Difference in white resin quality?

Thread: Difference in white resin quality?

Difference in white resin quality?

I just noticed that my brand new Baby G BGR300-7 is already discoloured. I've only had it 2 weeks and it's turned distinctly gray/brown. I haven't even worn it that much! My G300LV-7 is a couple months old, has been in the ocean, lakes, hiking and thrashing around in the bush geocaching, cycling....and still looks pristine.
    I knew going in that white resin was prone to discolouration, but yikes....I thought I'd get more that a few hours' wrist time before things went bad on the Baby G.

Normal, or...?
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Re: Difference in white resin quality?

Is the Baby G a Glossy white or a matte white? Some people have said the Glossy whites are less prone to dirt?

Quote Originally Posted by W44NE G View Post
    Is the Baby G a Glossy white or a matte white? Some people have said the Glossy whites are less prone to dirt?
    Ah. Good point. The Baby G is matte, and the G300 has a neat pearlescent matte finish. The surface of the G300 feels harder, so probably less porous?
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've seen two distinct finishes on the white watches. Just as you've noticed, one has a harder less porous surface (they are actually coated I think) and those will resist discoloration much better than the softer non coated white models. However, those cioated models can develop chips in the surface if they are banged hard against something sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by petew View Post
    I've seen two distinct finishes on the white watches. Just as you've noticed, one has a harder less porous surface (they are actually coated I think) and those will resist discoloration much better than the softer non coated white models. However, those cioated models can develop chips in the surface if they are banged hard against something sharp.
    I have seen 3 finishes:

Full glossy coating as on the MIIW Riseman or Crazy Color DW-6900
    Semi Matte finish as on the White/Black DW-5600 Fifa, it is not fully glosssy but appears to have some sort of coating. And then we have the full matte white as on the new GW-6900.

I will never buy a full matte white one as those are virtually impossible to keep clean, it is almost as if they get dirty by just looking at them hehe

I much prefer the glossy ones!
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Suspended

Does the dirt come off with washing or is it stuck to the plastic.

I so what something white. I expect it to get dirty, but as long as it washes off, I don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    I have seen 3 finishes:

Full glossy coating as on the MIIW Riseman or Crazy Color DW-6900
    Semi Matte finish as on the White/Black DW-5600 Fifa, it is not fully glosssy but appears to have some sort of coating. And then we have the full matte white as on the new GW-6900.

I will never buy a full matte white one as those are virtually impossible to keep clean, it is almost as if they get dirty by just looking at them hehe

I much prefer the glossy ones!
    Yes, I think the finish is what really matters. Some absorb dirt and others seemingly repel it.

Replacing the resin parts seems to be the only 100% solution for stained ones. Its' a shame, but just the nature of the materials.

Interesting thread. Does both the new white GWM5600 and GW6900 come in the glossy or matte finish? I was thinking about getting one of those, but probably wont if they don't keep their colours.

Thread Information