Define "Dress Watch"
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Define "Dress Watch"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question Define "Dress Watch"

What are the required characteristics for a watch to be a true dress watch?
    "I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan."

Re: Define "Dress Watch"

Slim, analogue, simple dial, no date, metal case, leather strap, 'modest' dial diameter.

Although 'no date' and 'leather strap' are not absolutely essential.

Mechanical or quartz would be fine in my view, but some might be more restrictive.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Cool Re: Define "Dress Watch"

One thing that is important is to differentiate between "Good Looking" and "Dressy". A watch can be good or even great looking and still not be dressy.

Dressy has nothing to do with good looks vs bad looks. It simply is a term used to describe a piece (most often a watch) that do not stick out as beeing a piece of technology on your body. It simply means it blend in within the organic form factor that is our body and clothes. The term is most often used when one is wearing "fine clothing", in terms of guys when wearing a suite.

A Dressy watch should match your suite. This typically meaning a watch with a leather band that matches your belt and shoes color. The body of the watch should be subdued and not to large preferably silver,gold or black frame. The dial on the watch must be simple and clean, no advanced chronos and stuff like that. A date window is pushing it but considered acceptable. Very clean face preferably black,white, silver or gold colored.

Simply put it, the watch should just come off as beeing a natural part of your clothing and not stick out as an attraction in itself.

Basically it should be boring hehe
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One that complements one's dress.

Strictly speaking in an old fashioned kind of way :

1) Slim and small size.
    2) Analogue.
    3) No complications at all, no chrono etc.
    4) Leather strap which matches belt which matches shoes, or pocket watch on a fob.
    5) Gold/other precious metal case.

That's if you care about such things.

Ironically, when wearing black tie, which is a 'dress suit' obviously, you technically shouldn't wear a wrist watch at all.

A dress watch doesn't have to match your belt or shoes. If it did it could be a dress watch on one day and not another. Which would be silly...

A dress watch is a dress watch when it's still in the shop window and hasn't been matched with anything.

We've also been asked to define 'dress' not 'dressy'. The words don't have quite the same meaning.
    navjing0614 likes this.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

...which raises the question what an undress watch would look like....

as for a "dress" watch: probably something that has to be defined individually from person to person. since i run around in black, tactical looking clothes most of the time, pretty much any of my (black) g-shocks can be considered "dress" watch. ironically those which would be usually be considered more "dressy" (my two G-7xx models for instance) don't match the word "dress" watch so ideal in my case...

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Metal case.
    The G-Shocks with more metal on the case are obviously more dressy. The all metal ones (case and band) being the most dressy.

But in general I would define it as a gold cased watch with dark leather band.
    ShockMister

I think generally the characteristics are a thin case, few/no complications, uncluttered dial, minimalist hands and indices. That being said, it's such a vague term that it can be anything you want, and there are definitely watches that seem to fall into multiple categories. Just off the top of my head, the Seiko White/Black Knight could be a perfectly suitable dressy watch (especially on a leather strap) but it is a fully capable diver's watch as well.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

For me it's three main things:
    • A dress watch must cleanly fit beneath a buttoned dress shirt sleeve. This relates mostly to case diameter ~< 40 mm and case thickness ~< 12 mm. These sizes constraints can differ from person to person depending on wrist size.
    • I personally prefer simpler elegant analog faces, but this does not exclude some well designed complications
    • A dark valued strap or an elegantly proportioned bracelet
    It's mostly larger, thicker watches with bolder proportioned features that I consider more "sport" watches. Issues around color and other features are matter of personal taste. My personal preference is for understated elegance, others may like a different aesthetic.

Bob
    __________________________________________________ __________________

AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information