Dear Casio: (contract/petition)

Thread: Dear Casio: (contract/petition)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Dear Casio: (contract/petition)

Dear Casio,

I am really enjoying my dw-6900, thank you. I am fast becoming a proper collector and find myself looking at different models almost every day. I appreciate the wonderful variety that you have developed throughout your model line; however, there is one small, but universal, problem that I would like to bring to your attention - namely the flat cover on the back of your watches. I realize that this plate has always done a decent job of protecting the module inside, and the four screw design probably saves on production costs; however, it makes your watches look cheap and feel cheap. I think that a quality watch should have a real screw back just like other real watches do. I understand that there are probably a lot of factors that you need to consider before you make a drastic change like this, so to give you some peace of mind, I am entering into the following -legally binding - contract:

Regardless of my current financial situation, I promise to immediately purchase a gw-9000, gw-9100, gw-5600, and a paw-1300 pathfinder if you will equip these quality watches with the real screw back case that they deserve.

I eagerly await your reply.

Sincerely,

Chad

(Feel free to add your own clauses to the contract )

Re: Dear Casio: (contract/petition)

That should shake them up! How about some better retail availability. I can't really find a good selection locally. I was "Shocked" (pun intended) when I had seen a couple of G-lides at my local JC Penney.

does it really matter that much about the back of a watch? the only thing that sees it is ones wrist! all the watches i have are all secured by four screws, so i assumed that was a 'screwback', which is clearly isnt

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: Dear Casio: (contract/petition)

“You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.”
    Last edited by trozau; September 24th, 2007 at 03:46.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    http://forums.collectors.com/attachments//trozau_ani.gif
    gold - the barbarous relic!

Does anybody really know what time it is?
    Robert Lamm of the group Chicago, 1969

Quote Originally Posted by trozau View Post
    “You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.”
    Great tune! Got that one rolling around in my head now.

Retired and living in the mountains of Northeast Pennsylvania

I'm wondering how ANY metal case back (which can't be seen while the watch is being worn anyway) could possibly make a plastic/resin-coated watch look "cheap" or cheaper.

Here's the G-Shock I wore today. The fact is, it wouldn't look any different on my wrist if it had a diamond-encrusted, solid gold case back.
    Last edited by XTrooper; September 24th, 2007 at 04:17.
    Steve

My favorite diver? Jessica Alba, of course!

You don't know how it could make the watch look cheaper????

Here is the back of the Gulfman, titanium and decorated, probably the nicest example of its style:

http://watch-tanaka3.sub.jp/casio/GW...F/P1170505.JPG

But it still doesn't hold a candle to the back of this Frog in terms of quality, class, and peace-of-mind toughness:

http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/image...1e53969162.jpg

I get what you guys are trying to say though . A casual observer couldn't tell what the back looked like if it was on your wrist. BUT... I'm not really worried about what an observer thinks either way. When I buy a watch there is only one person that I am worried about pleasing - me. Even though it might "look the same from a certain angle" it isn't the same. I don't think that a plate held by four screws in plastic will ever be as durable as a metal on metal threaded case back.
    I love polishing the underside of my Mako... it looks pretty. And I can feel it when I wear it... and it feels gooooooooood .

- Chad
    Last edited by ninjafish; September 24th, 2007 at 05:15.

Dang it, I bet Casio was just about to change their production process... but now they will probably just keep going as they were because the out-of-sight-out-of-mind crowd is happy.

- Chad

I'm with you ninjafish

I prefer the screwbacks for one simple reason : I prefer the look and feel.

Something else worth considering; why don't other brands and styles of watches have predominately 'plate' backs if they're so good ? Admittedly, Casio tend to do things their own way but could you imagine plate backs becoming the standard for mechanical or quartz analogue watches ?

cheers,

Amen to that!! I can't see platebacks taking over.

I am just going to play devil's advocate here for a bit and list the only three 'advantages' I can see to it.

#1. They are cheaper, this means more of a profit for Casio. I'm sure that at least some of these savings are passed on to the consumer, so yes, we probably do pay less for our watches as a result.

#2. Lighter than screwbacks - BUT - has that the few grams difference ever prevented anyone from being able to raise their arm to check the time? Especially considering the type of athletic men and women who wear g-shocks in the first place?

#3. Screw backs require a special wrench to open, whereas I can change a battery on my plateback using the same little screwdriver that I use to open the battery compartment on my son's Fisher Price toy piano. For some people that might be an advantage to platebacks... but to me it is one more strike against them. I mean, it should not be secured by the same method as a Fisher Price toy .
    Granted, I will have to get the proper tool if I want to change the battery myself... but if that's what it takes to open and close the vault... great! With my plateback, I am already worried about whether or not my watch is going to be waterproof after my first battery change.

I understand that an inexpensive, disposable watch fills a vital niche... and maybe that's what g-shock is all about and I am the one who is out of line. But I would just like the option to purchase my favorite G in a higher-quality package so that it will last longer and so that I will appreciate it even more during the time that it does last.
    Kind of like they did with the Marlin 25 years ago...
    Quality is the reason why those things are still 'ticking' today. And quality is also the reason why people still want them.

- Chad

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information