Decisions: Gulfman or Mudman

Thread: Decisions: Gulfman or Mudman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Decisions: Gulfman or Mudman

I know these threads come up from time to time, and believe me, I have read through them, but I feel like I need some more opinions about the atomic/solar variants of these particular watches.

I've already owned a Riseman, and it was an excellent watch. I personally had no use for the sensor functions, but otherwise I loved it. Time has passed and I'm missing having an atomic/solar again. I'm currently considering between the Gulfman or Mudman, of course, with solar/atomic functionality.

Honestly, the extra functionality on the watches is of little concern to me. I have no use for tides or special stopwatch functions, but I do care about the quality and durability of the products. I see that each has their own calling. The Gulfman, being made of rust-resistant titanium, which is slightly lighter, and the Mudman, being sealed off from external particulates to yield extreme durability.

With that in mind, I can't really see me being in a situation currently where either of these special features would make or break the future of the watch for me, but with that said, I love the fact that they have them! Of course, I'm sure as soon as I buy one of them, I'll fall off a cliff into quicksand or land in a murky pool of sea salt, and I'll be wearing the watch designed for the opposite!

So then we're on to beauty, lines, form and the like. I think they're both magnificent for the type of watches they are. I like the honeycomb solar design on the Mudman, and the slightly functional red "G" logo in the center. On the Gulfman, I like the exposed metal showing and the slightly bluish tones to the display.

In the end, which do you prefer out of the two, and which gives you more for your money in terms of the quality and materials of the watch? Which would you rather wear as a daily watch to all places, being business or pleasure?

Of course, please add your reasons why as well.

Thanks again for reading through yet another thread of this type. I hope I'll be able to make a decision in the near future based on your responses and expertise! :)

Re: Decisions: Gulfman or Mudman

Ultimately, it comes down to taste. Personally, I find the Gulfman to be one of the best looking G-shocks, and the Mudman to be one of the worst. Then again, there are probably people on here who have the exact opposite view.

As for quality of the materials, I believe they are similar.

Hi Xiton - I already have the Mudman G9000A-1, and also had the non solar/atomic version G9000-1V which I later sold. They are really solidly built, the world time function of the A-1 came in handy a couple of times on our overseas trips. The only catch is the underside of the Mudman - it has knuckle like traction features that I would guess increase its hold on your wrist during well 'muddy' occasions lol. Its either you like it, or hate it. I didn't like it at first, this is why I sold off my 1-V, but the WIS in me wanted it badly so I bought a A-1. I have gotten used to it after our trips abroad.

I still don't have the Gulfman - so that is my next target
    seiko · orient · citizen · casio · timex · rolex · omega · victorinox · apple watch

Children need your help. Please share your blessings...
    GiveDirect -
    https://www.givedirectly.org/
    UNICEF - http://
    www.unicefusa.org
    CARITAS -
    http://www.caritas.org/
    NO KID HUNGRY -
    http://www.nokidhungry.org/
    Save The Children - http://www.savethechildren.org/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker885 View Post
    The only catch is the underside of the Mudman - it has knuckle like traction features that I would guess increase its hold on your wrist during well 'muddy' occasions lol.
    You gave me visions of women wrestling in mud, one wearing the Mudman and one without. The woman with the Mudman had no worry about her watch, while the woman losing the match kept having it fall off her wrist during their intense battle.

I had this exact same choice to make last week, Gulfman or Mudman.

Corrosion resistance is irrelevant to me, I used a standard DW-6600 for over 100 scuba dives in the sea without any hint of corrosion, so IMO any G-Shock will be fine. In the end the choice came down to two factors for me.

1. I like the big light button on the Mudman, I find it incredibly useful if I'm diving, wearing gloves outdoors, or even just fumbling to turn the alarm off on the morning.
    2. I think the screen of the Mudman is less cluttered and more sensibly layed out, the GW-9010 model anyway. I just think it looks clearer.

So for those reasons I ordered the Mudman, it should be with me any day now.

I'd like some pics to be sure which ones you're referring to.

The new atomic Gulfman is this one:

I liked my Gulfman 9100 as a module, but the watch itself seemed to fit me badly. It's all personal preference, but for me it rested further around my wrist than I wanted, so it wasn't as comfortable to turn my wrist an extra 10 degrees when I wanted to check the time. I sold it.

I tried the Mudmen, but the buttons were just too hard to press for me. It's not a gradual difference, as if all Gs are a little different; Mudmen buttons are at least twice as hard to press than the next hardest G.

So of this type of watch, at this price level, I much prefer the GW-6900. It is comfortable, has a good module, looks good in a monochrome/understated sort of way, and has the 5th/light button. I'd go for that above either you initially asked about.

The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    Ultimately, it comes down to taste. Personally, I find the Gulfman to be one of the best looking G-shocks, and the Mudman to be one of the worst. Then again, there are probably people on here who have the exact opposite view.

As for quality of the materials, I believe they are similar.
    Can't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker885 View Post
    Hi Xiton - I already have the Mudman G9000A-1, and also had the non solar/atomic version G9000-1V which I later sold. They are really solidly built, the world time function of the A-1 came in handy a couple of times on our overseas trips.
    The atomic/solar Gulfman also has the world time function

mudman

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    I'd like some pics to be sure which ones you're referring to.

The new atomic Gulfman is this one:

Wow, I really like that design. What is the model number? I wasn't able to find that on Casio's sites. Do you happen to have a pic of the newest Mudman as well?
    Last edited by xiton; January 9th, 2011 at 05:15.

i own a Mudman and i must say it is a very rugged yet practical watch, it doesnt have all of the oohs and ahhs as the Rise, Frog or Gulf but it does have one really nice function, you can set the lume to automatically light up when you lift and turn your wrist to a normal watch reading position, that was the deciding factor for me since i didn't need all the other fancy schmancy functions :)

also as Maine has mentioned the buttons are hard as hell to push but once i set my alarms and dates and such i dont really have need to touch them, i also own the 6900 which u may want to consider.
    LIVE - LEARN - LAUGH - LOVE

Aristo 3H80 Pilot
    Maratac Pilot Automatic
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko "BFS" SNKF11K1
    Citizen BJ 8050-80E Ecozilla
    Citizen
    BJ2115-07E
    Citizen BJ 7000 Nighthawk
    Citizen Caliber 9000 Minute Repeater (for sale send me a PM)
    Getat Luminor Homage
    Alpha USA Radiomir Chronograph Homage
    Vostok Amphibia am420334
    Orient 2ER00002D
    Orient Vintage 3 Star Diver w/ Custom sandblasted finish
    Sea-Gull D219.360 55th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Invicta 8926OB Pro Diver
    ESQ Antero
    ESQ Submariner
    G-Shock Mudman G9000MX-2V
    G-Shock GW-6900

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast