"Dead Stock" Giez pickup gamble
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: "Dead Stock" Giez pickup gamble

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

"Dead Stock" Giez pickup gamble

Well!

I have a habit of losing out on Ebay auctions for Giez G's. So when I put on a max bid a few days ago I obviously didn't expect to win.

This one is in the States, so I'm also expecting import charges into the UK, but maybe it will slip through, (yeah, right!).

The seller, (Vintage Watch Hunter if anyone's heard of them?), had it listed as: "dead stock so never sold or worn".

Looking at the photos it certainly looks new, just some box scuffs.

The reason I threw down a bid was because this one is a collab model, a GS-500MG-8BT from Jan 1999, in collaboration with the MG Car Club, and importantly has the original boxes.

The gamble? It was also listed as non operational, needing repair. I took the bet anyway as it's far too nice to not give it a go at least! Also the price I won it at has certainly made it a worthwhile gamble, US$37.00/£30!!

Obviously there's shipping on top, but I don't usually count that in my mind when I win/buy as it's incidental I think.

So here are the seller's photos, it's a lovely looking thing! The face is actually a deep red, just about shows in the picture. He didn't have a picture of the backplate so the one I've included is from Google Images.

Just got to wait for USPS 1st Class International now, oh, and most likely customs this side. See you as soon as I can with it!!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

Re: "Dead Stock" Giez pickup gamble

Nice one! Hopefully you'll be able to get it running.
    sodamonkey likes this.

That’s a great score! Congratulations!
    sodamonkey likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It should be Miyota so no problem running it again.
    sodamonkey and JustAbe like this.
    It should be special!

nice win, even if it is not running, you can always wear it on your right hand, and a dw5600 on the left to read time

jk

looks like it won't have any problems operating again, it is Gshock after all
    sodamonkey and Motorcycle Man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by g-fob2 View Post
    looks like it won't have any problems operating again, it is Gshock after all
    Hopefully, *crosses fingers*

I have bought used, non working analog G's/Casio's before that have turned out to not run at all, obviously with some sort of circuitry problem.

Some I've got going in the end with brute force by actually smacking them, (cushioned against physical damage), onto a hard surface

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Nice buy

I don't know how long it takes to get to the UK from the US but It only seems to take about a week and a couple of days when I ship items first class to a friend in Austria

I have dealt with this seller as he is the only game in town if you want a cheap Japan market watch for the cool Kanji date wheel. I have not had an issue with his items, all of them were as described.

I will say this, if you are hoping that the seller just did not want to put a battery in the watch so he is listed it as for repair and that it just needs a new battery it might be time to dispel that hope. This seller tests his watches and puts new batteries in them. especially a Giez (which are popular watch that people now want) Odds are that he tried a new battery and the watch did not run.

I hope it works out for you and even not running the watch is a collectors item and a must for MG fans

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    Nice buy

I don't know how long it takes to get to the UK from the US but It only seems to take about a week and a couple of days when I ship items first class to a friend in Austria

I have dealt with this seller as he is the only game in town if you want a cheap Japan market watch for the cool Kanji date wheel. I have not had an issue with his items, all of them were as described.

I will say this, if you are hoping that the seller just did not want to put a battery in the watch so he is listed it as for repair and that it just needs a new battery it might be time to dispel that hope. This seller tests his watches and puts new batteries in them. especially a Giez (which are popular watch that people now want) Odds are that he tried a new battery and the watch did not run.

I hope it works out for you and even not running the watch is a collectors item and a must for MG fans
    Thanks for the detailed reply!

I kind of figured he wouldn't list it as non running if not tested, but for the state of the watch and the honestly silly price I got it for even that's worth a shot!

Nice score there not seen one of these for a while, and never in the original box, i have always seen thembwithout the box so very nice. At least if you dont like it, there is always possibly the chance of selling to an MG collector as they are a big thing over here, so it could easily bump the price up in the right market.

But i know the seller your on about he also has a DW6900H-4 but i'm pretty certain it's not all original as he says it is! Because the one he has says illuminator instead of fox fire and being as every model i have seen and also purchased say fox fire, this makes me suspicious.

That will have been an amazing pickup if the watch works, I suspect it won't, these type of early G Shock analogues are known for just failing. I think trying to get someone to fix it would cost far more that the watch is worth. I don't know why they just stop working, perhaps the works get gummed up over time or the pinion wears and there isn't enough current to move the hands. The light tends to still work even if the hands don't, so the module is alive.

I don't know of anyone who has had the watch stripped to find the cause, l suspect it is more likely to be mechanical than electrical. I did have one where you could see the second hand pulsing slightly but not sufficiently to actually move it, it suggests there is some friction in the movement that the tiny power generated in a quartz watch can not overcome.

Pity really, as these are nice watches with a bit of quality about them. I have a couple of these Geiz GS-500's.

Mitch
    $teve likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information