digital camera question?

Thread: digital camera question?

digital camera question?

Im thinking of buying a digital camera. Nothing expensive or fancy. Just the basic. I have since been using my cellphone camera to take pics, buts its crappy.

What I expect from a basic digital camera is crisp and clear pictures. Can anybody recommend or advise what features I should look for in a digital camera. Is it the the number of megapixels (does higher megapixels mean clearer pics?) or is it something else or a combination of what features? Will a 5.0 megapixel camera produce clear pics?

Thanks for any advise

Wink Re: digital camera question?

Hi Smersh,

use a 5 mpix camera for three years now. It's the Canon G5. I paid €750,- for it in those days. Now you can get a Canon G7 for around €450,- with 10 MPix and a Canon S3 for around €350,-.

I use actualy about 4 Mpix of my camera (about 2 - 2.5 Mb per picture), and I think most of my pictures are clear enough for web-use.

Nikon makes great camera's too. Note that the prices I mention are prices in the Netherlands. Prices in the US can be much cheaper, because the VAT is very low.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: digital camera question?

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Hi Smersh,

use a 5 mpix camera for three years now. It's the Canon G5. I paid €750,- for it in those days. Now you can get a Canon G7 for around €450,- with 10 MPix and a Canon S3 for around €350,-.

I use actualy about 4 Mpix of my camera (about 2 - 2.5 Mb per picture), and I think most of my pictures are clear enough for web-use.

Nikon makes great camera's too. Note that the prices I mention are prices in the Netherlands. Prices in the US can be much cheaper, because the VAT is very low.

Cheers,

Sjors

Thanks Sjors.
    Actually I have set my sights on a basic Kodak C530 . Its US100+ only. 5 megapix, 1.5 inch TFT LCD, and 5x digital zoom , has video capture but no sound capture, and 16mb of internal memory. Is this okay?

By the way, whats the difference between opitcal zoom versus digital zoom?

Thanks
    Last edited by Sjors; November 27th, 2006 at 14:39.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Smersh,

I can't recommend digital zoom (and so will probably do a lot of photographers). The camera will calculate the reality in stead of recording it, so the photo's appear less sharp and clear when using digital zoom.

When using 5 Mpix full capacity, you won't need much zoom. Actually I almost cut out the interesting part, and then I even have to resize. Check if the camera has a good close-up/macro feature, that's the most important feature I use when I make pictures of my watches.

A walk to the nearest photographer shop might learn you probably more if you ask what they recommend in the $100,- to $150,- range.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Picture Re: digital camera question?

I use a Panasonic Lumix 5.0 megapixel camera. Great macro facility with a steady hand/shake eliminator feature for perfect shots......

Last edited by crimbocop; November 27th, 2006 at 22:05.

"Let's be careful out there!"

Whow your pictures look great!

So much better than my pics

Have a nice day,

Ad.

Wink Re: digital camera question?

I know my parents have a Panasonic Camera. They are also very good rated I believe. Indeed Crimbocop, your pictures are very sharp indeed. Specially in the Macro's!

Are those shot out of the hand with image stabilizer or tripod shots?

Cheers,

Sjors

Picture Re: digital camera question?

Hi smersh,
    my reccomendation is for a Sony dsc-w30/w50. Ultracompact camera with 2 cm macro mode, a good set of useful functions and a live histogram view. I think you can have it now for about 170-190 $. I've used the w30 in the last months and i've taken almost 600 pics. I'm satisfied (and i'm not a skilled photographer.. ). Some pics (sorry for the big size):

Regards
    JK
    Fugit Inreparabile Tempus

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    I know my parents have a Panasonic Camera. They are also very good rated I believe. Indeed Crimbocop, your pictures are very sharp indeed. Specially in the Macro's!

Are those shot out of the hand with image stabilizer or tripod shots?

Cheers,

Sjors

Yes, all hand held, no tripod, just using the image stabilizer facility. The wrist shots ...... I just stand out the back door in the best light and hold the camera single handed!

"Let's be careful out there!"

Thread Information