Did I overcook my module?

Thread: Did I overcook my module?

Did I overcook my module?

I recently received my new GW700BDJ-2 [BTW it's awesome....the all-steel G-Shocks are definitely serious pieces of work] and decided to put it under my halogen desk lamp to get it starting to charge up [it was flat on receipt, and too late in the day for direct sunlight].

After a few hours I checked it and found that the light had heated the watch waaay up...it was too hot to touch and the LCD was blacked out. I let it cool and the LCD came back to life, but now I see that the display is dim and a little hard to read in normal daylight, unless I turn it just right to reflect the light. All the other functions seem to be fine...the atomic clock radio signal has been absolutely reliable, FWIW.

Is this normal for the reverse LCD displays, or did the heat weaken the display?

As it is, I am thinking of replacing the module with a regular non-reversed LCD...is this feasible to do myself? Can I even order new modules from Casio, or elsewhere?

Any advice would be appreciated...
    Keep List:

Seiko SKXA35 Auto Diver
    Stauer Day/Date/Month Auto
    Glycine Incursore 100M Auto
    O&W Ocean Master Vintage handwinder
    G-Shock GW3000BD-1ajfa
    G-Shock MTG910DA-1
    Citizen EcoZilla diver
    Hamilton Khaki Officer 44mm Unitas w/custom hands and lume
    Volmax Aviator 45mm handwinder
    Laco 42mm B-Type Flieger

Wish List:

Glycine Eugene Meylan
    Hamilton Jazzmaster PR
    Meistersinger Singlehand
    A +40mm Seiko Alpinist, if Seiko ever decides to make one...

My wrist size - 8"/20.3cm

Re: Did I overcook my module?

token not sure but it could be it was got too hot and still did not get charged all the way i would give it another day not in direct sunlight. I have heard about someone putting there g in a glass of water to keep it cool while it was charging. again i would give in some time to charge

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    I let it cool and the LCD came back to life, but now I see that the display is dim and a little hard to read in normal daylight, unless I turn it just right to reflect the light. [...]

Is this normal for the reverse LCD displays, or did the heat weaken the display?
    Yes, reverse displays are significantly more dependent on proper viewing angles than regular ones. That's why many folks here don't like them.

As it is, I am thinking of replacing the module with a regular non-reversed LCD...is this feasible to do myself? Can I even order new modules from Casio, or elsewhere?
    It might still be cheaper to order a new watch and swap the modules. At least in my GW-810H it was very easy to remove the module from the case. It's not really more difficult than replacing a G-SHOCK battery as long as you take some care not to leave dust or fingerprints on the display or the inside of the crystal.

However, I would only try to swap it with the same module type, just with the opposite display. Other modules might not fit snugly in the case or have different pusher positions.

Using a second module donor watch has the positive side effect of having two functional watches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Token,

The same thing happened to MTG-911DMS last year when I placed it on the balcony of my family apartment for charging. The sun was strong and the watch was really hot, in fact the LCD also blackened. However, everything returned to normal after it has cooled down.

The manual also stated that the LCD would return to normal after the watch has cooled down. So, no worries there.

Cheers,
    MountainMike

Gentlemen -- Thanks for your advice...

Jersterca -- Actually, the watch charged up to full without any problems...I was aware that it takes a while to get there [and after a few days of sunlight it did], it's just that I was impatient the first evening.:oops:

MRG-1000 -- I was advised in another thread that the non-reverse LCDs were better for visibility, but I didn't realize how good that advice was. In any case, I REALLY like the colour scheme of the 700BDJ, so I wasn't inclined to listen.... I've considered getting a second watch and swapping modules, but I thought it might go cheaper to order the bare module from Casio. Believe me, there is no shortage of functional spare watches around Chez Token . It seems to me that the EL backlight is also very dim, but that could just be my middle-aged eyes letting me down.

MountainMike - Yes, I read that in the manual too, but since I didn't really have a good idea of what the display was like before the, ummm...heating incident, I wasn't sure if practically cooking it under a high-intensity light fell into the same category as too much sun or other natural source. There is evidently no way to tell what the normal display should look like based on the sales promo pictures ....
    Last edited by Token; August 20th, 2008 at 13:32.
    Keep List:

Seiko SKXA35 Auto Diver
    G-Shock GW3000BD-1ajfa
    G-Shock MTG910DA-1
    Citizen EcoZilla diver
    Laco 42mm B-Type Flieger

Wish List:

Glycine Eugene Meylan
    Hamilton Jazzmaster PR
    Meistersinger Singlehand

It may be that the battery, though showing fully charged is not, or is weak. If it was flat, it would take more than a few hours under a lamp to fully charge. It takes many hours in full sunlight. I would give it some more light time. If still a problem, consider a battery swap.

I've considered getting a second watch and swapping modules, but I thought it might go cheaper to order the bare module from Casio. Believe me, there is no shortage of functional spare watches around Chez Token .
    The intention is understood. I was rather trying to point out that getting a good deal for a new watch might still be cheaper than a spare part module. I've seen spare parts being sold for horrendous prices.

You should get a quote regarding the module's price before making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by MRG-1000 View Post
    ...a good deal for a new watch might still be cheaper than a spare part module. I've seen spare parts being sold for horrendous prices...You should get a quote regarding the module's price before making a decision.

Excellent advice again....this time I'll heed it. :thanks
    Keep List:

Seiko SKXA35 Auto Diver
    G-Shock GW3000BD-1ajfa
    G-Shock MTG910DA-1
    Citizen EcoZilla diver
    Laco 42mm B-Type Flieger

Wish List:

Glycine Eugene Meylan
    Hamilton Jazzmaster PR
    Meistersinger Singlehand

I did the same thing as you put my frogman benease the lamp and made LCD become black .
    The time is past about 30 mins .
    Im lucky , after cool down , everything is ok .

the next experience , I take my 3 frogmans under sun at noon .
    again about 30 mins , I got 3 black face frog . and final everything is OK .

Im not really sure why it turn to black and get back .
    you can try to change a new ...

maybe work ...

Thread Information