Did anyone scratch your DLC coated G-Shock yet?

Thread: Did anyone scratch your DLC coated G-Shock yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Did anyone scratch your DLC coated G-Shock yet?

I'm just curious about how scratch resistant these are, because I thought the buckle on my GW-5000B was DLC coated, so I took a knife to it and it scratched with ease I wasn't even pressing hard. Will the DLC screwback scratch just as easily?
    Currently:

Rolex Milgauss 116400GV
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Omega Seamaster 300M ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003.007.90210.WTF.BBQ.LOL.187.911. 12345
    Omega Seamaster 300M 2254.50.00
    Omega Seamaster 166.002
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Seiko SARB035
    G-Shock
    GMWB5000D-1

Re: Did anyone scratch your DLC coated G-Shock yet?

Search for threads on DLC. I know there was one with pictures where someone keyed a clasp and it did make a huge mark. Thing was the mark was the metal of the key coming off on the DLC surface and it was then wiped away.

I have a hair of a scratch that I can only see in the proper light on the clasp of my DLC Citizen. Not sure I even made it as it could have been there from the start. They can be scratched but it's normally from DLC surfaces of the watch hitting it and the contact points in the band and its connection point I'd imagine.

However, I did see an MRG-7500 on eBay that was scratched to pieces. Not sure how the guy did it but it was a mess. Interestingly the sapphire was untouched.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Mine has not, and I wear mine to the gym where I bang it against barbells with heavy knurls. It's been about a month, and I don't baby my GW-M5600b. So far so good, but nothing other than diamond is scratch proof.
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by natornate View Post
    Search for threads on DLC. I know there was one with pictures where someone keyed a clasp and it did make a huge mark. Thing was the mark was the metal of the key coming off on the DLC surface and it was then wiped away.
    I remember seeing that too, that's why I tried scratching mine, but my scratches won't wipe away. They're actual scratches I can feel with my fingernail. I don't mind since it's on the underside of the buckle.
    Currently:

Rolex Milgauss 116400GV
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Omega Seamaster 300M ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003.007.90210.WTF.BBQ.LOL.187.911. 12345
    Omega Seamaster 300M 2254.50.00
    Omega Seamaster 166.002
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Seiko SARB035
    G-Shock
    GMWB5000D-1

Different models have different types of DLC treatment as well. I had a MR-G 7500 and 7100 and they had no scratches and were very tough. The earlier MR-G's have a "weaker" DLC...my favorite of the bunch, which I still own is the MR-G 3000. Unfortunately there are two very noticeable scratches on the bracelet, and a tiny fade on the bezel. I can tell from the coloring and feel that the DLC is not as sturdy...

Quote Originally Posted by natornate View Post
    However, I did see an MRG-7500 on eBay that was scratched to pieces. Not sure how the guy did it but it was a mess. Interestingly the sapphire was untouched.
    From: http://www.gmtplusnine.com/2009/04/0...-watchlist-14/

OK so it looks like it might not be as durable as some have been saying. I dont think the new Frog for an example is going to have the same DLC as the MRG 8000 guess we will just have to wait and if they do scratch someones going to wonder why they paid sooo much

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Actually $500-700 is on the low end for a DLC watch so even if it isn't the best level of coating it is not a complete waste.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

I can see the point of DLC on the back of a watch, where you need all the protection you can get against sweat.

But having a coating on the body/bezel that contrasts with the underlying material is a recipe for tears. Especially on a large watch, as thick watches get knocked around more often.

It doesn't matter how tough or wear resistant or 'bonded' the coating is if you hit the watch hard enough to deform the underlying material, the coating will scratch or chip.

A watch should be valued for its substance rather than its pretty veneer.

wearing my gw5000b today, i looked at the buckle and wondered more or less the same thing. so after seeing your post i took my spring bar tool that was next to me and tried a little scratch on the inside of the buckle. i was able to leave a 1mm hairline type scratch. possible the buckle is coated differently than the caseback? the black of the coating wasn't removed, but maybe it could be if scratched against a larger object. that said, i could 'feel' the tip gliding across the buckle and i'm sure it would be a deeper scratch without the coating.

overall i have warmed to the value of the coating, and would seek it out.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information