th, 2010 at 12:29. Reason: Extra line
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

Re: Customs when buying from Chino

Sometimes you get hit, sometimes not. And I think the price is based on what you paid, not what the UK list is.

Have a nose around here.... New Duty & VAT Calculation | The Duty Calculator
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Txemizo View Post
    Hi all,

I am considering buying a watch from Chino to be delivered where I live (UK) and wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what customs should I expect to pay.

At the moment the UK taxes for items purchased outside the EU are based on a 17.5% (as far as I know), but I wondered if, with a watch, they will apply customs to bring the price up to the watch MSRP price in the UK?

Is there any way of avoiding this i.e. asking Chino to send me the watch by EMS instead of Fedex/USPS?

Could you share your experiences? :thanks
    You will have to pay VAT if the parcel is worth more than about $30 or $60 dollrs if marked as a gift.

If the item is worth more than about $220 it will be consisdered for custom duty as well. On top of this you have to pay the Royal Mail a handling fee of about $22.

This adds up to a considerable hike to the cost of your purchase.

To avoid this you can ask the sender to mark parcel as worth less than $30 and then it just comes to you with no extra charges at all.

This is what I do when I am getting goods from abroad. It has never failed me. Conversely when the parcel is marked with the full value I have always been hit with the charges.

What usually happens is that you get a letter from the Royal Mail asking you to pay the fees and VAT etc (various methods) and then they will deliver. If you fail to pay within about 4 weeks they return the goods to the sender.

There was one occasion where they actually delivered the parcel before they sent me the letter asking for £66 in charges again with the usual threat that they would send the parcel back to the sender if payment was not made! I ignored the letter and never heard anything about it again.

So try to get the declared value as less than $30. However some senders refuse to do so and you then have to weigh up whether it is worth the extra costs.

Mitch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Further to my earlier reply I am currently tracking a parcel sent by EMS from Japan. The parcel contains items worth more than $800 but it is marked as $30. I can just see with the online tracker that it has been cleared by Parcelforce for delivery and that means no charges!

Mitch

Lucky sod. Although, of course, you realise that as the receiving party you remain under a legal obligation to report your parcel to HMRC and pay the VAT/duty anyway. Which we all do, all the time.

Every watch I've received from Japan, whether from Chino, Higuchi or Seiya, has always been hit for VAT on the way in. Cheap watches from Hong Kong might be ignored, but the Customs officers pay far too much attention to anything from Japan IME.
    Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Quote Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
    Lucky sod. Although, of course, you realise that as the receiving party you remain under a legal obligation to report your parcel to HMRC and pay the VAT/duty anyway. Which we all do, all the time.
    Yes I must put it on my 'to do list'.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    Yes I must put it on my 'to do list'.

Mitch
    Ha! Same.

Thank you for all you replies. Do you think Chino will accept declaring the item for $30? Anyone has tried this?

I have dealt with Seiya in the past, and I was stung by taxes as we all do, I didn't want to ask him to declare it for less as the watch wasn't that expensive, but in this case Chino is the best deal I have found and the watch goes for well over $300!

EDIT: I have contacted Chino about this, however, after sending my email to them I found this statement "Chino watch can not underestimate its value in any reason". But if anyone has had a different experience or alternative routes to lower the costs (is Royal Mail cheaper than UPS/Fedex?) I would be glad to listen to it!
    Last edited by Txemizo; August 28th, 2010 at 14:14.
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

Just got a GW 5000 from Chino 2 weeks ago and those suckers at customs charged me 73,00 freaking Euro on it.18 of wich went to Fedex !!!!!

I would never ask a seller to specify a lower value. If they do, and the parcel is lost, it is likely (depending on local carrier procedures) that they will only be insured to the value they stated. That's asking them to take too big a risk, in my view.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information